OC in LV,NV?

This is a discussion on OC in LV,NV? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you are correct regarding pre emption law, but every city has their ordinance, and if one doesnt want to get hassled by the cops you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: OC in LV,NV?

you are correct regarding pre emption law, but every city has their ordinance, and if one doesnt want to get hassled by the cops you might want to follow their rules. yea i know about the pre emption law, just ummm i dont want to get hassled in Hend, and in NLV, so i dont even go there. check this sight out, its stating the same thing i am, CCW LAS VEGAS | Nevada Gun Laws

in short:
    State Pre-emption Law

Nevada has a series of state laws (called "pre-emption laws") that prohibit counties and municipalities from enacting firearms laws (except with regard to the discharge of firearms). Specifically, NRS 244.364, NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222.

North Las Vegas Warning: The incorporated city of North Las Vegas has a city ordinance that prohibits the transportation of loaded guns in vehicles. Although this ordinance is in violation of NRS 268.418, the City of NLV has simply decided to ignore the state law. You may be cited, arrested, and prosecuted by the City of NLV for violating this ordinance (even though state law says they can't have the ordinance in the first place). A lawsuit has been filed against the City of NLV in Nevada District Court seeking to have the ordinance repealed.

2. Remove Ads

cliff notes: (lol) every city has their laws, so we must follow it.... unfortunately. so i just avoid it all, and dont go to Hend/NLV

Re: OC in LV,NV?

Its well known around here that NLV PD violates the preemption law and they do make invalid arrests...but I've never heard of any issues with Henderson PD in regards to CC. I live in Henderson and CC in Henderson and will continue to do so.
    Imo, you shouldn't make a blanket statement that its illegal, provide all the info and let each make their own decision about where they carry and where they don't.

FWIW, NLV issues were discussed in my ccw class, Henderson was not.

true, but its better to warn them that it is, because its in writing, im not making it up. we both provided good links regarding preemption, and the municipal code of Henderson. everyone is at least warned. same here, NLV was discussed too, but hey again, its in writing, and if it says it is i wont even test them

Disregard my posts about cc in Henderson. I just spoke with an officer here, while delivering, and said its perfectly legal, i thne. Showed him the municipal code and said that it was an out dated ("1954") and no longer applies
    ONESICKXD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Injentech View Post
    Disregard my posts about cc in Henderson. I just spoke with an officer here, while delivering, and said its perfectly legal, i thne. Showed him the municipal code and said that it was an out dated ("1954") and no longer applies
    Good to know!

nice, good stuff! did you apply already? or how do you know you're getting it next week
    I mean in till i take the class which I still havent had time for it lol I been open carrying and i havent been messed with by LEO...

Quote Originally Posted by ONESICKXD View Post
    I mean in till i take the class which I still havent had time for it lol I been open carrying and i havent been messed with by LEO...
    good, its crazy seeing youtube videos where people that open carry always get harrased. if you take the ccw take it at "the gun store" its a free class, have you been harassed from any restaurants/stores for oc-ing?

Except for desert hiking, I have never seen anyone here in Northern Nevada OC. There are several "Gun Free Zones" that are marked and sometimes that is in small print in the lower right hand side of the door. Bummer about COSCO and a couple others.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Except for desert hiking, I have never seen anyone here in Northern Nevada OC. There are several "Gun Free Zones" that are marked and sometimes that is in small print in the lower right hand side of the door. Bummer about COSCO and a couple others.
    thats what sucks. im happy the state of NV is gun friendly, but whats the point if when you go out to dinner with the family, or gf in my case, and they say they dont want firearms. so its always an inconvenience to the family :/

good, its crazy seeing youtube videos where people that open carry always get harrased. if you take the ccw take it at "the gun store" its a free class, have you been harassed from any restaurants/stores for oc-ing?
    The gun store is also notorious for giving out incorrect information and passing off opinions as fact (specifically with reference to open carry). Just my opinion, but something as serious as training on firearms laws shouldnt be auctioned to the lowest bidder. There are many affordable, qualified instructors here in LV.

I know this is an old thread, but for those reading it now you do NOT need to carry your blue card with your firearm in Clark County.
    Foxy likes this.

This topic has been hashed and re-hashed on numerous threads. I feel pretty comfortable saying that most on this forum have expressed that OC is generally a bad idea outside of a uniformed, official capacity as a LEO or legit security personnel.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

As long as you're not on the strip you will most likely have no issues. I have a NV CCW and OC all over town. No one seems to notice.
    Foxy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I asked you to post it, because you are incorrect in your assumption that its illegal to carry concealed in Henderson with a valid Nv ccw permit. That law is no longer valid, check out the NV preemption statute...you're so good at Google I'll let you find it.

Btw, North Las Vegas also has a law stating you must have a permit issued by the chief of police. Check of their code of ordinances section 9.32.010....In case you're wondering, its no longer valid either.
    Chapter 9.32 - WEAPONS GENERALLY

You're welcome.

A CCW permit issued by any NV county is valid throughout the entire state, with the exception of prohibited places as noted in NRS 202.3673.
    I like this member!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links