Why is OC/CC so emotional?

This is a discussion on Why is OC/CC so emotional? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not care how you carry, as long as you're an armed law abiding citizen, with no history of violent, unprovoked tendencies, and are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is OC/CC so emotional?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I do not care how you carry, as long as you're an armed law abiding citizen, with no history of violent, unprovoked tendencies, and are able to legally purchase firearms.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Many years ago I OC'd because it was the only way permitted in New Mexico at the time. Now I prefer CC and it's just a preference. Many become emotional over what they believe and angry at anyone who disagrees with them. This is why religion and politics don't make good conversational subjects. It is also why there is so much discussion on the subject of how to carry a firearm. Personally I don't care how you carry as long as you act with professionalism and don't do things to deliberately draw attention to yourself.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    People who OC are braver than I am.

It's all the same to me, though; carrying a gun is carrying a gun. I don't really understand the emotionality of the subject either.

Whichever choice someone makes, I will respect it. I respect the resolve of people who OC, and I understand the reasoning of people who CC (as I have similar reasoning).

Isn't life too short to waste arguing semantics?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Everyone on this site is passionate about 2nd Amendment rights and gun rights and will use that passion to fight for them because they believe they are right. Unfortunately they have the same passion about their preferred method of carry and will fight just as passionately about it. Sadly most just don't see it as two sides of the same coin. They will try to put down your views on OC simply because it is different from theirs. It's part of human nature, most of the time everyone on this site gets along quite well because we all share the same views and passions. When something such as the OC/CC debate comes up human nature rear its ugly head and the fighting begins.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I don't think that there is any argument that guns elicit fear in a fair percentage of people. It depends upon where and what states, of course. This is especially true in light of the school, mall, and church shootings.

Maybe it is similar to going into a crowded mall with a large pit bull.

Since the sight of handguns especially does elicit fear some of us believe that if you live in a place where the sight of guns is not a normal thing it is counter productive to our cause to OC.

If one can CC he has a gun in case he needs it without upsetting people. I see no good reason to upset people when not necessary. It will also save one time and irritation when confronted by security guards or police. On the other hand if it is legal, and you are willing to put up with the confrontations then fine.

The only time I OC is when returning from the firing range, and sometimes we stop at a truck stop and get a sandwich. Here in NM is such places no one seems to notice including LEOs who are often there at that time.

To each his own.
    Regards,
    Jerry
    Last edited by pgrass101; January 8th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Edited by pgrass101

I think the biggest reason that there is so much emotion is that we don't like being told (whether real or imagined) that our method of carry is "wrong".

We are all strong willed people, as evidenced by our willingness to take responsibility for our own safety, and strong willed people don't like being told they are "wrong".

Each side "knows" with out any doubt that their tactical advantage is the absolute best (surprise or deterrence) when there is no evidence either way.

For the record, I OC exclusively, and it is the best method of carry for ME. Your way is the best for YOU. And as long as it is legal, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I do not care how you carry, as long as you're an armed law abiding citizen, with no history of violent, unprovoked tendencies, and are able to legally purchase firearms.
    what he said
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    I think the biggest reason that there is so much emotion is that we don't like being told (whether real or imagined) that our method of carry is "wrong".

We are all strong willed people, as evidenced by our willingness to take responsibility for our own safety, and strong willed people don't like being told they are "wrong".....
    I tend to agree. I think the OC/CC issue can be threatening and we may not realize that it is or how it is exactly, but we sense at an emotional level to some degree, hence an emotional response.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I personnaly do both when conditions in NC prevent me from CC, I will often go to the OC.

Either way I will have a weapon on me, unless I'm on post then I'll have it locked in my vehicle safe(I hate this).
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Opinions, opinions do abound on religion, politics, CC vs OC,..
    Glock vs all others

Why is OC/CC so emotional?
    I have also always wondered about this. I open carry the majority of the time in the spring/summer/fall months here in Southwest Tennessee. Once it gets cold, I wear a coat so it just becomes ccw unless I take my coat off while in a store or something.

But, I have no interest in making people believe the way I do. If you want to CCW and not OC at all, that's fine with me. Why should I care. But it has been my experience that people who CCW only will many times berate me (on the internet and a couple of times in person at TFA meetings) for OC. Why is that? Why do they have a problem with me carrying the way I want to carry when I have no problem with them carrying the way they want to carry?

What I have come to believe is this: People who are so very set on CCW only tend to be very self conscious about the fact that they carry a gun and in fact, many times feel guilty for it to some extent. They think that society will look down on them for carrying a gun to protect them and they are embarrassed.

Well, I am not embarrassed at all by the fact that I carry. I don't care one bit what society thinks of me carrying openly or concealed to protect myself and my family and I will not apologize for it, ever.

I hear the "surprise is your greatest weapon" argument all the time and I think it is bull. 99% of people in the world can be right next to me and not notice that I have a Glock 23 on my right hip out in the open. Criminals can spot someone CCWing from a mile away most times. If they are engaged in committing a crime, often they get tunnel vision and focus only on their target. Me CCWing or OCing isn't going to make a difference but, me OCing does in fact get the few sheeple who do happen to notice my gun more used to the fact that it is legal and perfectly OK for us to be armed.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links