Just had an interesting interaction with LEO

This is a discussion on Just had an interesting interaction with LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, So some background...my truck has been stolen out of my driveway and my next door neighbor has had his racing trailer stolen as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just had an interesting interaction with LEO

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Just had an interesting interaction with LEO

Hi All,

So some background...my truck has been stolen out of my driveway and my next door neighbor has had his racing trailer stolen as well.

So it's 4:15 in the morning, and the dog wakes us up because it sounds like someone is rattling around in my outside shed. I got up, put on a pair of pants and holstered my XD. Then I had my wife call the "thin blue line." My philosophy of SD is that I am not willing to go and confront that burglar; I will stay inside, protect my family, and wait for the police with regard to the "stuff."

Well a couple of things. First, it took them like 10 minutes to get here ("When seconds count...). Second, when my wife told them I was armed the operator told my wife to have me put my firearm away because the cops were coming. Umm...no. I will put it up after they get here, thank you very much. It is 100% my right in AZ to carry, so no dice. I must say that they arrived rather quickly after that...

When they finally responded I went outside as he came up. I was OC and it was clear that the officer was a little nervous about that. He asked if I was armed and I said yes. I was waiting for him! He cleared the yards while I put it away to make him feel better. He was a good guy, no worries...

Turns out my neighbor had a new trailer that made a God-awful noise when he hitched it up that sounds remarkably like my shed opening. They were nice about it, said it had been a slow night (like 4 officers responded...).

This response time TOTALLY reinforced my decision to carry. It took them FOREVER to get here. It also reinforced my philosophy that I will defend my family with deadly force but not my stuff.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Hi All,

This response time TOTALLY reinforced my decision to carry. It took them FOREVER to get here. It also reinforced my philosophy that I will defend my family with deadly force but not my stuff.

That is cool that you kept a level head and were able to distinguish the the need of SD of property ("stuff") vs what really matters (loved ones).

I do not mean to get all high and mighty here, but aside from my "major electronics" (flat screen tvs, xbox, etc.)...my life could fit in my Honda Civic...seriously man, letting your stuff own you will ultimately lead in heartache.

So wait...they used your truck to steal your neighbors trailer? LOL! Creative on their part if that's the case.

I could only hope for a 10 minute response time. Closer to 30 for us here in the sticks.

Glad it all worked out for you.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

It also reinforced my philosophy that I will defend my family with deadly force but not my stuff.
    Good philosophy!
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

VIP Member
    Well played. Things could have been worse. Not sure I would have greeted the LEO with my weapon in my hand though.

Still, well done.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Well played. Things could have been worse. Not sure I would have greeted the LEO with my weapon in my hand though.

Still, well done.
    Where does he say it was in his hand? It only says he was open carrying.

Good job staying inside and calling 911, had you been outside looking around with a weapon when they rolled in the story may have read a lot different.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Hi All,

So some background...my truck has been stolen out of my driveway and my next door neighbor has had his racing trailer stolen as well.

So it's 4:15 in the morning, and the dog wakes us up because it sounds like someone is rattling around in my outside shed. I got up, put on a pair of pants and holstered my XD. Then I had my wife call the "thin blue line." My philosophy of SD is that I am not willing to go and confront that burglar; I will stay inside, protect my family, and wait for the police with regard to the "stuff."

Well a couple of things. First, it took them like 10 minutes to get here ("When seconds count...). Second, when my wife told them I was armed the operator told my wife to have me put my firearm away because the cops were coming. Umm...no. I will put it up after they get here, thank you very much. It is 100% my right in AZ to carry, so no dice. I must say that they arrived rather quickly after that...

When they finally responded I went outside as he came up. I was OC and it was clear that the officer was a little nervous about that. He asked if I was armed and I said yes. I was waiting for him! He cleared the yards while I put it away to make him feel better. He was a good guy, no worries...

Turns out my neighbor had a new trailer that made a God-awful noise when he hitched it up that sounds remarkably like my shed opening. They were nice about it, said it had been a slow night (like 4 officers responded...).

People work very hard for their 'stuff'...for some, their 'stuff' is their livelhood...one should be able to defend it...in TX you CAN.
    I can certainly 'investigate' the removal of my 'stuff'...and if I'm seriously attacked while doing so...I can defend my life.
    I know, I know...all may not agree.

I've not had an 'experienced' LEO feel uncomfortable with me remaining armed...either here in FL, or in KY.

Stay armed...protect the homefront...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    People work very hard for their 'stuff'...for some, their 'stuff' is their livelhood...one should be able to defend it...in TX you CAN.
    I can certainly 'investigate' the removal of my 'stuff'...and if I'm seriously attacked while doing so...I can defend my life.
    I know, I know...all may not agree.

I've not had an 'experienced' LEO feel uncomfortable with me remaining armed...either here in FL, or in KY.

Stay armed...protect the homefront...stay safe!
    You'll get no argument from me.

Depends on whats going on. I do agree about the family being safe more than the "stuff" being stolen. They are gonna have to get through the electric fence and the dogs first so...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It was on my hip in an OWB holster OC. Answering the door with gun in hand when antsy LEO showed up would have been stupid IMAO. :)

Hey, if you want to defend your "stuff" that is your right. Here in AZ it is allowed as well, though it is not allowed to escalate the conflict. There is some gray area there. However, I have decided that it is not worth the risk to me of getting into a deadly force confrontation over "things" that are covered by my homeowners insurance. I am not willing to get into a shooting match to save my insurance company some money on a claim. I want to see my kids grow up and have kids of their own...so I will defend their lives with my own and my wife's as well. I can always replace possessions though.

Nah, the truck ran away and went on a 48-hour "bender." He came back a little the worse for wear but we cleaned him up good. :) The trailer, though, is gone forever.

And the LEO was great. He was super nice afterward, very understanding of us calling, nice guy. He did a great job clearing the property. I talked to him for a bit. I just thought it was interesting that the emergency operator wanted me to put the firearm away WHILE THE COPS WERE ON THE WAY!

Thanks for all the replies!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Sounds like it turned out good for you STAY ARMED & SAFE H/D

The police do not have a constitutional right to protect the indivual, according to the Supreme Court.

Just Google Supreme court decisions on police protection. Here is just one example.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. 2nd Amendment.

For Those Who FOUGHT For It FREEDOM Has a Flavor the Protected WILL NEVER KNOW.
    SEMPER FI!!

....put the gun away WHILE THE COPS WERE ON THE WAY.

What does that accomplish??

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater View Post
    The police do not have a constitutional right to protect the indivual, according to the Supreme Court.

Just Google Supreme court decisions on police protection. Here is just one example.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html
    The part they seem to leave off of every police car is the rest of the statement...To Protect and Serve the Public Interest is what it should say. Even as a student working towards being a police officer, I am under no false hopes that the police can protect me as an individual...but I know that me and the steel tucked between my belt and body can...and will.

Glad to hear that all was safe on the homefront...even if it wasn't quiet.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Ron
    [QUOTE=retsupt99;1069400]
    QUOTE]

Me neither, Ken, but then we "old"guys probably don't look very threatening to an LEO.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

MY STUFF is in my house,you come in my house I will use deadly force
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links