Defensive Carry banner

Unchambered in Utah open carry

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I was surprised to see a video on another site saying that if you open carry in Utah, there can't be one in the chamber. Surely this does not apply to conceal carry. If it does'nt apply, whats the difference in how you carry rather there's one in the chamber or not? Can you open carry with revolver? It's always ready to go. Are there any other states that has this law?

#2 ·
That's nuts. More control in the name of "safety."

Every gun has ONE safety. If it fails, no amount of mechanical doohickies can make up for it:

#11 ·
i don't know how many times i've pointed to my head when people ask me where the safety is on my xd or p345, and in the case of my p345 why i don't use it. The way i look at it its double action first pull why do i need the safety if i can carry a revolver that has the same pull and no safety. just don't be stupid and put your finger in the guard until its time to make it go boom.

florida doesn't have OC. honestly i don't see myself OC even if it was legal. Someone somewhere thought that the no chamber thingw as a good law for utah so it went into effect...doesn't mean its a good one or makes sense

#3 ·
The law states that you cannot carry a loaded weapon in public.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor

However permit owners are exempt
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1)(a), (1)(b), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued

#4 ·
That law does not apply to CFP holders, if you don't have a CFP you can carry a firearm openly if it takes two (I think, to late to look it up) actions to discharge said firearm. So a pistol is to be carried with an empty chamber, a revo you could only carry 5 rnds in a six shooter (with the first pull of the trigger falling on an empty chamber). I'll look it up tomorrow. If you have a permit... Lock and load.

#6 ·
Actually without a CFP in Utah, a 6 shot wheelgun can only have 4 rounds in it. The law says no bullet in line or in next chamber. An automatic can be fully loaded minus the chamber. With a CFP, anything goes.

I think the law was INTENDED to help prevent NDs......who knows.

#7 ·
Open carry in Utah without a concealed permit is permitted as long as the firearm is unloaded, completely visible and must be atleast 2 actions away from firing. To clarify a bit more, unloaded in Utah means (for a semi-auto) no round in the chamber, (for revolver) no round in firing position or next position over.

If you have a CCW, you may carry open with a fully loaded firearm.

#8 ·
So what's the use? Do they have chamber check patrols?

#9 ·
Open carry in Utah, at least the more populated areas, is very rare, in fact I have only seen 1 person OCing in the 20 years I can remember. I've heard that LEOs will stop you and check you if you are seen or reported for OCing. But from what I've heard, they are pretty cool about it for the most part if you're doing it legally.

#12 ·
Hey guys, sorry if I am digging up a semi-old thread. This is my first post here, but I am no noob when it comes to Utah firearm laws.

Here is how unlicensed open carry works in Utah.

The "2 action rule" is just that, two mechanical actions to fire. HOWEVER, the law also states that there must not be a round in the firing position.

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.

(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.

(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.

(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.
First example is a semi auto pistol, lets say a 1911. By some peoples logic, pulling the hammer back, and then pulling the trigger would satisfy the "2 mechanical action", but remember the law also states that there may not be a round in the "firing position". So with an empty chamber, racking the slide to chamber a round would be the first action, and pulling the trigger would be the second.

Next is revolvers. Most people will say that without a permit, two cylinders must be empty. One in line with the barrel, and the next cylinder to advance. This is a safe assumption. However, "firing position" is not defined by the State of Utah, and there are two types of revolvers to consider.

Lets assume for now that, in the case of revolvers, that "firing position" means the round that is under the hammer and inline with the barrel.

With this "assumed definition" in mind a single action revolver would only need one cylinder, under the hammer, to be empty. This would satisfy the requirement to leave the "firing position" empty. A single action revolver will not fire unless you first pull the hammer back. This is the first mechanical action. Pulling the trigger would be the second.

Double action revolvers will fire with just a pull of the trigger, and would therefore require two empty cylinders. The "firing position" may be empty, but pulling the trigger once will cause the next cylinder to fire if not empty.

Obviously, if you possess a concealed firearm permit, from any state or county, then you are exempt from this law and may carry however you please.

One more note to add. Utah's Governor just signed a new law amending 76-10-504 and 76-10-505. Starting May 11th, it will no longer be a crime to carry concealed or loaded handguns in your vehicle without a permit. This change has no affect on persons who already possess a concealed firearm permit.

:blink: Whew! Did you read this far? Sorry about all that... :tongue:

Oh, and I am the Kevin Jensen in this article.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...-hiding-their-weapons-embrace-open-carry.html

SGT Kevin Jensen
Utah State Researcher,
OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

#13 ·
Yet another reason to have your CCW permit...to avoid these types of 'maroom' laws.:hand1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.