Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific - Page 2

Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific

This is a discussion on Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Natureboypkr It seems that you know how to deal with them from reading this post. Have you considered talking to any of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    It seems that you know how to deal with them from reading this post. Have you considered talking to any of them? I don't know but maybe that will work in your favor

I hope everything works out for you brother.
    Ya know, I'm the kind of guy who, normally, would walk right up and attempt to calmly discuss any problem, disagreement, conflict..etc. As I say, I work inside a state prison. I'm no stranger to boneheaded attitudes. But these kids scare even me to a degree.

I appreciate the responses. I doubt that OC would have much, if any impact on these hoodlums. I'd more than likely strain what little good rapor I have with my neighbors and possibly even "provoke" more attention by the deviant teens.

It has been an intresting thought process though.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by radtek1986 View Post
    Ya know, I'm the kind of guy who, normally, would walk right up and attempt to calmly discuss any problem, disagreement, conflict..etc. As I say, I work inside a state prison. I'm no stranger to boneheaded attitudes. But these kids scare even me to a degree.

I appreciate the responses. I doubt that OC would have much, if any impact on these hoodlums. I'd more than likely strain what little good rapor I have with my neighbors and possibly even "provoke" more attention by the deviant teens.

It has been an intresting thought process though.
    Hopefully your neighbors are willing to work together on this. Usually when a neighborhood comes together and make it obvious to those hoodlums that they are being watched, it usually makes them feel really uncomfortable.
    In my girlfriend's neighborhood, if you look suspicious or never been seen around there, people will come out on their front porches and watch you and make it their business to let you know they are there.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

The problem OCing with smart mouthed teenagers around is that as soon as they spot the gun they'll start in trying to provoke you. It'll run your blood pressure sky high and give them a new hobby. My options would be a higher fence, meaner dog(s), more lights, stronger locks ect. Make it MUCH more inconvenient for them to vandalise your place and they'll quickly find an easier target. You might even want to build a secure shed for that riding lawn mower and your tools. DON'T let'm think they've got your goat, that'll just encourage them.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Please forgive me if this is a silly question or this is the wrong section. I'm new and still trying to learn...

I live in a somewhat rual area of Central Florida.

My question is this....I know that it's legal to OC on your own private property..correct? I'm concidering OC when I'm outdoors, mowing, working, etc..vs my usual CC...only to make it completely obvious that I'm armed and willing to use it should they escalate their antics even further. These kids roam the neighborhood constantly, I have little doubt they'd eventually "notice".

What would you do? We've done everything else possible, lights, motion lights, fences, alarms..etc..by the way. A big dog is on the short list as well. I, like most people I'm sure, would rather PREVENT a scenario than have to participate in one.
    Walking around with your gun on will only WARN the SERIOUS
    Bad Guys to bring their own Weapon when they come visit.

I suggest the Neighborhood watch option , usually the local PD
    will support you with a temprary increase in their neighborhood
    presence.

Of course you should still be prepared for home invasion.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Rusty, that's what I'm afraid of. That's why I asked. Thanks. I've pretty much come to the same conclusion.

Like I say, the fence is up, (5ft is the code limit out here ..)

The Mrs. and I are likely going to start shopping the animal shelters this weekend. There are several within an hour of our house. And I've already got a king's ransom invested in lights, locks, chains, etc. *shame one has to live that way on their own property, huh?*

AKsrule, I wish! This is one of those, "I wanna be left alone" communities of 1 acre lots, mobile homes, fences, and dogs. Getting neighbors to even wave as you go by is almost impossible. Getting them to talk about any kind of watch gets you the "you've lost your mind" look.

The county rarely makes a visit through here unless they're chasing after someone who's disappeared into the neighborhood or they're responding to the regular domestic call. Otherwise, it's an hour minimum response time out here..

Our protection is strictly our own here!

Thanks again for all the great responses. You helped me answer a nagging question I've been knocking around for a few weeks. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I'd rather prevent a scenario than be involved in one. I had thought, perhaps it might be an option to kind of "advertise" the fact that I'm prepared to defend myself and mine if needed, upon further thought and discussion here, I think I'll just prepare and hope for the best.

I'm highly doubtfull it'll come to that anyway, as I've said, it's mostly kid prank stuff. But, I'll be prepared should they try to threaten our safety beyond pranks, that's for sure.
    Last edited by radtek1986; January 8th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    For the record, you may OC in Florida on your residence and in your place of business... the guy sitting next to me in my CC class was the owner of a used car lot that recently had a bad episode with a repossession...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Please forgive me if this is a silly question or this is the wrong section. I'm new and still trying to learn...

I live in a somewhat rual area of Central Florida.
    Geneva? Apopka?

Our problem is we have a good deal of bored teenagers who have nothing better to do with their nights and no parental supervison what so ever. It starts with beat up mailboxes, but, it occasionally moves to prowling properties at night. I've had vandilism, small theft, and even caught one hiding between the cars in the driveway one night. (one of those moments you don't forget. I wasn't CC, OC, or even close to any protection at the moment.. My fault completely..)

My question is this....I know that it's legal to OC on your own private property..correct? I'm concidering OC when I'm outdoors, mowing, working, etc..vs my usual CC...only to make it completely obvious that I'm armed and willing to use it should they escalate their antics even further. These kids roam the neighborhood constantly, I have little doubt they'd eventually "notice".

However, I'm also concerened with "provoking" as well. Also, would I just be asking for trouble..ie. neighbors, law enforcement...by doing so?

I know the stolen items, destroyed mailboxes, and attempts at hot wiring my riding mower cannot be solved by lethal force... It's the occasional attempt to the doors on the home itself that has me worried. I want to pass a message to them that I will not tolerate any threats to mine and/or my family's safety.

