A little OC story from the other day.

This is a discussion on A little OC story from the other day. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally CC but I am not all that strict about it since NH is an open carry state, my pants kept sagging down below ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little OC story from the other day.

A little OC story from the other day.

I normally CC but I am not all that strict about it since NH is an open carry state, my pants kept sagging down below my gun (smartcarry). Anyways I walked into 7-11 to grab a soda and as I was waiting in line to pay, I overheard these 2 teenage kids talking to each other about my gun. They were saying ''Oh if he gets caught hes in so much trouble, I thought that looked like a gun''. I didnt say anything of course because it was not really any of my business to jump into their conversation.

After carrying for a while now I realize that most people still associate guns with bad guys and punks, and assume they are illegal in every way. I mean im not the most well dressed person, I wear baggy clothes and whatever I am comfortable in... so I guess it just has to do with stereotyping.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Open carry generally speaking is not a common sight at all. I heard a few stories about so called "free staters" in New Hampshire being stopped by police for open carrying. You do run the risk of being stopped by police when you decide to OC in city limits or people making comments about carrying guns. I've only had two negative experiences while open carrying, one at a local car repair shop and the other one was with the manager of a Wal Mart's sporting goods manager.

Anyway I'm glad nothing more came of your experience than over hearing two individuals thinking you'll get into trouble for open carrying.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    After carrying for a while now I realize that most people still associate guns with bad guys and punks, and assume they are illegal in every way. I mean im not the most well dressed person, I wear baggy clothes and whatever I am comfortable in... so I guess it just has to do with stereotyping. End Quote

In many places where OC is not common many wonder why a person has a gun. It does get their attention.

As for stereotyping that is a fact of life. I suspect each of us does it, at least I know I do. One's dress and appearance make impressions that impact my opinion of him, including to what degree I want to associate with him.

I have a metal security door at the front, and can open the door without concern that someone can force his way into my house. Those outside cannot see inside. If I answered the door and saw a person in a suit and his gun was partially exposed I would assume he was an officer. If he was wearing baggy clothes such as the young punks wear and unkempt I would assume he was not someone I wanted to talk to.

If you had been dressed in slacks with a tie you might have been labeled as FBI or a detective. Evidently, by your description, you appeared more like a bad guy.

Don't draw the conclusion that I wear suits or such all the time, or only associate with those who do. But I don't have friends who look as if they just came out from under the overpass. That is not meant for you. Just making a point.

Stereotyping is a fact that we might as well get used to.

Regards,
    Jerry

yeah i can understand that definately. the thing is that im still pretty young, im 23 so i dress my age basically. the only reason i carry is because i dont think the government does a good job making sure the wrong people dont get guns illegally haha. its just funny when people make those kinds of assumptions i guess

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    yeah i can understand that definately. the thing is that im still pretty young, im 23 so i dress my age basically. the only reason i carry is because i dont think the government does a good job making sure the wrong people dont get guns illegally haha. its just funny when people make those kinds of assumptions i guess
    I think all of us here agree that the government does not do a good job preventing the wrong hands from getting guns. However, they don't mind taking our rights to make up for their inadequacy.
    I truly believe that at this time thre is no way to keep guns out of the wrong hands, and we must be prepared to defend ourselves.

I carry for the same reason as I don't know when or where I might meet up with one of those thugs who had a record, stole the gun, and did not obey signs or the law.
    Isn't it strange thinking to believe that the crooks and murderers will obey the law, and honor the signs?

Your generation will have to fight at least as hard as mine, and probably harder, to retain the legal right to own and carry guns if we look at who is in power now.
    Hang in there, and have a good day.

Regards,
    Jerry

I live in an OC state but I never OC, and I cannot recall anyone. I have discussed this with many people who live here and they all generally say the same thing. The reason they do not OC is because it calls too much attention to yourself and that some people just do not understand and would make them feel uncomfortable. No one has mentioned stereotypes or anything like that.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I dress average, and just got my CHL in January, which is when I stared carrying. I live in an OC state and only OC'ed twice, and neither time do I think anyone noticed, and if they did, never made an issue. I never seen anyone OC'ing, but think I will continue doing so.

