Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s

This is a discussion on Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is not ignored Ironclad. I have only been open carrying for a little over a year. So far, I have had no incidents. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s

It is not ignored Ironclad. I have only been open carrying for a little over a year. So far, I have had no incidents. I may have one this afternoon. Who knows? Do you have a local grassroots 2A organization that you can join? With the invention of the internet (thanks Al Gore ) people are starting to band together. Here in Georgia we have GeorgiaCarry.Org.

There are many options. First, I would recommend carrying a digital voice recorder. There are many out there to choose from that are relatively inexpensive. I always have one when I am carrying for when (not IF) I have a confrontation.

If you think you are being harassed over your civil rights then I suggest finding an attorney who specializes in 1983 lawsuits. You can get copies of any reports, 911 calls etc through FOIA requests. You can even request a meeting with the Police Chief or Sheriff to discuss it. Sometimes that is all it takes.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't open carry, although it's legal in Michigan. I just prefer to keep certain things to myself.
    I did see a guy open carrying in the local produce market a month or so ago, walked by smiled and nodded. A few minutes later an elderly lady spotted the guy open carrying. Sure enough she panics and starts screaming, He's got a GUN. She's nearly hysterical so I start observing a little closer. The OC guy calmly tells her "I'm authorized by the State to carry a weapon, and I do so for my protection, and yours if someone were to attack you".
    I thought it was a good response and it seemed to calm the lady after her initial panic. She mumbled "oh' but seemed to stay fairly close to him as she finished her shopping. Maybe she felt comforted by his comment, but it's not something you see real often in my area.
    LE was never called and he handled himself well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sponsor
    ironclad,

I get so reamed, when I hear from those who claim...that they carry OPENLY all the time, and NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FROM THE LOCAL LEO'S...?? With all due respect, I say...#$%$#$%. I carry CONCEALED, where I live, and still have been jacked over!?

If this was a "Constitutional" web site, they would allow us to vent, to talk about... our experiences and concerns about LEO's who jack us over, when they find us legally carrying.

Use of key words like "jack us over", "get so reamed", and "vent" in your post seems to suggest a heightened state of agitation which subsequently would normally lead others to believe a propensity for subjective thought instead of objective discussion.

The Elephant is in the room, and he is on the street messing with a lot of us..

Your use of the term "elephant" is interesting. There are a lot of LE, and former LE on this sight who would naturally take offense to such comments. You seem to be painting most LE with a wide brush instead of objectively discussing the topic at hand, take this statement below for example-----------

OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IS NOT THE GENERAL PUBLIC...IT IS LEO'S!! and this one on----------

During my misspent youth, I carried a badge for law enforcement. ------- interesting that you feel carrying a badge for LE was misspent. I'm getting the impression that you had some sort of issues while working in that profession that couldn't be resolved and it's becoming obvious that you may not be capable of objective discussion where LEO's are concerned.

Care to enlighten us as to why you feel your time in LE was misspent and why you are no longer in that profession?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

In rural Missouri, I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk - and a Winchester 30-30 - for years. I never heard a negative comment, but since I had the cowboy hat and boots, it was kind of neat that so many kids would ask me if I was a "real cowboy." Of course, then I'd have to tell them that if falling off horses a lot makes one a cowboy, I'm it.
    A local sheriff did ask me once why I was carrying my rifle into a gas station. I just told him I didn't want it sitting in the truck (nobody locked trucks back then). He then had questions about the 44 mag and that was about it.
    Basically as others have said, nice and friendly works for me. That and I think it's very important that you seem comfortable with whatever gun you're carrying. Some people seem to draw attention to themselves, maybe they haven't packed one around long enough. The big Ruger at the end of the day was just a very heavy hunk of steel, never gave it another thought and I guess other people didn't notice it either.

to all...thanks for your responses. I appologize for my original post...I should get a ticket for "typing while angry". I just can't help it, still angry about recently being held at gunpoint and searched by leo's when a neighbor of mine called 911...she is a crazy old wank neighbor.
    ps...to all confused, thinking...this can't be true? not in Texas. Texas is supposed to be so gun-friendly? Well, it is...except Houston and the Dallas metroplex...these are just big cities now...run by dirty politicians. Im doing my best to move.
    ps..ps...(response to above question from AzQkr)...I didn't say that! Wearing a badge is never a misspent experience. It is amongst other things, one of the most enlightening and educating experiences possible. What I said was..."my misspent youth!" I think most people feel like their youth was misspent...thats the nature of being young...that's all I meant.

VIP Member
    I just can't help it, still angry about recently being held at gunpoint and searched by leo's when a neighbor of mine called 911...
    Shed some light on this, what was her 911 call about?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
    If this was a "Constitutional" web site, they would allow us to vent, to talk about... our experiences and concerns about LEO's who jack us over, when they find us legally carrying.
    I don't know what you mean by a "Constitutional web site" but I guess I would have to say that if this forum does not meet your expectations you may want to consider a different forum.

