Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s

This is a discussion on Open Carry Comebacks to Odd Looks & ?s within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure that this topic 'might' have been addressed somewhere here on the Forum, but I was curious as to how an OC person ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I am sure that this topic 'might' have been addressed somewhere here on the Forum, but I was curious as to how an OC person might respond to the comments and criticisms from the public when they (the public) see a person OC.

There was an incident in Manassas, VA (2007) where a former Marine noted 6+ individuals (all OC) that were in a pizza joint eating dinner. The Marine got anxious and called LE because he didn't like what he saw. The Marine called and noted his concerns to the dispatcher and numerous LEOs responded (not to be outgunned by the 6+ OCs inside). The OCs were asked to leave and were treated as a$$clowns per recorded documentation.

Anyway, I was wondering how, 'you', the forum, might diffuse situtations or what one might say (a comeback) to the 'Joe Public' when OC is a concern for those who don't know about it. The Northern Virginia area has many that feel they are entitled to vocalize their opinions. I would like to hear about some comments that I can come back with if I decide to OC as I frequent businesses for dinner that serve alcohol, etc.

Thanks
    Xlaxx

I think I'd just say "I'm legal."
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The OCers in Manassas had no opportunity to defuse the situation because the offended person made a MWAG call rather than challenge them directly. The responding police officers were obviously in no mood to be receptive to logical arguments.

In a situation where someone questioned me directly, I would simply say "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

If I wanted to comment on a rude challenge, I would say something like "You are exercising your right of free speech guaranteed by the 1st amendment, I am exercising my right to bear arms guaranteed by the 2nd amendment". (I know the 1st is incorporated and the 2nd not yet, so there are places where there actually is no right to bear arms, but I wouldn't carry openly in such places.)
    Last edited by Anubis; January 20th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

VIP Member
    I've OC'd here in VA for over 10 years when required by law to do so. I have never had anyone say anything to me about it. If someone did the most I would say is I am legally carrying IAW state law and leave it at that. It's not an argument you are going to win, and your not going to change their opinion.

I like what someone on OpenCarry.org said about this question: "I'm authorized by the federal and state government to carry openly".

JD
    Administrator
    Keep it on topic please.

Also, please be reminded of the following:
    Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

I would think it would be the same as someone who is CLL and some Joe Citizen happens to notice.

A statement like "I'm a good guy", dont' worry about it", has worked for me before.

While there are situations where I think open carry is perfectly “ok”, I am not in favor of open carry in all situations.

I think the VCDL still has that story on their website. It was at Tommy's restaurant in Manassas, VA.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Thanks for the replies thus far. I did note the establishment in Manassas, VA and stand corrected on some of the facts there.

This is strictly for comments to Open Carry Only.

Just curious as to the responses that people have given to OCs and how they in turn, responded to them. According to VCDL, doesn't seem to happen that often,... but I am sure it is talked about in 'small' circles in how to respond to it.

Thank you.

Xlaxx

jfl
    I OC when I have to; never noticed any looks or questions ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    "IM Legal" in virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I OC when I have to; never noticed any looks or questions ...
    jfl,

Are you talking about OC in FL?

If so, when and where?
    I wasn't aware of that option in FL unless on one's own property and the totally vague "to or from camping or hunting."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

It depends on how much time I have on my hands. If I'm on a schedule, I'll just smile politely, say "I'm legal", and continue on my business. If I have nothing to do for a while (which is usual when I'm out during the day), I'll take the time to explain the law to someone who says something to me and isn't a rabid raving anti (I've not run into those other than on the many gun forums).

Sorry, I can't help you. I have been open carrying for over 3 years now since moving to the Great State of Tennessee and I have not had one single odd comment. No one has said anything negative about my open carry. In fact, I have received many positive comments, from both civilians and LEO's.

Open carry is not uncommon here in West Tennessee but there are still way more people who choose to carry concealed than openly. Still, the public here seems to be completely at ease with open carry and no one freaks out at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Rarely does anyone ever say anything one way or the other. On occasion I get a positive comment of some sort mostly what kind of gun is that do I like it etc. Very rarely does anyone question it if I have the time I explain it is legal give them a printout of the WA state OC pamphlet. A very few hostile folks I just walk away. Only one really bad LEO experience and that was a uninformed LEO saw the gun in the car
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links