As for the stereotyping, I know I do it all the time. If I were to see a thugish person with a weapon, i would be more on edge than someone who was well dressed.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Ditto on the above. I, too live in an OC state going on 4 years now and have never seen a single (non LEO) person OC with the exception of a local gun shop. Personally, I don't want to draw any attention to myself anyway so I CC. The way I figure it, if there's ever a potential situation with a BG, he'll (yes, I'm sexist) first eliminate his greatest threat and that will be anyone with a visible weapon. Of course, one could argue that the presence of an OC will cause the BG to look elsewhere. I'll take the element of surprise as an advantage.

My $.02

One more comment on attire. I'm not really concerned with what the OC is wearing, but how s/he's carrying themselve. I see a lot on people dressed like they "just came out from under the overpass", but I'm not bothered by that. What concerns me is how they are acting and what they are doing.
    The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.
    Issue Date: Dec. 15, 1791
    Expiration Date: NEVER

I too live in an open carry state. The difference here, unless our governor signs the recently passed restaurant carry bill,(he says he will veto it) open carry is the only way I can legally carry in a restaurant which serves alcohol. I agree with Gardien's sig line. "You truly can't fix stupid". However you can vote it out at the next election.

yeah i just open carried last night in olive garden with no problems. I've never had a incident while OC, but you def get looks...

While legal, it's rare, at least where I'm at in VA. I'm not even in a major metropolitan area of VA and I've never seen anyone OC anywhere except at a range or by a LEO.

On all these threads, both here and other forums, I keep seeing people say that no one noticed their gun when OCing. I guarantee you that if they looked in your direction they noticed your gun. The vast majority of people in this country are too scared to say anything and try to avoid any reactions that would make you pull out your "fotay" and cap em.

Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    On all these threads, both here and other forums, I keep seeing people say that no one noticed their gun when OCing. I guarantee you that if they looked in your direction they noticed your gun. The vast majority of people in this country are too scared to say anything and try to avoid any reactions that would make you pull out your "fotay" and cap em.
    Sweeet! Either way it's a good deal.

I've had 4 dates with 4 different women and they all thought it was very cool that I open carried. One remarked that she would rather be with a man who carried a gun on his belt for protection rather than a condom in his wallet.

I have only OC'd a handful of times, when I was hunting and dressed in camo, and nobody that I could see flinched. I generally CC for the simple reason that I really don't want the BGs to single me out in a SHTF event and, if I need for somebody to see my weapon, all I have to do is slide my shirt back and the handle is clearly visible. I have nothing at all against OC and fully support every law-abiding adult's right to do so; I just don't see the reason to draw attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    On all these threads, both here and other forums, I keep seeing people say that no one noticed their gun when OCing. I guarantee you that if they looked in your direction they noticed your gun. ....
    I will disagree and relate a short story.

I live in a suburb of the largest city in MN and the county maintains and operates the only firearms training facility in the county about 1/2 mile from my home. The county and all the city police agencies use this facility. The LEO staff wear "soft" uniforms that are navy blue utility pants (think 5.11 brand) and navy blue sweat shirts or polo shirts with a 1/2 size badge embroidered on them. I was entering the local grocery store with my CC Permit and concealed weapon ( MN is open or concealed carry with a permit, I prefer to conceal and carry) and the officer was openly carrying his duty weapon. I was interested to see the reactions of the other shoppers as it was the middle of the afternoon. I hung back about 10-15 feet from the officer as he made his way through the produce section, meat department, and the diary section. I was watching the eyes and faces of the other shoppers as they came across the officer doing his shopping. Of the 20 or so shoppers I watched, 97% did not even see the officers duty weapon. One older retired gentleman and his wife did notice and gave me a quizzical look as I was still a few paces behind the officer. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled and continued to gather my groceries as the officer went the other direction. Of course, the retired guy never saw my concealed weapon.

Most people are in their own little worlds and never take notice of what might be even the most obvious threats to their safety and security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links