What would you do? We've done everything else possible, lights, motion lights, fences, alarms..etc..by the way. A big dog is on the short list as well. I, like most people I'm sure, would rather PREVENT a scenario than have to participate in one.
    I always OC on my property. Always! Im sure the neighbors have seen it and actually I dont think anyone cares. If Im outside I have the gun right there in open view. Ive had folks pull in the drive and get out and talk to me. No one has said anything. I think a few may have noticed but they didnt say anything.

Guns are a normal thing around here.

Check your local laws but if its legal to OC on your property then do it.

And yes, get a big dog or 3 (yes I have 3 big dogs). Maybe get one of them yapper dogs too (we just got a mini chihuahua). They will all let you know when someone is in the yard (the little dog first) and the big dogs will just scare anyone away (the Witnesses wont even come by my house any more)

So they have tried the doors while you were home? Bad luck got em then if they walk in.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    So they have tried the doors while you were home? Bad luck got em then if they walk in.
    Oh yea!! The little cowards tried once just as we were moving in. Our 2nd night. I wasn't home, my wife heard them, ran into the kitchen to grab her cellphone and I suppose they probably saw her and ran. (The door they tried has a window that didn't have a curtain on it yet, and a direct view of the kitchen) The wife now keeps her cellphone handy at all times when I'm not home and she's been receiving regular lessons with one of my 20 ga pump action scatters. (seems to be what she's most comfortable with.. But, scatter beats nothing, right?)

They've tried a couple other times, always on the same back door. (cowards!! Can't try something in broad daylight? In plain sight?!)

We keep our security system turned on at all times. So, they trigger the darn thing eventually and are gone in the handfull of seconds it takes me to get floodlights on and out the door. The fence is up now, and the gates stay closed and locked. Once we get the mutt or mutts, hopefully that'll keep em off the property all together. But, should they ever manage to make it into the home...it'll not be a prank anymore, that's for sure. And if they think trying when I'm away is smart, they'd better think again. The wife's gotten very used to hanging on to that scatter gun when I'm not around....

In fact, I look forward to coming home and seeing her with the thing....kinda sexy if I say so myself... Eventually, I want to get her into a mild .380 or something to carry around the house....*evil grin*

I'd imagine that if the kids are into break-ins, they would assume you have guns in the house and wait until you leave to check it out.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member
    Sending a message to the BGs that you will not be a victim is never a bad idea. The only catch is that you should always be ready to back up your message.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I would NOT tip them off and give them a reason to break in by showing them there are guns in the house.

The DOG is the only way to go! Put up signs, so if one of the kids gets torn to shreds by your dog, your liability won't be questioned.

so.... are you calling the local law enforcement each time you find that someone has been on your property ? If not, then you need to start doing it. Did you know in Florida that if your property is fenced trespassing is a misdomeanor ? If it's less than 5 acres and has a dwelling on it you don't have to have the posted signs. It's even a misdomeanor trespass if they simply damage the fence. The punks will notice that there seems to be a PO or Sherrif showing up every time they mess with your stuff.
    " with all this natural selection going on, why doesn't the human race get any smarter ? Is this it ? Why are there still so many stupid people ? Apparently, being a real dumb jackoff has some survival value. " George Carlin, R.I.P.
    SA XDm .40
    Sig P232 .380
    AR15 Project

Oh yea!! The little cowards tried once just as we were moving in. Our 2nd night. I wasn't home, my wife heard them, ran into the kitchen to grab her cellphone and I suppose they probably saw her and ran. (The door they tried has a window that didn't have a curtain on it yet, and a direct view of the kitchen) The wife now keeps her cellphone handy at all times when I'm not home and she's been receiving regular lessons with one of my 20 ga pump action scatters. (seems to be what she's most comfortable with.. But, scatter beats nothing, right?)

They've tried a couple other times, always on the same back door. (cowards!! Can't try something in broad daylight? In plain sight?!)

We keep our security system turned on at all times. So, they trigger the darn thing eventually and are gone in the handfull of seconds it takes me to get floodlights on and out the door. The fence is up now, and the gates stay closed and locked. Once we get the mutt or mutts, hopefully that'll keep em off the property all together. But, should they ever manage to make it into the home...it'll not be a prank anymore, that's for sure. And if they think trying when I'm away is smart, they'd better think again. The wife's gotten very used to hanging on to that scatter gun when I'm not around....

In fact, I look forward to coming home and seeing her with the thing....kinda sexy if I say so myself... Eventually, I want to get her into a mild .380 or something to carry around the house....*evil grin*
    I only asked about the town cause Im from Florida and lived in O Town for 10 years. Crazy that they are trying you in such an obvious way.

Nothing wrong with the wife toting a shottie round the house woot woot, yeah sexy is right LOL

Kudos to her for being into protecting herself

Good luck man. Dogs will help. Get the biggest ones you can stand. Oh and get ones that will actually hit the door or glass while barking.

Edit:
    But, scatter beats nothing, right?
    BTW scatter gun beats everything in home self defense IMO. Racking a shotgun is the universal sound for "get the f... off my property". It makes a big hole too.
    Last edited by AllAmerican; January 9th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Wow, you are really going through a lot. That is very agressive on the part of the BG. You can no longer call them kids. It is totally unacceptable. Get that dog, and I suggest getting LE involved now, retroactively. They are messing with your family's basic human right to feel safe. It is just a matter of time before they force you to put a bullet in one of them. Regardless if they deserve it, imagine how that will effect you or your wife.

Kids and new dogs, does not always work.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hood-kids.html

Just something to think about. The kids are back in school now, but the weekends are still the same.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links