Open carry at the Va State Capital building

This is a discussion on Open carry at the Va State Capital building within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attended the VCDL Lobby day on Monday at the Va State Capital. For me,it started as CC, because it was cold, and my jacket ...

Thread: Open carry at the Va State Capital building

Open carry at the Va State Capital building

I attended the VCDL Lobby day on Monday at the Va State Capital. For me,it started as CC, because it was cold, and my jacket pretty well covered the S&W 457 I was carrying. They had an express entry set up for us to enter. Either OC or CC was allowed, but you had to have a CC permit no matter which way you chose to carry. It felt strange as I walked in, presented my permit, and allowed the security officer to wand me, why? Anyway the wand went "BEEP" and the officer said "Thank You sir" and motioned me inside. Once inside, I removed my jacket and open carried while in the building, visiting several state representatives with my team leader. Back outside, on with the jacket again(still cold) for a big rally, 400 to 600 people, all carrying, at the bell tower. There was an "anti" demonstration going on at the same time. Huge turnout for them. Both of them had signs with pictures of JFK, Martin Luther King and RFK, saying "Guns Didn't Save These people". All of us had blaze orange stickers saying "Guns Save Lives" At lunch we went to a downtown restaurant where the jackets came off again and open carried. Open carry wasn't required,(no alcohol in that restaurant) but the whole day was about lobbying for pro gun issues, so everyone wanted to be visible. All in all it was a good day.

2. Remove Ads

Keep up the good work. I am glad that there was that large of a turn out for us. How many would you showed up for the "anti" side?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSls1 View Post
    Keep up the good work. I am glad that there was that large of a turn out for us. How many would you showed up for the "anti" side?
    As I said, "both", meaning I saw only two people with the anti signs. If there were others, they were well hidden. There are photos from the lobby day and the rallies posted on open carry dot org(including the two "antis") The pictures are posted in the Va section of OCDO.
    Last edited by celticredneck; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

I would love it if they would get something like that going on here in NC! I would support it.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I was there, too. Was a great turn out and a really fun day. it's too bad that the Gun Show "Loophole" bill made it out of subcommittee the following week...

but keep writing your legislators and tell them how to vote correctly!

Boy, I will tell you guys, I am in Southwest Tennessee and I doubt I am the only one who is envious of VCDL here. That is one fantastic organization you all have there. Be proud of it and keep on supporting it!

I wish we could get something of similar strength here in Tennessee!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    ...the whole day was about lobbying for pro gun issues, so everyone wanted to be visible. All in all it was a good day.
    What issues were you lobbying for? Anything specific coming up for votes?

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Huge turnout for them. Both of them had signs with pictures of JFK, Martin Luther King and RFK, saying "Guns Didn't Save These people". All of us had blaze orange stickers saying "Guns Save Lives" At lunch we went to a downtown restaurant where the jackets came off again and open carried.
    I would have had signs that had bunch of random people that said

But guns saved these people.... with a pic of the ppl lol

This legislation session, VCDL is working to:
    1) Repeal the restaurant ban, which says that it is illegal to carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol by the single drink, for on-premises consumption, forcing us to leave the gun in the car or open carry. We got it done last year but the Governor vetoed it. He was given such a hard time about it in town hall meetings that I hope he signs it this year.
    2) Defeat the "end the gunshow loophole" legislation.
    3) Clarify that online gun safety training classes (without a range session) qualify for acquiring a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    This legislation session, VCDL is working to:
    1) Repeal the restaurant ban, which says that it is illegal to carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol by the single drink, for on-premises consumption, forcing us to leave the gun in the car or open carry. We got it done last year but the Governor vetoed it. He was given such a hard time about it in town hall meetings that I hope he signs it this year.
    2) Defeat the "end the gunshow loophole" legislation.
    3) Clarify that online gun safety training classes (without a range session) qualify for acquiring a CCW.
    So-Called loophole DEFEATED

Like post #9 said-they have the gov on the run this year. Two gun proposals and he is painted into a corner.

Contact VCDL and get on their email list-very interesting. Wish MI had a group like that.

I have sent several e-mails to the gov. Gotta love VCDl !!!
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Links