Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s - Page 2

Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s

This is a discussion on Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my responses are entirely dependent on the comments/criticisms i receive. like most people who OC will tell you, the public mostly doesn't notice. when they ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s

my responses are entirely dependent on the comments/criticisms i receive. like most people who OC will tell you, the public mostly doesn't notice. when they do, they usually say nothing. most LEOs will say nothing either, if they know and understand the law.

of the few comments i've received, most have been polite, and curious. i had one LEO stop me, because he was concerned i might be given a hard time, not because he was concerned i was doing something wrong. most people are just curious about it, the legalities of it, etc.

i've only really ever had maybe 4 bad encounters, one with LEO. one was some jackass in a parking lot, who began swearing at me in front of my kids; another was an older gentleman, who began to throw a fit when he saw me in the park, with my kids; and another was a bank manager, who began to cause a scene, while i my wife was making a legal withdrawal. i ended up withdrawing all of my money, closing my accounts, and filing a complaint with the bank president. the LEO encounter was during dinner with friends. google "Dickson City Old Country Buffet" and read about it.

Sponsor
    I've had snow birds down from the mid western states here for the winter "notice" the open carried g17 or sig 220 when stopping for breakfast before heading into the gun shop for the day.

A few times I've worn my double rig with two g17's and I've been asked by a couple of the snowbirds why I'm carrying two guns-- the reply is " I have two hands". They don't see open carry where they live, some are visibly upset at the sight of open carry here in Az, and one man was told if he didn't like seeing people openly carrying firearms he should stay up north and not come to a free state for the winter.

No big deal, if the police ever get called, they'll find I carry a sheriff's ID for search and rescue as well. I've had many officers see me carrying in the waffle house or my favorite dinner spot [ no alcohol served ]. They ignore the open carried gun/s and I've never had one say anything about it in three years out here.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I'm curious as to how they (the OC individuals) responded when the police showed up?

VIP Member
    Simple enough to handle when LEO arrive. "Yes officer, how may I help you?" I've broken no law so there is no problem for the LEO or for me.

No response to looks. Minimal response to questions. Be friendly and non confrontational.

Wave and smile frantically?

Or if its a female, use a very lame pick up line?

For example:
    "Excuse me, are you from Tennessee?"

"No. Why?"

"Cause you're the only ten I see!"

She'll be gone in an instant.

i think i'm gonna start using, "tengo pistola, pero no hablo ingles."

I live in Virginia Beach and sadly, there are not too many people that open carry here for some reason. I would like to start, but I dont want to draw attention to myself beacuse I do not feel it would be welcomed. I guess that shouldnt bother me really, but I want to be prepared.

as far as responding to LEOs if they arrive, my experiences have ranged from harrassment to surreal and funny. i was pulled out of a restaurant with some friends and given a hard time by ploice, and they're paying for it now. in another incident, i had two sheriff's deputies insist that open carry was illegal. i simply responded that it wasn't, and we all walked away without anyone getting cuffed or sued ------> "Open Carry is Illegal!" says Lackawanna deputies - Pennsylvania - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Padawan View Post
    No response to looks. Minimal response to questions. Be friendly and non confrontational.

This.

I rarely respond to anyone who notices other than just smile and a nod of the head.

If I'm somewhere for a length of time with someone who takes an interest such as at the park the other day then I don't mind answering questions, as long as they are friendly questions.

We went to the park one evening earlier in the week after homework was completed to enjoy the nice weather we were having. I OC only a small fraction of the time, usually around the small town where I live. I was carrying owb with a tucked in tshirt and an untucked, unbuttoned long sleeve.

My wife decided she was cold so I gave her my ls shirt so she would have another layer and so I was left OCing. There were several other families/groups there and as I went to lay our frisbee on a table a gentleman inquired as to my reason for carrying a firearm.

The kids were playing so I pulled up a seat, introduced myself and simply told him that it was for personal protection. He had recently moved to our area with his family for another state and had a handful of very genuine questions about carrying in Georgia that I answered to the best of my knowledge.

I did invite him to go shooting with me one day to which he really didn't seem interested, but I still don't believe that he is necessarily against carry. He was however, courteous and friendly with his questioning so I didn't mind a bit. A friendly new neighbor is something that is getting to be scarce in the last few years.

Normally, though....

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiWolf View Post
    I live in Virginia Beach and sadly, there are not too many people that open carry here for some reason. I would like to start, but I dont want to draw attention to myself beacuse I do not feel it would be welcomed. I guess that shouldnt bother me really, but I want to be prepared.
    In KY open cary is legal. However what you say is the same here. I know of very few that OC. In a town of 10,000 people everyone knows everyone. Someone who has lived here all their life who suddenly shows up at food service establishment for example carring a pistol, stands out like a sore thumb. Which prompts people to start asking questions. (typically among them selves.)

As you say, I would really rather not draw attention to myself.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I open carry in restaurants in Virginia. In about 3 years of doing so, I've been asked two or three times if I'm in law enforcement (that's always the way they ask about the gun without asking about the gun). I say "No I'm not. Why do you ask, the gun?" They say yes and I explain that I carry for personal protection and hope that I'll never need it. That's either the end of the conversation or the start of some guntalk (what model is it? what caliber? yada yada yada).

When I am asked if I am LE, I always smile and open my eyes wide and say' " NO! Why?!? What have you done?!?"

This usually breaks the ice and we both laugh. Then I explain to them about personal protection. Every now and then you will find some crab who is in a bad mood or just doesn't find it funny. YMMV

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madpegtod View Post
    When I am asked if I am LE, I always smile and open my eyes wide and say' " NO! Why?!? What have you done?!?"
    Good one!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Too many people ignore... "the Elephant in the Room"... something most on the post try to ignore...the fact...OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IS NOT THE GENERAL PUBLIC...IT IS LEO'S!!... (CERTAIN LEO'S...NOT ALL ) ...CERTAIN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WHO HAVE THEIR PANTIES IN A TWIST, AND THEY ALWAYS WILL, CUS THEY ALWAYS DREAMED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE THE ONLY ONES WHO HAD GUNS!?!?
    The Elephant is in the room, and he is on the street messing with a lot of us... and many people on this website pretend that this does not exist...??? Many of us get jerked around (or worse) when LEO's find us carrying guns. That's a fact.
    If this was a "Constitutional" web site, they would allow us to vent, to talk about... our experiences and concerns about LEO's who jack us over, when they find us legally carrying.

I get so reamed, when I hear from those who claim...that they carry OPENLY all the time, and NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FROM THE LOCAL LEO'S...?? With all due respect, I say...#$%$#$%. I carry CONCEALED, where I live, and still have been jacked over!?

Truth is... I have been jacked over by local LEO's, have tried to post it...and have been attacked over and over by fellow-members, by website administrators... I have even been "permanently banned" from another website...because I dared to say something negative about LEO's..??
    Viet Nam...I was drafted. During my misspent youth, I carried a badge for law enforcement. I know what I am talking about when I say... not all LEO's are Saints!!
    Not all of them pay any attention to what is LEGAL!?
    Until we allow...until we demand...this website to allow us to speak openly, about the Elephant in the Room...we are not going to talk about the biggest obsticle to... our lawfully carrying of weapons.
    Last edited by JD; February 6th, 2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Removed bold font.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links