New article on the soccer mom in PA... - Page 2

New article on the soccer mom in PA...

This is a discussion on New article on the soccer mom in PA... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an odd case....... If someone at the game was armed with their CCW would it be more dangerous, less dangerous, or equally dangerous...??? ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New article on the soccer mom in PA...

This is an odd case.......

If someone at the game was armed with their CCW would it be more dangerous, less dangerous, or equally dangerous...???

Obviously we know that it is none and not dangerous at all. What makes carrying open supposed more dangerous then carrying concealed? As the sheriff indicates by saying she should conceal it, he must feel a CCW is somehow safer than a OCW.... this makes no sense.

Obviously it is not the weapon that is safer or unsafer, it is the people who are "seeing" it that are making the difference not the person carrying it. I'm certain that here in NY since you cannot carry open, there are people at soccer games with their CCW right there with kids around.

I applaud her for sticking to her guns (no pun intended) because I personally would not buck the system and would probably give in to concealing it. But I also like having it concealed, as the element of surprise is a nice thing to have as a weapon to aid your weapon.

Yes 4013 (69.3%)
    No 1777 (30.7%)

I wear mine concealed around my grandkids all of the time, so what's the difference if I had it concealed or open ?

The Brady Center is sure trying to make their points.... and defending the county and Cheif , at no expense.

Where's the NRA, and others... in her defense ?

"It's an incredible risk to bring a loaded semi-automatic weapon to a children's soccer game."

No one disputes Hain's right to own a gun. Many of her critics are hunters. But they say that packing heat at a soccer game - or anywhere else around children - is dangerous and foolhardy.

I'm teaching my grandkids gun safety, and how to shoot. They're both pretty good and have a lot of respect for guns. How is she endangering anyone, unless she pulls it out and shoots someone ?? Idiots think it's going to go off by itself ?

This Washington Times article from 2001 shows that violence does happen anywhere, even at kids' soccer games.

Six charged in fatal stabbing during soccer-game melee.(Metropolitan)(Virginia) | Article from The Washington Times | HighBeam Research

The incident happened in 2001 in Culpeper County, Virginia. A coach was stabbed and died from his wounds. Three others were injured. I posted the URL and my comments at Philly.com below the article.

I sure hope she wins her case and shuts up the local officials.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    You can bet the department will want to settle with a non-disclosure clause, I would tell them to stick and if they want to settle, pay all of the costs including loss of business, a large newspaper ad that they were wrong and fully support her rights.

"It's an incredible risk to bring a loaded semi-automatic weapon to a children's soccer game."
    The real risk is going around completely and utterly unarmed, incapable of mounting a defense against the heinous and violent acts criminals see fit to perpetrate, these days. Now, that is a risk.

An upstanding person having the means to resist an overt, violent person crime is no more of a threat to children than that the children's own parents.

No one disputes Hain's right to own a gun. Many of her critics are hunters. But they say that packing heat at a soccer game - or anywhere else around children - is dangerous and foolhardy.

"You scared the devil out of some other people," Eby said.
    Such fearful people running around with the devil in them seem much more of a threat than parents refusing to have zero ability to protect their own families.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So if it's an INCREDIBLE RISK to bring a semi auto weapon around kids at a soccer game then wouldn't the sheriff be just as reckless? This is simple arrogance. Or maybe his wasn't LOADED.

I am wondering if the NRA is staying out because

1. They feel this is a slam dunk case
    2. They want this win without the taint of the big bad NRA involved. Let the Brady Bunch earn their all on their lonesome.

I agree with the feelings on the settlement. BITE ME! Pay my legal expenses, lost wages, and a VERY public admission of guilt by the Sheriff and a VERY public apology from the media for fueling the fear factor.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I am wondering if the NRA is staying out because

1. They feel this is a slam dunk case
    2. They want this win without the taint of the big bad NRA involved.

I agree with the feelings on the settlement. BITE ME! Pay my legal expenses, lost wages, and a VERY public admission of guilt by the Sheriff and a VERY public apology from the media for fueling the fear factor.

Probably both...If by some odd chance she should lose, then I suspect the NRA would step in to appeal.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

VIP Member
    Moreover, it increases the change [sic] of accidental shootings, Vice of the Brady Center said. And a child could easily grab it.
    If the paper can't even use the right words, how do we expect them to use the right facts?

I'm very curious as to the basis for Vice's musings... Is there some study that I'm not aware of that has shown an increased risk of "accidental shootings" for folks who OC rather than CC? Has there ever been a single incident, ever, of a child snatching a gun from an OCer's holster and shooting someone? I swear, sometimes the audacity of their lies still surprises me...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Drail View Post
    So if it's an INCREDIBLE RISK to bring a semi auto weapon around kids at a soccer game then wouldn't the sheriff be just as reckless?
    Exactly. A ludicrous argument that holds no water.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ... I swear, sometimes the audacity of their lies still surprises me...
    It is not the audacity of lies, it is the overwhelming fear of "What If".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

It's now at 72% for , to 28% against!
    Slaves are taken care of. Free men take care of themselves.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drail View Post
    So if it's an INCREDIBLE RISK to bring a semi auto weapon around kids at a soccer game then wouldn't the sheriff be just as reckless? This is simple arrogance. Or maybe his wasn't LOADED.
    Amen!

Here is my position. If I had to leave my child with someone, while being well aware of child abductions, I would much rather leave him or her with an armd citizen than an unarmed one. Especially so when out in the public. Period... Nuff said.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    A PUBLIC APOLOGY BY THE MEDIA !!! Don't hold your breath for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If the paper can't even use the right words, how do we expect them to use the right facts?

I'm very curious as to the basis for Vice's musings... Is there some study that I'm not aware of that has shown an increased risk of "accidental shootings" for folks who OC rather than CC? Has there ever been a single incident, ever, of a child snatching a gun from an OCer's holster and shooting someone? I swear, sometimes the audacity of their lies still surprises me...
    Not to be rude or anything, but that's what [sic] is for.

It means it was a direct quotation of a word used incorrectly or misspelled and they are citing the use of sic to represent it was not their intention. It could be quotation of slang, an old spelling of a word, or anything such as this.

And hey what's up guys, looks like a great forum and i look forward to participating in your community. :D

And as far as this article goes, pretty sure she's going to win, with the open carry law, she's done nothing wrong. Except be politically incorrect, and "offended" people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links