What my CCW instructor told us about OC

This is a discussion on What my CCW instructor told us about OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface first that I work for law enforcement in another jurisdiction than I live. I was treated very poorly by local LEO here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What my CCW instructor told us about OC

What my CCW instructor told us about OC

Let me preface first that I work for law enforcement in another jurisdiction than I live.

I was treated very poorly by local LEO here in my state of residence last year as after I informed my wife that I was intending to divorce her she repeatedly made false reports about me for any number or reasons. We live in a small town and from June to October I had about 40-50 squad cars at my house. I was pleasant with them, but they were annoyed at the required repeated response to the residence.

On one instance, I was set up by my ex and arrested. The judge required removal of all my guns into the Sheriffs safekeeping. I endured comments about my guns and what I owned as I stood by as my guns were removed from my safe and taken away.

I got them all back, undamaged and all is getting on okay now, but.....It is safe to say that I don't have a great love of the local LEO's here. I am sure the feeling is mutual.

I just did my CCW class here and I don't intend on OC. I don't want to give them a reason.

My CCW instructor said that OC is bad. He says that local large Big-Box stores in our county are not fond of OC on their property. The Big-Box stores pay alot of taxes and have alot of political clout. He recommends keeping guns hidden so that the right to concealed carry is not removed.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I understand your problem. I have mixed feelings about O C but I prefere to carry IWB. I simply don't want a BG to know that I'm armed.

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    My CCW instructor said that OC is bad. He says that local large Big-Box stores in our county are not fond of OC on their property. The Big-Box stores pay alot of taxes and have alot of political clout. He recommends keeping guns hidden so that the right to concealed carry is not removed.

Oh yeah, that's cool. Lets just spend the rest of our lives running scared from the "big box stores"!! GIMME A BREAK!!!

Big Box stores are fond of our money and the last thing they want is bad PR.
    Going after our guns would not be in their best interest. Instructors like all of us have opinions, I disagree with him.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    Let me preface first that I work for law enforcement in another jurisdiction than I live.

I was treated very poorly by local LEO here in my state of residence last year as after I informed my wife that I was intending to divorce her she repeatedly made false reports about me for any number or reasons. We live in a small town and from June to October I had about 40-50 squad cars at my house. I was pleasant with them, but they were annoyed at the required repeated response to the residence.

On one instance, I was set up by my ex and arrested. The judge required removal of all my guns into the Sheriffs safekeeping. I endured comments about my guns and what I owned as I stood by as my guns were removed from my safe and taken away.

I got them all back, undamaged and all is getting on okay now, but.....It is safe to say that I don't have a great love of the local LEO's here. I am sure the feeling is mutual.

I just did my CCW class here and I don't intend on OC. I don't want to give them a reason.

A little off the subject, but how about being pissed at your wife for making the false reports instead of the police who were required to act upon them?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve261 View Post
    A little off the subject, but how about being pissed at your wife for making the false reports instead of the police who were required to act upon them?
    Same thoughts here...
    40-50 calls? I would have other living arrangements after the second...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Um....

Isn't there some sort of comradarie among the LEO, even if you are in different jurisdictions?

I mean, we all know that USAF, USN, USMC, and USA all have "friendly" rivalry, even to go so far as some brawls in bars once in awhile - BUT, they all fight on the same side of the war, and each one has your back (I was USAF in the 80's, my father in law was USMC -he retired in 90's).

So, shouldn't have there been some sort of understanding on all the weapon's stuff - and + about 10 with retsup - dude, 40-50 calls? c'mon - i think I would have been gone before the first one, let alone stick around for two.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I understand some of the things that you went thru during your divorce. We were in a small town, my then wife was from that town, I was the out sider. Her family had friends in the right places. No matter what I did it was wrong.
    In TN we can OC, but I CC, simply because I don't want everyone to know. But at the same time it upsets me that (we) fell a need to CC to make everyone else happy, so as not to lose a right. Is this not the US? At some point we (U.S. citizens) are going to need to MAN UP! SPEAK UP! and just plain STAND UP for what WE believe.
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

CCRIDER +1! We need a few MEN with some BACKBONE.

Here in TX we are attempting to get OC legal - I plan on OCing AND CCing - why not? The BG's will know I'm armed, and if disarmed - I still ahve an arm left!

I won't get my hands tied behind my back. I believe in the 2A and all the rest of the rights of our constitution. It sort of galls me we have to petition the state to allow us to excercise our rights in the first place.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

The Big-Box stores pay alot of taxes and have alot of political clout.
    Big box stores do indeed pay a fair amount of taxes. Most, unfortunately, are still a drain on the local government's budget.

For an extremely sobering view on this, from police chiefs around the country see http://www.walmartcrimereport.com/report.pdf

Here's an example:

South Strabane, PA: Police Chief Don Zofchak met with Wal-Mart officials in 2004 trying to reduce their calls to the police. "Frankly, it was unbearable…. I've got 26 square miles and God knows how many other businesses to deal with. Their requests or demands for service, proportionally, were overwhelming." [Pittsburgh Post Gazette, March 27, 2005]

VIP Member
    Can't agree with your instructor, while the big box stores do have some clout, they don't elect your officials. I think more and more community are beginning to realize also the big box stores are not in their best interest. They tend to bring in some of the unsavory members of society to the neighborhoods they are located in, as well as depressing the wage market.
    As to your problems with the local police departments because of your ex. The problem isn't with the police departments, it is with your ex. If she in fact did file numerous false reports the DA needs to file charges against her. Filing a false report is a crime. At the same time, if there was a pattern of her filing false reports against you, then you need to take her to court and sue for harassment.

JMO, but I think there may be more to the story than what we are hearing.
    Last edited by archer51; December 20th, 2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added thought
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i think your problem has less to do with OC, and more to do with getting the hell out of Dodge, and move to the jurisdiction you work in. at least there, you'll have some friends on your side.

back on topic: who cares what the CCW instructor thinks? his job is to coach you on concealed carry; of course he's going to give OC a bad rep. if it's legal, it's legal. period.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    back on topic: who cares what the CCW instructor thinks? his job is to coach you on concealed carry; of course he's going to give OC a bad rep. if it's legal, it's legal. period.
    Why do you say, 'of course he's going to give OC a bad rap'? Of course?

If it's legal then people should be trained on its negative consequences and what to expect if they choose that mode of carry.

Yes, I too would have moved on. Anyway, I am a big opponent of OC, but try and respect the rights of others. I feel the less we flaunt in front of the "anti's", the less they have to gripe about. Just go about your business and they do not know any different. Sort of a , Dont' Show, Don't Tell policy!

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    She's probably "having a relationship" with that local leo - isn't "false report" a crime where you live? I'd hire a private investigator if I were you.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links