Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific

This is a discussion on Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks Kids and new dogs, does not always work. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hood-kids.html Just something to think about. The kids are back in school now, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sending a message to the BGs. FL Specific

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Kids and new dogs, does not always work.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hood-kids.html

Just something to think about. The kids are back in school now, but the weekends are still the same.

I'm hoping that's not the case here. A little background info for ya..

Up until about 6 months or so ago, there WAS a dog present. There was this sort of "neighborhood" or "community" dog that hung out around mine and the surrounding 4 or 5 homes. I never did determine exact ownership of this mutt. However, it was apparent that everyone bordering my property was involved in taking care of him..feeding, etc.

The bonus of this dog was that during the day, he'd leave anyone alone unless they actually came into one of our properties. Never violent, just agressive barking...you know...one of those "makes you think he's about to rip you to shreds" barks! Alerting anyone home to take a peek. To my knowlage, he never bit anyone other than the occasional squirrel, racoon, oppossum, wild hog, he cornered. On those occasions, the wildlife typically lost.

At night was a different story..gates got locked, and he'd patroll the street. (he'd managed to dig under most fences in one spot so, property lines were within his jurisdiciton.) NO ONE messed with our homes when he was around!! Every so often he'd disappear for a night or two. I'm assuming somone would take him in every now and then.

Those are the nights the kids would strike... and since he's been gone, it's gotten worse. (We had some flooding due to a tropical storm and our ditches filled up...gator got him...he's fine, but, a neighbor took him in permenantly as his injuries require no more runnign wild...)

So, that's why I'm getting a dog or two...hopefully, these kids seem to be afraid of the "alerting" a good mutt accomplishes.

2. Remove Ads

OH, AllAmerican, Geneva's getting close.. , a little more south and east and a lot less "upscale"

That's about as specific as I like to get online. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by radtek1986 View Post

However, someone carrying OC conveys a very stricking image of one that's proficient, ready, and possibly even highly trained to act in SD. Correct or not.

That's why I was asking. Not trying to heat up a debate..like I say, just wanted you all's take on it.

OC on your own property to "advertise" your ability to act in SD? Yes, no, bad idea..etc.?
    The message your sending might not get the response you want from the BG's or your neighbors. What if it tells them, maybe we need to bring our own weapons when we go back to that house.
    As for looking proficient because you are carrying, I don't agree. I've seen plenty of people carrying things they don't know how to use. Heck my wife has a pile of cookbooks but she ..., well I won't go that route. Buy a noisy dog and take real good care of it. Good Luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by radtek1986 View Post
    OH, AllAmerican, Geneva's getting close.. , a little more south and east and a lot less "upscale"

That's about as specific as I like to get online. Sorry.
    HAHA I know right where you are. I actually lived in Geneva for 8 of the 10 years I was in O town.

Had 5 acres there and then realized I was living in a neighborhood that was worse than my apartment complex on Wymore Rd.

LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by wedged View Post
    so.... are you calling the local law enforcement each time you find that someone has been on your property ? If not, then you need to start doing it. Did you know in Florida that if your property is fenced trespassing is a misdomeanor ? If it's less than 5 acres and has a dwelling on it you don't have to have the posted signs. It's even a misdomeanor trespass if they simply damage the fence. The punks will notice that there seems to be a PO or Sherrif showing up every time they mess with your stuff.
    Best post yet.

Based on what the OP has been saying (especially the intimidating by not getting out of the roadway, and being belligerent) this is a gradual escalation. Nip this in the bud. You should have gotten the authorities involved the first time something happened, and then every time thereafter. This is not just "kids being kids".

I'd recommend calling the cops until they got tired of hearing the complaints and did something. I find good neighborhoods don't get patrolled because the cops are sent to the high crime areas. The squeaky wheel............

Oh, we call em every time. I've even filed a few complaints regarding the "stand in the road" tactic.

Like I say though, it's an average of an hour long response. So, our protection is up to us out here.

And it's not just targeting me either. It seems to be a random neighborhood wide thing.

Good grief there AllAmerican. Talk about a small world, we moved out here from a condo I had for many years at Lk Destiny and Wymore...

Hey Radtek, your situation sounds almost identical to a movie my wife and I watched this weekend. If you have not seen "Gran Torino", it's a must see. Vintage Clint Eastwood. You'll be amazed at the similarity to what you are experiencing.

Ha ha, yea, the Mrs. and I went to a movie last weekend, saw the preview for it and said almost the same thing to ourselves.

I actually just spent a couple hours in the driveway this morining talking to two of my neighbors. While an official neighborhood watch is not likely in the immediate future, they're just as fed up as I, and we've agreed to keep eyes peeled on eachother for the moment. Between the 3 of us, someone's home all hours of the day. I spend a lot of time in my driveway working on whatever project the Mrs. tosses me and with the nights cool and nice, I'm on my porch till the wee hours relaxing.

We're not gonna let these punks win OUR part of the street!!

One of the neighbors just got a dog himself and the two of us convinced the 3rd to go that route. Between the mutts, the fences, the lights, and us keeping watch, I think we've got our bases covered against these chuckleheads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links