Truth is... I have been jacked over by local LEO's, have tried to post it...and have been attacked over and over by fellow-members, by website administrators... I have even been "permanently banned" from another website...because I dared to say something negative about LEO's..??
    After reviewing your past posts I have seen no instances of your being "attacked" by our members, much less staff or an administrator, in any way. If you have been banned from another website I would highly recommend that you review your demeanor and past posts for why that might be. In the 20 posts you have made here, almost half of the posts you have made have been to demean LEOs in some way. Possibly your background or past contacts with them has given them reason to treat you the way they do, or possibly just a perception on your part?
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
    Too many people ignore... "the Elephant in the Room"... something most on the post try to ignore...the fact...OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IS NOT THE GENERAL PUBLIC...IT IS LEO'S!!... (CERTAIN LEO'S...NOT ALL ) ...CERTAIN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WHO HAVE THEIR PANTIES IN A TWIST, AND THEY ALWAYS WILL, CUS THEY ALWAYS DREAMED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE THE ONLY ONES WHO HAD GUNS!?!?
    The Elephant is in the room, and he is on the street messing with a lot of us... and many people on this website pretend that this does not exist...??? Many of us get jerked around (or worse) when LEO's find us carrying guns. That's a fact.

I get so reamed, when I hear from those who claim...that they carry OPENLY all the time, and NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FROM THE LOCAL LEO'S...?? With all due respect, I say...#$%$#$%. I carry CONCEALED, where I live, and still have been jacked over!?

Truth is... I have been jacked over by local LEO's, have tried to post it...and have been attacked over and over by fellow-members, by website administrators... I have even been "permanently banned" from another website...because I dared to say something negative about LEO's..??
    Viet Nam...I was drafted. During my misspent youth, I carried a badge for law enforcement. I know what I am talking about when I say... not all LEO's are Saints!!
    Not all of them pay any attention to what is LEGAL!?
    Until we allow...until we demand...this website to allow us to speak openly, about the Elephant in the Room...we are not going to talk about the biggest obsticle to... our lawfully carrying of weapons.
    sounds like you need to move, holmes.

aside from the Old Country Buffet thing, and getting into a silly argument with two sheriff's deputies, i've had next to no problems with LEOs. why? because our police know the law. more importantly, they want to avoid lawsuits.

if you've been jacked over (and i believe the phrase is "jacked up", by the way) by LEO unlawfully, you need to get a lawyer, ease up on the incoherent raging on the interwebz. guess what? the 1A doesn't apply here, or any other forum. if the administrator doesn't like a topic, it doesn't get showtime. i'd just try and avoid caffeine for awhile.

to be honest, i'm surprised more of these open carry threads don't get shut down as soon as they start. despite all the warnings of "no OC vs. CC debates", someone always has to chime in with: "...well, even though it's legal in my town, i still wouldn't OC, blah blah blah," or some other inane comment. maybe it's intentional?

Ironclad,

I've been open carrying, exclusively, since I got my Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit. Here in Tennessee, we must show our permit to LE upon request. I've only had 2 occasions that I've been requested to show it.

The first time, I was a witness to a severe accident and had stopped to offer assistance before LE or paramedics arrived. The officer who responded asked to see my permit. After seeing my permit, they asked what I saw.

The second time, I was in a car accident myself. Paramedis responded first and they took my handgun and secured it as I was being prepped to be removed from my car (I suffered minor neck and shoulder injuries). When police arrived and saw the (now unloaded) firearm, they asked to see my permit. Once they saw it, they asked me questions about the accident.

I've never had a bad experience with my local police. Does that mean I never will? Indeed not.

Are there bad police officer in the Metro Nashville PD? I'd think there probably are, there are just too many officers in the department that statistics would almost guarentee it. Are there good officers that make a bad decision? Almost guarenteed, as well.

Just because you have been screwed over, doesn't mean all police are bad. The police officers you dealt with may have been bad, or they may have made very bad choiced. Since we don't know the details, we can't judge. Try not to let your experiences prejudice you against ALL police officers.

I'm not saying not to be wary or to relinquish your rights. Just don't think or believe that all police officers are bad without giving them a chance.
    Last edited by Glock30Owner; February 7th, 2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    Ironclad,

I've been open carrying, exclusively, since I got my Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit. Here in Tennessee, we must show our permit to LE upon request. I've only had 2 occasions that I've been requested to show it.

The first time, I was a witness to a severe accident and had stopped to offer assistance before LE or paramedics arrived. The officer who responded asked to see my permit. After seeing my permit, they asked what I saw.

The second time, I was in a car accident myself. Paramedis responded first and they took my handgun and secured it as I was being prepped to be removed from my car (I suffered minor neck and shoulder injuries). When police arrived and saw the (now unloaded) firearm, they asked to see my permit. Once they saw it, they asked me questions about the accident.

I've never had a bad experience with my local police. Does that mean I never will? Indeed not.

