How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

This is a discussion on How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CC'd for my first time today. Relatively cool in AZ, a nippy 75 or so degrees (yes, the midwesterners and east coaster can now be ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much/how long do you keep your CC exposed in public?

CC'd for my first time today. Relatively cool in AZ, a nippy 75 or so degrees (yes, the midwesterners and east coaster can now be jealous), so I was able to wear a light jacket over my shirt and tie.

But then it got a bit too warm for me. Took my jacket off and quickly got into my car. Gas was running low on the Bonehead-Mobile, so I stopped in at the station around my house. Stepped out of the car, very cognizant of the fact that my IWB holster and full-framed .45 were in plain sight. While it's perfectly legal to open carry in AZ, I naturally felt very self-conscious about it. When another car pulled up to the pump next to me, I made a concerted effort to turn my body to keep the gun out of their line of sight.

So, that brings me to my question: for those in OC and CC legal states, how long are you comfortable keeping you gun exposed and how much of it is exposed?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i feel natural open carrying so i don't realy worry about it. I wear an owb so mine is always exposed when I oc

I might let my gun show briefly if changing jackets/shirts just outside my car or something, but thats about it.

Never OC'd (yet) even tho legal.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I always conceal. But there are days when I'm using my OWB and just make sure my sweatshirt or coat is pulled down. The longer you have it, the less attention to pay to the "Can anyone see my gun" idea. You realize that you could have a machine gun on you and no one would hardly notice.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Its not an issue in Idaho. I don't flagrantly display when I carry and most of the time try and remain discreet. But if, for whatever reason such as in your case, I don't worry about it, at least in this State. I see others OC quite often and think nothing of it.
    ...T. Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Never OC'd (yet) even tho legal.
    I am the exact same way. Just not a fan of OC. To each their own though.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    The longer you have it, the less attention to pay to the "Can anyone see my gun" idea. You realize that you could have a machine gun on you and no one would hardly notice.
    Haha. Probably quite true. But as I said, this was my first day. Found myself darting in and out my car just so no one could get a good look at my (fat) waist-area.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Even though its legal, I never OC. I refuse to advertise. The element of surprise is far superior than the target of fate.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Never.

It sucks that in the part of las vegas (technically north las vegas) OP is ilegal.

I think I may have posed this question incorrectly. I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times. But there are times and circumstances when you would have to become 'exposed' i.e. wearing a tucked in shirt and having to remove your jacket.
    I have to wear a shirt and tie everyday to work, so the baggy t-shirt or untucked button-down or polo is not an option for me.

Would you just remain exposed indefinitely or is there an amount of time you would be uncomfortable 'open-carrying' and rather just remove your sidearm out of plain sight?

It was warm for this time of year here in Southwest Tennessee and I went to Costco and shopped, went to Walmart to pick up a few things, stopped and got gas, went to the drug store to pick up a prescription for my wife and then had lunch at the local Subway sandwich shop. This all took about 3 1/2 hours. All of this I did with a white T-shirt on and my Glock 23 in the Blackhawk SERPA holster completely exposed, open carrying the entire time.

It's legal, it is very common here, so no big deal. You (the OP) live in an open carry legal state too, it will get easier with time. It's no big deal.

I realize it would be preferable to remain concealed at all times.
    That is entirely a matter of opinion. And one which has started many a debate on here and other gun forums. I do not agree that it is better to keep it concealed but to each his own.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Now that you mention the tucked shirt, i expose when i get my hair cut. I've been going to the same place with the same 2-3 ladies for years, so they won't freak if i have a gun.

This is probably a worn out reply, but here goes: Concealed is concealed.

I (carefully) check myself in the Home Depot parking lot, gas station, etc. If something is going down I don't want to be the first target.

If nothing is going down I don't want to be the reason that a dozen folks dialed 911.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links