open carry in erie pa

This is a discussion on open carry in erie pa within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my question is is it legal for me to open carry in erie pa or does anyone know were i can find out if it ...

Thread: open carry in erie pa

open carry in erie pa

my question is is it legal for me to open carry in erie pa or does anyone know were i can find out if it is i am waiting for my concealed carry permit to come in the mail and i want to still have protection for me and my family.

2. Remove Ads

Short answer, yes. Open carry is legal anywhere in PA (except philly) without a permit. Can't carry in the the car though without a LTCF.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Quote Originally Posted by taurus pro View Post
    my question is is it legal for me to open carry in erie pa or does anyone know were i can find out if it is i am waiting for my concealed carry permit to come in the mail and i want to still have protection for me and my family.
    As already stated, the answer is a resounding "YES".

Now a comment on the bolded section of the quote. PA does not issue a concealed carry permit (as a great many Keystoners will tell you), it is a License to Carry Firearms.

S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

It is perfectly legal. In fact last summer there was an open carry dinner at Max and Erma's. They were very cool about it, no complaints from staff or patrons. The PAFOA forums are a good resource as well. Welcome to DC!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I would refer you to Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org They have a wealth of information there.

The problem arises when you are in your vehicle. You must have a permit to carry open or not.

On foot it is a moot issue. Assuming you were walking somewhere OCing you are ok.

so i can open carry when i am walking but what do i do when i go to get in my truck to go somewere what should i do with it in the truck untill i get somewere that i am walking and can carry again

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    so i can open carry when i am walking but what do i do when i go to get in my truck to go somewere what should i do with it in the truck untill i get somewere that i am walking and can carry again
    No, unless you have a permit you can not have a gun in your truck/car period, unless you are going to and from the range, repair shop, gun show etc... even then it has to be unloaded and locked in the trunk to and from the location. Going to 7-11 to get a Slurpee would not qualify, even if it were unloaded in the trunk, you'd still be breaking the law.

This is why I think OC is a pain in the butt in PA. On foot it's great, the issue is getting places... Right now the only way you could legally OC in PA without a permit is to walk to and from a location. Unless you live right next to a shopping center or what not, it is a pain in the butt. It's easier once you get your LTCF. Then you can OC or CC in your truck all you want anywhere you go.

ok thanks for the info. i think ill just wait for my permit to come i think it will be much easier and then i dont have to worry about it

Links