Are there bad police officer in the Metro Nashville PD? I'd think there probably are, there are just too many officers in the department that statistics would almost guarentee it. Are there good officers that make a bad decision? Almost guarenteed, as well.

Just because you have been screwed over, doesn't mean all police are bad. The police officers you dealt with may have been bad, or they may have made very bad choiced. Since we don't know the details, we can't judge. Try not to let your experiences prejudice you against ALL police officers.

I'm not saying not to be wary or to relinquish your rights. Just don't think or believe that all police officers are bad without giving them a chance.
    ^^
    what he said, too.

I haven't had to say much in the past.

Most of the time when people ask about my gun it's a pretty short conversation. I stopped carrying openly after I got checked by an LEO who was very polite but said this; "You'll probably be checked everywhere you go because you look like you're 16 years old".

While I hope I still maintain my youthfull good looks later in life, for now, that is a valid problem. I'm 24, an OIF veteran, but I agree that I don't fit the stereotypical vision of someone who would "normally" be carrying. So I don't OC anymore. It hasn't been an issue since then.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

i look fairly young wiggy and have my checks, which i promptly file a complaint about my seizure. im no longer seized in town :)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I received my PA LTCF last may or june? I OC'ed all year as long as the weather permitted, I don't go out of my way during these cold months to show my from under my jacket..

Anyways, I've gotten a few looks from people.
    I was once asked, "hey man are you a bounty hunter or something?"
    I just replied no sir I am not. He smiled and walked off.

I've OC'ing in multiple walmarts and I dont think anyone has ever noticed, nobody has said anything to me either.

Then at the voting polls I OC'ed to my location and nobody said a peep. The lady running the place is my neighbor and she is pro-gun so she just saw it and smiled at me. The local constable gave me a smile and told me to have a nice day.

About an hour later I walked my girlfriend into her voting location and was questioned by some people handing out information at the door if it is legal to carry a gun into a polling station. I replied "yes it is legal for citizens to be armed at the polls". About 5 minutes later a state trooper showed up and walked over and started talking to the people at the door. I'm sure one of them called in an MWAG. I just waited in the car listening to the radio as I was doing to begin with until my girlfriend came out and we went home.

About a month ago I was wearing a t-shirt tucked in with a long sleeve button up untucked and unbottoned. I was walking out of a gas station and the wind blew back my long sleeve shirt revealing my firearm, a state trooper at the gas pump saw it and looked at me. He didn't say anything. I got in my vehicle and left.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I was approached in my local Wal-Mart not even a week ago by another customer and his girlfriend, who both appeared to be in their early 20's. He inquired as to whether I was Law Enforcement and I told him no. He started to ask about the legality of Open-Carrying a firearm and I told him of the fact that there are no laws in the state of Montana here that prevent or prohibit concealed or open carry as I was doing. I also referred him to some sites such as this and a few others where he might be able to find answers to any questions he might have. He and his girlfriend both were quite pleasant when asking about it and when we were talking. Hopefully if he registers on here or any other site such as this he'll find it as pleasant and helpful as I tried to be to him.
    In answer to the general question, if I'm approached by anyone and asked why I carry openly, I tell them I do it to not only promote the concealed/open carry of firearms by others but also to give people the opportunity to ask questions. I love being able to explain the legality and hopefully the acceptability of it and tell them they are perfectly within their right to do so as well! They appreciate the polite conversation (even if they disagree) and go about their day!
    Last edited by ecorrigan; February 10th, 2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Redundancy in my post.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

This is why I love living in this state, although I do have to live in this crappy town of GF (wind sucks!).
    With my dad being a highway patrolman, I get the opportunity to question him about OC and CC whenever a question arises. And since he doesn't want me to get in any legal troubles, he'll look through the laws and double check before he lets me know the answer. What I've found is that MT is very generous compared to other states as far as carrying goes. As soon as I pick up an XD 9mm it will never leave my side except for work (I work on millitary bases 90% of the time).

And here is the best place to refer people to who question any legal matters (in MT at least) Table of Contents, MCA

Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    I was approached in my local Wal-Mart not even a week ago by another customer and his girlfriend, who both appeared to be in their early 20's. He inquired as to whether I was Law Enforcement and I told him no. He started to ask about the legality of Open-Carrying a firearm and I told him of the fact that there are no laws in the state of Montana here that prevent or prohibit concealed or open carry as I was doing. I also referred him to some sites such as this and a few others where he might be able to find answers to any questions he might have. He and his girlfriend both were quite pleasant when asking about it and when we were talking. Hopefully if he registers on here or any other site such as this he'll find it as pleasant and helpful as I tried to be to him.
    In answer to the general question, if I'm approached by anyone and asked why I carry openly, I tell them I do it to not only promote the concealed/open carry of firearms by others but also to give people the opportunity to ask questions. I love being able to explain the legality and hopefully the acceptability of it and tell them they are perfectly within their right to do so as well! They appreciate the polite conversation (even if they disagree) and go about their day!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links