Open carry in Missouri

This is a discussion on Open carry in Missouri within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have CCW. I'm a SIG and Walther user in St. Louis Missouri. Sig P250, Walther PPS, P22 and Springfield Arms XD Sub Compact ...

Thread: Open carry in Missouri

VIP Member

Open carry in Missouri

Hello,

I have CCW.

I'm a SIG and Walther user in St. Louis Missouri. Sig P250, Walther PPS, P22 and Springfield Arms XD Sub Compact with Crimson Grips (its a brick).

Missouri law states that anyone with more than ten acres of land is allowed to shoot open carry.

Does anyone know a farmer or an owner with enough land near St. Louis where one can Plink a few cans?

I don't want to drive more than 20-30 miles.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

fwm
    I am, not sure how applicable that law is. My brother lives in a pocket of county land on three acres surrounded on 4 sides by city. He shoots all the time on his three acres. His neighbors used to call the police on him, but the finally quit doing that when the police where invited to join him on his 'range' for some target practice. When they realized he was offering free ammunition for them too shoot they usually did.

(That 60 caliber cannon he has makes a 'big boom')

SIGP250,

Glad to meet a fellow St. Louis resident. I live in South city and I have shot for years.

---------------------------

Pay Options:

Not too much plinking at these (except Arnold R&PC). Paper targets, trap and skeet ranges, shotgun patterning.

Jay Henges Dept of Conservation Range: 20-25 minutes from downtown.
    Jay Henges Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center

August Busch Dept of Conservation Range: 40-45 minutes from downtown.
    August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center

Bullseye Indoor Range: Downtown
    Bull's Eye, L.L.C.

Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club - members only, but a great club!
    Arnold Rifle & Pistol Club

Top Gun Indoor Range: 25 minutes South on 55.
    Top Gun Indoor Range....Imperial, MO

Free Options:

Only limited by your imagination (and funds).

Missouri Public Land:
    Where can I hunt?

There is also Mark Twain National Forest public land near Potosi and Ft. Leonard Wood. Just go to the areas in the state marked National Forest. Look for places people have pulled off, make sure it's not posted and have a ball. Just try to be a mile or so from anything, look for hunter's camp spots and shoot into a hill. Just try not to do it during turkey and deer season so as to not disturb their hunting. Also - leave it like you found it; Don't leave a bunch of trash or an open fire - you know.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

Top Gun has a nice facility. The people there are top notch and well worth the couple of $ you'll spend for range time. There are quite a few regulars and you may find some that have open land to plink on. Bulls Eye is closer to you, but not near the service. Just my .02, Good Luck.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fargus081 View Post
    SIGP250,

Free Options:

Only limited by your imagination (and funds).

Missouri Public Land:
    Where can I hunt?

There is also Mark Twain National Forest public land near Potosi and Ft. Leonard Wood. Just go to the areas in the state marked National Forest. Look for places people have pulled off, make sure it's not posted and have a ball. Just try to be a mile or so from anything, look for hunter's camp spots and shoot into a hill. Just try not to do it during turkey and deer season so as to not disturb their hunting. Also - leave it like you found it; Don't leave a bunch of trash or an open fire - you know.
    This option most likely you can get away with but its not actually legal either. If you read the law on Missouri conservation lands you will most likely read that you can not target shoot on public land. It must be in an area that is assigned for that purpose. But that being said chance are no one is going to say anything. It goes on all the time but that does not make it legal! I lived in South St. Louis all my life accept for the last year. Now I live between St. James and Rolla. I'm now surrounded by Missouri Conservation Land and I see very little target shoot going on in the woods but I also know it does go on. I think your best option would be Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club on the outer road along Highway 55 between Barnhart and Pevely. You have to be a NRA member, dues are not bad, and you have to devote 10 hours of work time a year.

MJK
    Head across the river to Belleville Shooting Range. Steve King (the owner) is top notch! He sponsors fight night every Tuesday, which gives us an opportunity to shoot IDPA-type stages for fun and practice. Plus, if you purchase a handgun through BSR (must have it delivered to MO FFL - he has an arrangement with several places on this side of the river so it won't cost you anything more) you'll get a one year range membership for free.

Other pay ranges such as Top Gun and Bullseye are also great options. Otherwise do the outdoor ranges at Busch and Forest 44 just off Antire road.

Links