OC in a VA interstate rest stop

This is a discussion on OC in a VA interstate rest stop within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A previous thread got me thinking: I will soon have my NC CHP. I drive through Virginia (reciprocal state) frequently, often late at night. Given ...

Thread: OC in a VA interstate rest stop

OC in a VA interstate rest stop

A previous thread got me thinking: I will soon have my NC CHP. I drive through Virginia (reciprocal state) frequently, often late at night. Given the fact OC can avoid situations before they get hairy, can I (should I) exercise my OC rights and just walk into the state-operated restroom with my P226 OWB on the hip in plain sight? I know I can cc there, but that's one place my Spidey sense is most often tingling.

I know, I should look it up, but I am interested in feedback/experiences from the pros.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I don't know about the "can I" part. But the "should I" part gets into a deeper discussion on the pros/cons of both methods. While OC might act as a deturent in many cases, many will also agree that it makes you the first target of a serious criminal.

Imagine, you walk into the rest stop and a criminal has someone at gun point. He sees the gun on your hip, what are the chances he's going to shoot you first and ask questions later? If you are concealed and walk into the same situation, maybe there's a chance you are told to get down on the ground.

This can go on forever, I'll get my popcorn ready.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Great feedback TWS - I hadn't considered that. That's why I enjoy reading feedback here. It sounds like CC is the way to go. I guess you guys all use the stalls as well. I hate being in the state outhouse, face to the wall and pants unzipped when I hear the door open behind me - late at night.

Sure, it's usually a long-haul trucker, but I have seen some really creepy people hanging around these places.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Great feedback TWS - I hadn't considered that. That's why I enjoy reading feedback here. It sounds like CC is the way to go. I guess you guys all use the stalls as well. I hate being in the state outhouse, face to the wall and pants unzipped when I hear the door open behind me - late at night.

Sure, it's usually a long-haul trucker, but I have seen some really creepy people hanging around these places.
    I agree there. I think if I were a criminal, victims would be the most vulnerable while at the urinal with their stuff in their hands. Walk up, stick something in their back resembling a gun or a knife, and lift the wallet from the back pocket. I always have my eyes on who's coming in the door and in shadier areas, use the stall.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Yep!

Virginia is an Open Carry State. There are no restrictions on State owned buildings, except K-12, Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions, Courthouses, Detention facilities, General Assembly Building & property (open or concealed carry OK for CHP holders only) See: http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

I'll leave the OC vs. CC POV to rage w/o my input.

But I'll take some of that popcorn.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 25th, 2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added restrictions
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I agree there. I think if I were a criminal, victims would be the most vulnerable while at the urinal with their stuff in their hands. Walk up, stick something in their back resembling a gun or a knife, and lift the wallet from the back pocket. I always have my eyes on who's coming in the door and in shadier areas, use the stall.
    I agree. I travel a lot and try to always use the stalls.

MadMac, sometime in late spring, Virginia is closing most the rest stops because they are trying to save money. Now, you have another problem.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Darn,

Well, not only will it be open carry, but I'll also be ******* on the bushes more often than the New York TImes.

While I think there are times, and places open carry has its advantages, I do not feel a trip to the “boys room” is one of them.

Pass the popcorn…

The reciprocal agreement between NC and VA applies only to concealed carry. You may open carry in VA without a permit from any state. That includes state owned rest areas.

Please don't debate open vs concealed. This is an open carry forum, so OC is OK by definition.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I cannot see that it would be reasonably possible to keep one or more people from getting close enough to disarm you. You cannot tell others there to stay 7 yards distance, and you cannot draw your gun to keep them away if they have not acted in a threatening way toward you. They have an equal right to be there. That is a major reason I would not OC at a rest stop. It is arguable whether or not OC would be a deterrent or and attraction to BGs.

This is where pocket carry with you keeping hands in pocket seems the best route. Rest stops are unsafe places when only one or two people are present. I always wait until my wife is out so I can be as close as possible. At times I have seen men around the entrance/exit to the men's restroom, and there is nothing you can do to avoid passing relatively close to them if you are going to visit the restroom, and you cannot tell them to go away.

I much prefer truck stops if there are any on the route that are close enouugh that I can use them, but on some highways there aren't many. In my travels I have noticed that in some states they have security there.

Regards,
    Jerry

On such dark time trips, if I only need to wiz I pick a dark exit, cross over to the onramp and pull off to the side and stand in front of an open, passenger side door.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    While OC might act as a deturent in many cases, many will also agree that it makes you the first target of a serious criminal.
    Have any links to news stories of this happening to any non-LEO/non-security citizens?

To the OP, if you wish to OC, do so, if you don't, that is fine too. Whatever you do, don't allow urban myths to influence your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    Have any links to news stories of this happening to any non-LEO/non-security citizens?
    I'm not going there. That's the popcorn reference and this thread will go on forever. Or, what is more likely, the thread will get closed before it makes it one more page long.

People can do their own research and make their own decision.

Who is John Galt?

I get emails from VCDL=Virginia Citizens Defense league. They kinda push OC and all gun right for that matter.

They will soon have the gov over the barrel--really good this time.

Links