Encountered my first "man with a gun" experience yesterday

This is a discussion on Encountered my first "man with a gun" experience yesterday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will try to keep this brief...don't want to get all Tolstoy with you all: Yesterday afternoon, I went to Uncle Julios Rio Grand Cafe ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Encountered my first "man with a gun" experience yesterday

I will try to keep this brief...don't want to get all Tolstoy with you all:

Yesterday afternoon, I went to Uncle Julios Rio Grand Cafe at the Reston Towncenter (Northern Virginia). Met up with a few old work buddies, sit down at the cocktail area in front of the bar. Order a beer and have a nice time. 20 or so minutes go by and the General Manager, named Luis Garcia taps me on the shoulder, apologizes for interrupting me and my group and asks to speak with me. He takes me aside and tells me that some of the guests in the restaurant are a bit freaked out because there is a "man with a gun." I ask him what he wants me to do, he wanted me to tuck it away, I explain to him that VA state law requires that I keep it open so on and so on...I tell him that I am happy to leave if he so wants me to, as that is his right under VA state law to ask me to leave or I can go put it in my car...he insists that I stay and enjoy my time there.

Fast forward 30 minutes later and he comes back up to me and asks to speak with me once again...apparently some other guests called Reston Town Center security and let them know that there was a man with a gun in the restaurant and the security assured them that it was perfectly legal to open carry. Luis once again apologizes and thanks me for my business. I let him know that my wife and I are huge fans of their Carne Asada and that we frequent the place quite often. Again, thank yous all around, tells me to please go back to my friends and enjoy. I finish my beer, pay, walk out and went shopping for the wife.

I am not really 100% sure what the purpose of him coming up to me was all about, I guess to keep me "in the loop" if there was to be an issue. I am still laughing at this situation...I really want to know who the were that were getting all up in arms (ha!) about a "man with a gun."

Over all it was a pleasant experience, and I will go back.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

VIP Member
    I've been OC'ing in restaurants in VA for over 10 years. From Richmond to NoVA and no one has ever said a thing to me. The closest was at a Olive Garden in Richmond, where several of the staff kept walking by looking at my gun no my hip.

I am really surprised they allow you to open carry AND drink! If you have a CCW here, you cannot be armed and drink alcohol. Of course, this is California!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I am really surprised they allow you to open carry AND drink! If you have a CCW here, you cannot be armed and drink alcohol. Of course, this is California!
    Virginia's great 'aint it?

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    Maybe We should move there to Virginia

VIP Member
    JMO....but, I don't think it should be legal to drink alcohol while carrying.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I really want to know who the were that were getting all up in arms (ha!) about a "man with a gun."
    Really you don't want to know, this could only lead down the path to confrontation. Sheep bleating about being assualted by a man with a gun who's been drinking (not sure if you had more then one)

This is not meant as a blast at you, but rather a pull you aside talk.

Virginia's one of the State's I am thinking about moving to once I'm fully retired from the Army.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

At least the manager kept you in the loop, not many will do that anymore.

He probably figured you made the place a little safer.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I've actually seen a CHP have a beer with lunch and return to his motorcycle duty after lunch. I wonder if that counts?

Muk

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Really? Why is that? Would YOU be more apt to pull your weapon and shoot someone?

Or should we be unable to protect ourselves because we have enjoyed a beer with dinner?

Just asking.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

I can see that. We certainly don't want people who might enjoy a beer with their dinner to have the ability to defend themselves if they're attacked, do we?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I'm impressed with the GM of that restaurant. If I am ever up there I know a great place to go now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Virginia law indicates that you can't be under the influence of alcohol while carrying a gun.

It doesn't defind "under the influence" but states that if you can be charged with drunk driving, or public intoxication, that you will be considered to be under the influence.

I don't see anything wrong with having a beer or a glass of wine while carrying but I don't just to be on the safe side.

Yeah. Virginia is pretty cool.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I didn't want to be the first to jump on the anti-drinking comment and head down that road. But now that a few others have - I know when I have a glass of wine with dinner, I immediatly go looking for a fight.

And to stay on topic:
    I think that the manager had to be seen by the complaining patrons as having gone over and spoken to the OP. After they'd complained, they'd be watching to see how he dealt with the situation. I'd guess he was hoping to be able to go back and explain to the complainers that the OP was legal and seemed like a normal standup guy (and then be able to happily liberate everyone of their money).
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

When we are in uniform or carrying....NO ALCOHOL for us, PERIOD!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links