Defensive Carry banner

How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

6K views 53 replies 42 participants last post by  Tom G 
#1 ·
CC'd for my first time today. Relatively cool in AZ, a nippy 75 or so degrees (yes, the midwesterners and east coaster can now be jealous:wave:), so I was able to wear a light jacket over my shirt and tie.

But then it got a bit too warm for me. Took my jacket off and quickly got into my car. Gas was running low on the Bonehead-Mobile:fahrzeug019:, so I stopped in at the station around my house. Stepped out of the car, very cognizant of the fact that my IWB holster and full-framed .45 were in plain sight. While it's perfectly legal to open carry in AZ, I naturally felt very self-conscious about it. When another car pulled up to the pump next to me, I made a concerted effort to turn my body to keep the gun out of their line of sight.

So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?

#5 ·
I always conceal. But there are days when I'm using my OWB and just make sure my sweatshirt or coat is pulled down. The longer you have it, the less attention to pay to the "Can anyone see my gun" idea. You realize that you could have a machine gun on you and no one would hardly notice.

#8 ·
The longer you have it, the less attention to pay to the "Can anyone see my gun" idea. You realize that you could have a machine gun on you and no one would hardly notice.
Haha. Probably quite true. But as I said, this was my first day. Found myself darting in and out my car just so no one could get a good look at my (fat) waist-area.

#6 ·
Its not an issue in Idaho. I don't flagrantly display when I carry and most of the time try and remain discreet. But if, for whatever reason such as in your case, I don't worry about it, at least in this State. I see others OC quite often and think nothing of it.

#22 ·
I agree 100%. OC is legal here in TN, but not common in my part of EAST TN. I not only prefer to keep the tactical advantage, but also not spook sheeple, or have an "anti" call in a "man with a gun"

So for me...no exposure for any length of time is comfortable.

#12 ·
I think I may have posed this question incorrectly. I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times. But there are times and circumstances when you would have to become 'exposed' i.e. wearing a tucked in shirt and having to remove your jacket.
I have to wear a shirt and tie everyday to work, so the baggy t-shirt or untucked button-down or polo is not an option for me.

Would you just remain exposed indefinitely or is there an amount of time you would be uncomfortable 'open-carrying' and rather just remove your sidearm out of plain sight?

#20 ·
I think I may have posed this question incorrectly. I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times. But there are times and circumstances when you would have to become 'exposed' i.e. wearing a tucked in shirt and having to remove your jacket.
I set up my concealed carry system to work with a tucked shirt and no cover garment, so that is a non-issue for me. I'm planning on getting a pocket gun for situations that I know in advance are going to be problematic for my normal carry system, so that will allow me to be armed 24/7 with no risk of my cover being blown.

:hand10:

#13 ·
It was warm for this time of year here in Southwest Tennessee and I went to Costco and shopped, went to Walmart to pick up a few things, stopped and got gas, went to the drug store to pick up a prescription for my wife and then had lunch at the local Subway sandwich shop. This all took about 3 1/2 hours. All of this I did with a white T-shirt on and my Glock 23 in the Blackhawk SERPA holster completely exposed, open carrying the entire time.

It's legal, it is very common here, so no big deal. You (the OP) live in an open carry legal state too, it will get easier with time. It's no big deal.:yup:

I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times.
That is entirely a matter of opinion. And one which has started many a debate on here and other gun forums. I do not agree that it is better to keep it concealed but to each his own.

#15 ·
This is probably a worn out reply, but here goes: Concealed is concealed.

I (carefully) check myself in the Home Depot parking lot, gas station, etc. If something is going down I don't want to be the first target.

If nothing is going down I don't want to be the reason that a dozen folks dialed 911.

#18 ·
It isn't legal in Tx and one phone call will get you arrested,on the other hand if it was as long as you act normal then nobody is gonna pay much attention,but if you act nervous you may set off that 6th sense buzzer and get an LEO visit

#21 ·
I'm an Arizonan too. For the most part it's prudent for me to keep things to myself (concealed). Depending on where I am, and what I'm doing I will occasionally open carry.

In my own neighborhood I keep it concealed because I don't really trust my neighbors and don't want them to get any thoughts about what else may be in our apartment, when I venture to other parts of the valley it's not such a big deal.

I had a friend down in Coolidge (very small town) that had a church. Down there open carry is pretty common. I've led Bible study and even preached while open carrying.

One thing I have noticed about open carry, I used to OC all the time before Arizona let us carry concealed. If your comfortable with it, very few people even notice. If you're constantly fussing with it, adjusting it, leaning your elbow on it then everyone seems to notice.

Holdcard

#23 ·
I don't usually time how long I OC....it is situation dependent. No issues OCing at the gas pump...

#24 ·
My method of carry never allows for my firearm to be exposed - ever - my pants would have to fall off for that to happen.

#25 ·
I don't really feel terribly comfortable OCing in public here in PHX. I actually had the cops called on me because "i was a man with a gun". At any rate, I usually only OC when I go out shooting in the desert :tumbleweed: or on my way to/from the range.

I am waiting for me CCW permit to come back, should be any day now! Once that happens, I'll prolly never OC again.

#27 ·
I was only aware of exposing once, getting out of the car to get gas. My seat belt pulled up my shirt over gun handle. My wife had to let me know I was exposed

#30 ·
So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
OC is 100% legal here in Kentucky. However doing so brings with it some unwanted comments and negative opinons. Especially the town I live in. Suddenly OCing a gun in a small town you have grown up it, causes people to suddenly have different opinion of you. And one which is typically not positive.

I have OCed - I have also felt like all eyes were on me. A feeling I just don't like.

Craig

#32 ·
...for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?
Not comfortable for a second. There are times my CC is visable (say placing a firearm in the trunk on the way into church). I'm discrete, but there is always the possibility. I'm not overly worried (legaly speaking), but I'm never comfortable exposing my firearm.

Here in MI it is legal to OC. With a permit it is legal to CC. I do not know if it is illegal to transition from CC to OC or OC to CC. However, that may not be the issue you face depending on factors like who, what, where, and when.

I'm not sure about AZ, but in MI, OC state laws and a CC permits do not give you the "right" to transition from OC to CC or CC to OC in public. I have been told this by LEOs who are very pro CC. I believe there are even requirements with the CCW that prevent you (per the permit rules) from going CC to OC. As to how much trouble you will get yourself, I would guess it depends on several variables.

I've been slapped around a lot concerning OC issues, but this time, that is my $.02 and I'm sticking to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.