OC for Coloradoans?

OC for Coloradoans?

This is a discussion on OC for Coloradoans? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if you can see in the attached photo but the 5th bullet point down on the left says it's unlawful to possess or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Question OC for Coloradoans?

Not sure if you can see in the attached photo but the 5th bullet point down on the left says it's unlawful to possess or discarge a weapon in Natural Areas. This picture was taken at Coyote Ridge south of Ft. Collins. Now if you grab their printed flyer, it goes into more detail and says that it's unlawful if you do not possess a city or state issued permit.

But I thought that OC was legal in public areas of CO except for the court case that Denver won allowing them to restrict OC in their parks? Anyone have more knowledge about this? Is Ft. Collins posting their own restriction and likely waiting to fight it in court if needed? I usually open carry when I'm out riding horse in the National Forests and Lory State Park.
    Attached Images
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

DCT
    I would assume this overrides OC/CCW. :-( Is it really a Ft. Collins thing or just in the park system in Ft. Collins? Also, from what I was told in my CCW class, OC in the City and County of Denver is far more than parks alone ... We were told no OC anywhere in the City & County of Denver. Please correct me, if my information is inaccurate.

FYI, the thumbnail picture expands nicely and is easy to read.

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    I would assume this overrides OC/CCW. :-( Is it really a Ft. Collins thing or just in the park system in Ft. Collins?
    It would not be able to override CCW because of state preemtion law and they were nice enough to acknowledge "without a state issued permit". You can't see that part on the sign, it's in a fold out brochure found at the park.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see another member on the forum that's so close! I'm in Fort Collins.

Very simple OC in Denver city and county...NO

OP topic, not sure. Some open space areas/parks/forrests have odd little rules open to interpretation.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Check with Dudley @ RMGO - Home

It's Fort Collins Municipal Code. Colorado Code Publishing Company - Fort Collins Municipal Code and Charter - Chapter 23: Public Property

Whether it would hold up to challenge or not, I do not know. They also seem to restrict gatherings, kite flying, and moving sticks.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Whether it would hold up to challenge or not, I do not know. They also seem to restrict gatherings, kite flying, and moving sticks.
    You saw that too? I couldn't help but shake my head in wonderment. Where do you suppose that originated from?

Thanks for sharing the link, I'll check it out. I might have to stir some people up on this one.

Who is John Galt?

Another one of by favorites :
    (b)(6) Kick, hit or throw a flying disc, ball or boomerang in, onto or over a natural area

This means that some soccer mom was inconvenienced by someone playing frisbee.

Anyway, I'm going to have to re read the state law on OC.

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Probably because it is close to the People's Republic of Bolder. *LOL* I believe the CO. law prevents municipalities from creating their own little gun laws like that. I CC and would not let that sigh stop me from carrying. I would bet up there that if you open carried and some liberal who read that sign saw your gun, they would call the police. Then it's up in the air after that.

Now come on guys look around you in the Fort Colins, Loveland area, haven't you noticed your outnumbered by tree huggers and granolas that hate everything you stand for or believe in. So don't move any sticks in a natural area OK.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Probably because it is close to the People's Republic of Bolder. *LOL* I believe the CO. law prevents municipalities from creating their own little gun laws like that. I CC and would not let that sigh stop me from carrying. I would bet up there that if you open carried and some liberal who read that sign saw your gun, they would call the police. Then it's up in the air after that.
    I was at another natural area last year near there called Bobcat Ridge or something like that. I strapped on my big Dan Wesson .357 with gun belt and headed for the trail. We saw the sign and I turned around and put it back in the truck. I don't let the the sign stop me from CC (regardless of the exception they have in the fine print of the phamplet that says, "state issued permit") but when I'm out on the trail riding my horse I like to OC.

Last year, the fiance and I were at Lory State Park riding. We came across two other women who were riding and I saw that one of them was OC a decent size revolver on her belt. After we passed I asked the fiance if she noticed it. I wasn't surprised when she said, "no, really?"

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Now come on guys look around you in the Fort Colins, Loveland area, haven't you noticed your outnumbered by tree huggers and granolas that hate everything you stand for or believe in. So don't move any sticks in a natural area OK.
    I'm a pretty tolerant guy when it comes to tree huggers and granolas. In general, they mean well, even if their founding philosophies are often based in dogma instead of science. The same is true of folks on the other end of the spectrum.

But when I read that Municipal code last night and came across the bit about "no flying kites" I was reminded of the Taliban and their ban on kites. I specifically remembered (and had to look up) this quote:

"Of all the horrid, imposing regulations issued by the Taliban, few seem as plainly mean-spirited as prohibiting flying kites. American reaction takes it as clear evidence that the Taliban were far from "scholars" and instead were crazed."

So there you go. Fort Collins legislators are the Horrid, imposing Colorado Taliban -- plainly mean-spirited, far from "scholars" and crazed.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

You said you looked up the quote but you didn't provide the source?

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    You said you looked up the quote but you didn't provide the source?
    It didn't come from the media... just a business consultant who wrote an article for her website in 2001. For whatever reason, that quote stuck in my mind. In the article she thought they should sentence all former members of the taliban to three days of kite flying. Not even a particularly good article, imho.

Taliban Re-Education 101: Let's Go Fly A Kite

If you just want a source for the Taliban banning kite flying, check out wikipedia. Their ministry of "virtue and vice" or whatever banned it in 1996 as being "un-islamic".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links