How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public? - Page 3

How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

This is a discussion on How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be careful on OC legal states . I'm in MO and open carry is legal according to the state; however in certain locales it isn't, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

Be careful on OC legal states. I'm in MO and open carry is legal according to the state; however in certain locales it isn't, like North Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    ...for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
    Not comfortable for a second. There are times my CC is visable (say placing a firearm in the trunk on the way into church). I'm discrete, but there is always the possibility. I'm not overly worried (legaly speaking), but I'm never comfortable exposing my firearm.

Here in MI it is legal to OC. With a permit it is legal to CC. I do not know if it is illegal to transition from CC to OC or OC to CC. However, that may not be the issue you face depending on factors like who, what, where, and when.

I'm not sure about AZ, but in MI, OC state laws and a CC permits do not give you the "right" to transition from OC to CC or CC to OC in public. I have been told this by LEOs who are very pro CC. I believe there are even requirements with the CCW that prevent you (per the permit rules) from going CC to OC. As to how much trouble you will get yourself, I would guess it depends on several variables.

I've been slapped around a lot concerning OC issues, but this time, that is my $.02 and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    CC'd for my first time today. Relatively cool in AZ, a nippy 75 or so degrees (yes, the midwesterners and east coaster can now be jealous), so I was able to wear a light jacket over my shirt and tie.

But then it got a bit too warm for me. Took my jacket off and quickly got into my car. Gas was running low on the Bonehead-Mobile, so I stopped in at the station around my house. Stepped out of the car, very cognizant of the fact that my IWB holster and full-framed .45 were in plain sight. While it's perfectly legal to open carry in AZ, I naturally felt very self-conscious about it. When another car pulled up to the pump next to me, I made a concerted effort to turn my body to keep the gun out of their line of sight.

So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
    Hey, Bonehead:

I live in AZ as well, and while I CC most of the time, if I do let it flash occasionally, I don't worry about it. Nobody is going to care here, firearms are a part of life, and even with the massive number of Californicators moving here, still, nobody pays a lot of attention to someone with a gun.

YMMV

Lon

OC is legal in NM. I CC every day but have never intentionally open carried. I don't worry about being uncovered momentarily, but don't do it regularly. That said, my observations so far are that most people are so absorbed in their daily life and so used to seeing PDAs, phones, and all manner of stuff on peoples belts that it doesn't even register with them.

I have OC'd a couple times. I don't think anyone noticed. I CC all the time though and only expose myself when I bend wrong and my shirt slides up too far with my IWB. I have been carrying in my SmartCarry lately and I would have to go on the "sex offender" list to expose myself with that ;). Down here in Vegas if you OC there is a good chance some nancy-boy will call 911, you'll turn into a "man with a gun" and end up proned out on the sidewalk, the cops might take your gun for good measure. I'm sure up north and in some of the rural counties OC isn't a big deal though.

I think where legal, everyone should OC at least once and see how unobservant people are. I was having a conversation with a friend of my Dad's and the lady didn't have the faintest clue I was carrying OWB with my Sig P-226.
    Last edited by NickEMT; December 18th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Not even at home, my 2 oldest kids know but if I don't want them knowing I am armed so I can avoid "my Daddy's got a gun" comments should something go down.

Plus its not legal in TX, yet.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Not even at home, my 2 oldest kids know but if I don't want them knowing I am armed so I can avoid "my Daddy's got a gun" comments should something go down.

Plus its not legal in TX, yet.
    That is very good discipline, with a very good reason.

I have no children, but at home, just typing on a computer, I take my carry piece out and place it in a lock box next to the computer. When I leave that area, I take the gun with me. But all the while, it is obvious.

If I had children, I guess I would be more careful, but I'm not sure I could have the discipline you have.

No Exposure

Personally, I do not want my gun visible to anyone. It serves no purpose to wear a gun for all to see. It just creates attention to an already sensitive issue. Element of surprise also has advantages when dealing with unsavory elements. At home, my 9mm Glock 26 is immediately placed into a handgun safe next to my recliner in the den. It is opened using biometrics in less than 2 seconds, and is safe from my 6 year old. Have another safe in bedroom that houses a seperate .38 that is never removed.

I have never "become exposed" - I use a SmartCarry 24/7/365.
    As far as I'm concerned "concealed" means "CONCEALED (100%)".

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Never exposed...don't plan on having it ever happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    As far as I'm concerned "concealed" means "CONCEALED (100%)".
    Amen my brother!

All day if I want.

I never expose my gun you never know who will call the police, then you have a whole lot of talking to do.

NC is an OC state, prior to my attaining my CCL I OCed on occasion. I have no problem with it. I prefer CC, but can deal with OC as well.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I live in an OC state and use my CC permit everyday, I NEVER let anyone see my weapon....I mostly use an ankle holster, and when I have to sit I try to make sure no one else can see it.
    SAEPIUS EXERTUS-SEMPER FIDELIS-FRATER INFINITAS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links