New article on the soccer mom in PA...

This is a discussion on New article on the soccer mom in PA... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there was a long running thread before that ended up being closed. I'm just posting this one as it looks to be a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New article on the soccer mom in PA...

New article on the soccer mom in PA...

I know there was a long running thread before that ended up being closed. I'm just posting this one as it looks to be a fairly even sided 2 page article on it. She actually seems pretty level-headed and I wouldn't be surprised if she's one of our lurking members here...

At any rate please don't devolve into shouting matches...

Gun-toting woman divides community | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/12/2008
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

The law either says "you can" or "you can't" carry. The sheriff should not be making judgements on emotion - either his or the anti's.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I see it as slanted more to the anti side, typical for a Philly News rag. You have to love the way they worded the poll.

Should people be allowed to carry guns around children?
    Yes--1295 (57.8%)
    No---944 (42.2%)

Now, lets look at the question. Where are you going to be able to carry a gun and NOT be around children? The movies? Nope, children there. The mall, nope again. Walmart, grocery store, drug store, nope, kids at all those places also.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    She seems to be a level-headed person, and I see no problem with her exercising her 2nd amendment rights. People need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize that the world isn't a nice place, and that children would be a likely target for those looking to make media headlines.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

There's a poll at the bottom...be sure to hit it. We're up so far...
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

In the article, about the only thing I think she is in error on was here statement when she refused to leave a Wal-Mart when they asked her to leave. Don't know specifically about Pennsylvania, but in most states that could open you up to being arrested for trespassing.

The rest of the article contains numerous statements that are either wrong, or down-right scarry.

DeLeo, who calls himself a staunch NRA member, said he has nothing against guns but felt it was his duty to take action "because of the safety and security issues involving [children] on the field."
    Last week, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered to defend DeLeo and the county for free.

"This is a case that calls out for common sense and sanity," said Daniel Vice, the center's senior attorney. "It's an incredible risk to bring a loaded semi-automatic weapon to a children's soccer game."
    No one disputes Hain's right to own a gun. Many of her critics are hunters. But they say that packing heat at a soccer game - or anywhere else around children - is dangerous and foolhardy.
    Even Judge Robert J. Eby, who restored her permit on Oct. 14, said he thought she lacked good judgment and common sense.

"You scared the devil out of some other people," Eby said.

He chided her for causing anxiety and apprehension in other people and said he didn't think anyone needed gun protection at a 5-year-old's soccer game.
    Others, though, say they can't understand why she feels so threatened.

"I said, 'Kids are more in danger of falling off a piece of playground equipment or getting hit by a car in the parking lot than anybody coming and doing anything where you need a gun to defend yourself,' " Jones said.
    "Semiautomatic weapons are made so that even young children can fire them," he said.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I didn't see a poll but you will have hunters etc. that don't own a gun for SD that will say it's poor judgement etc.the same people that think banning AR15's are ok because they have no use for them.As far as people being scared at the sight of a gun ,some people are scared of water,spiders,the boogey man,so what do we do make it illegal to have water out in the open cause people are scared of it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I didn't see a poll..................
    In the box under her picture. First subtitle is "RELATED STORIES ". Next subtitle is "READER FEEDBACK". That's where the poll is. If it just shows the bar graph, it means you, or someone from your computer, has already answered the poll question.
    READER FEEDBACK

Yes
    No
    READER FEEDBACK
    Yes

3059 (66.4%)
    No

1549 (33.6%)
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I heard her on a call in talk show and she did pretty well against two anits. She's level headed and knows her facts. She did nothing wrong and the sheriff and judge can keep their opinions to themselves.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Since open carry is legal there, she will win her case.

Anyone think that she'll settle out of court?

Usually, when the lawyers convene and the Police realize they were wrong, they'll offer a settlement and try to downplay the signifigance of it and try to keep the adverse publicity to a minimum.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    At any rate please don't devolve into shouting matches...
    There will be no "shouting" matches. That I guarantee...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good for her...someday some of those fearful may be glad that she was around and armed.

Well the poll was not open for voting...and no one has used this computer but me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well the poll was not open for voting...and no one has used this computer but me.
    I couldn't locate the voting spot at first either. I found it on page 2 of the 3-page article. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could try to clear all your cookies, temporary internet files, etc.

Right now it's about 3400 yes and 1700 no.

Yes 3752 (68.5%)
    No 1723 (31.5%)
    Total votes = 5475

But as she checked out, a young cashier asked whether she was a police officer.

"No, it's for self-defense," she said as she loaded her cart. "Do you know how many crimes have taken place in Wal-Mart parking lots?"
    Yes, I'd say she's well informed.

I hope she does not settle with them is non-disclosure os a part of the settlement. My hope is that shes making a stand for us all and not for the money.

Michael

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links