Question for those who live in OC States

This is a discussion on Question for those who live in OC States within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in an "open carry" state (CO), but for whatever reason I very seldom exercise that right. I've just never felt comfortable in walking ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those who live in OC States

Question for those who live in OC States

I live in an "open carry" state (CO), but for whatever reason I very seldom exercise that right. I've just never felt comfortable in walking into a Mall or Walmart type store with my Glock strapped on my belt, open for everyone to see. (I do have a ccw permit and conceal carry almost 100% of the time.)

Other gunnies in this state must feel the same way because I rarely ever see anyone "open carry".... I probably haven't seen anyone open carry for a couple of years.

So for those of you who can open carry....... do you? Do you see lots of people in your states open carry?........ Thanks..

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

Here in Oregon, inside the larger towns a small percentage of folks carry, and a very small percentage of those folks openly carry. At least in town, it's not generally accepted, and even those with CHL can be hassled despite it being perfectly legal. Every once in a while in town, I'll see a person OC. Outside the cities, it can be very different. I often see folks carrying, in the more rural areas of Oregon, occasionally carrying a rifle as well. It's far more accepted, away from the major cities.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    OC is legal in VA, however the only time I've seen anyone OC is at the gun shows.
    The only time I OC is when I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol. CC is lot allowed in those establishments, but OC is legal.

If I'm out in the bonnies say in a national forest or some such place I will OC some....... and I often have a long gun in the truck, but as I said I just don't feel comfortable OC ing in a crowded area..

Maybe Colorado folks just don't do it that much. I used to visit in-laws in PA, which is an open carry state..... Over the years I never once saw anyone open carry.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm from WA. Before I got my CC permit, I did open carry everywhere. I was pretty comfortable with it, and nobody ever noticed it. When I'm driving, I OC (hard enough to draw in a vehicle, no need to complicate it with concealing garments). The rest of the time I CC now. I'd rather keep the element of surprise and not be a potential target. I'm not worried or scared or uncomfortable OCing, I just prefer concealed.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    OC is legal in VA, however the only time I've seen anyone OC is at the gun shows.
    The only time I OC is when I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol. CC is lot allowed in those establishments, but OC is legal.
    Archer, I presume you meant to say "CC is NOT allowed"....... and if that is the case it seems like a strange law..... but then I don't go to VA much anymore... Why do you suppose VA would allow OC but not CC in a place that serves booze? Thanks...

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm from WA. Before I got my CC permit, I did open carry everywhere. I was pretty comfortable with it, and nobody ever noticed it. When I'm driving, I OC (hard enough to draw in a vehicle, no need to complicate it with concealing garments). The rest of the time I CC now. I'd rather keep the element of surprise and not be a potential target. I'm not worried or scared or uncomfortable OCing, I just prefer concealed.
    I agree about OC while driving...... BTW, good luck over there in Iraq... Come home safe.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Thanks! Oh, I OC 24/7 in Iraq
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Archer, I presume you meant to say "CC is NOT allowed"....... and if that is the case it seems like a strange law..... but then I don't go to VA much anymore... Why do you suppose VA would allow OC but not CC in a place that serves booze? Thanks...
    Sorry, your correct, it is not allowed, my proof reader let me down! LOL

There are actually few places you cannot carry in VA. OC was legal here long before CC passed, nothing in the law prior to CC prohibited in places where alcohol is served. I don't know if it was something that was missed when the law was changed, or if they thought that by prohibiting CC that OC would be prohibited also. Although the Restaurant Association fights every year to keep CC from being legal, I am not aware of them trying to get OC prohibited. I agree, it is a stupid law, and we managed to get it repealed last year, the governor vetoed it. The bill was reintroduced again this year, but we still have the same governor so it will probably be vetoed again.

Living in AZ, Open Carry is allowed. I personally do not see that much of it. I do not open carry because I do not want the attention and would like to meld into the crowd if the situation of SD is needed.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Thanks! Oh, I OC 24/7 in Iraq
    Yes, I can appreciate that.... Uncle Sam gave me permission to OC 24/7 in the 'Nam jungles many years ago...... and hi-cap magazines were not a problem..........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Living in AZ, Open Carry is allowed. I personally do not see that much of it. I do not open carry because I do not want the attention and would like to meld into the crowd if the situation of SD is needed.
    I live in New Mexico, but also do not see much of it. I personally do not OC unless on the way to or from the range. I see no advantage, but do see disadvantages as has been posted by members here with disturbing some folks.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry, your correct, it is not allowed, my proof reader let me down! LOL

There are actually few places you cannot carry in VA. OC was legal here long before CC passed, nothing in the law prior to CC prohibited in places where alcohol is served. I don't know if it was something that was missed when the law was changed, or if they thought that by prohibiting CC that OC would be prohibited also. Although the Restaurant Association fights every year to keep CC from being legal, I am not aware of them trying to get OC prohibited. I agree, it is a stupid law, and we managed to get it repealed last year, the governor vetoed it. The bill was reintroduced again this year, but we still have the same governor so it will probably be vetoed again.
    Well that governor needs to go..............

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I live in New Mexico, but also do not see much of it. I personally do not OC unless on the way to or from the range. I see no advantage, but do see disadvantages as has been posted by members here with disturbing some folks.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry, before you guys got shall issue ccw (and honored Colorado permits) I used to OC in NM when traveling the northeast corner of the state from Raton to Clayton going from CO to TX.........

Now I can CC in your state. I visit there frequently and have never seen anyone OC..........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

OC is legal in Colorado but I seldom see anyone doing it. I personally do not OC. There is the tactical reason not to and always the possibility of frightening the sheep, thus contributing to situations that might feed a public clamor to take away our guns.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links