Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

This is a discussion on Since open carry is legal, how do you carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tally XD I wouldn't say open carry is legal in most states. Its certainly not legal in Florida unless you are hunting, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I wouldn't say open carry is legal in most states. Its certainly not legal in Florida unless you are hunting, camping or fishing.

However, even if it was legal in Florida, I would still conceal.
    I'm sorry, you happen to live in one of 6 states where it's illegal to Openly Carry a firearm.

It's legal in 44 states, and I'd say that's a majority.

Carry On.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In Tennessee, Handgun Carry Permit holders (only) may carry openly or concealed. Open carry is based on an Attorney General opinion only, but is accepted generally by law enforcement in the state.

I am a public-school teacher. I do not open carry even though I am authorized to do so, because my school system would not look kindly upon it. And before anyone says, "It's none of their business what you do off of the clock"...the official reason given for terminating school teachers is not always the real reason, and there is little one can do about it.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Washington state places only a few restrictions on open carry:
    1. Must be 21 or over
    2. Cannot carry at all in the usual places (courthouses, jails, schools)
    3. You can transport, but cannot carry, in your vehicle UNLESS you have a CPL

I have to find a better OC holster because the one I have now sticks out a freakin' mile from my belt and feels lopsided. For now I conceal with a CrossBreed (best bargain ever!).

Things that inspire me to opt for concealed on any given day:
    1. Girlfriend is not "gun friendly"
    2. I don't have time to deal with panicky sheep
    3. I just plain old "feel like it"

Freedom means choice; it doesn't really matter to me which one a person chooses.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    I'm sorry, you happen to live in one of 6 states where it's illegal to Openly Carry a firearm.

It's legal in 44 states, and I'd say that's a majority.
    And I would say that if it is indeed "legal" in 44 states more people would be doing it in 44 states. I think that if you look harder you will find that, while on the state "books" as legal, it may not necessarily be tolerated nor legal in every county in any given state. Counties, and even cities, can site their own restrictions.

These restrictions, or laws, trump Federal and State law.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    OC is legal here in NH as well. But, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone exercising that right, and I've lived here 26 years.

The last thing you want to do is alarm an uneducated citizen and have a LEO start questioning you as to your intentions.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Concealed
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

And I would say that if it is indeed "legal" in 44 states more people would be doing it in 44 states. I think that if you look harder you will find that, while on the state "books" as legal, it may not necessarily be tolerated nor legal in every county in any given state. Counties, and even cities, can site their own restrictions.

Legal vs. generally practiced. It's indeed legal in all of these 44 states whether you think so or not. Check out that site, it's got case law, anecdotal evidence, and Attorney general opinions from as recent as 2008 proving the fact that it's legal.

We even have OC Barbecues here in Michigan in public parks, where we invite press and local law enforcement. Usually we get one or two news outlets to run a story.

And no arrests. Thank you very much.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    Legal vs. generally practiced. It's indeed legal in all of these 44 states whether you think so or not. Check out that site, it's got case law, anecdotal evidence, and Attorney general opinions from as recent as 2008 proving the fact that it's legal.

We even have OC Barbecues here in Michigan in public parks, where we invite press and local law enforcement. Usually we get one or two news outlets to run a story.

And no arrests. Thank you very much.
    Well, good for you! So, what do you get now, a little gold star?

So go into further research and look into the individual county and city ordinances as to firearms regulations. I will bet you many will differ from State law.

State law in Florida sets speed limits at 55mph on most all four lane highways. So, 55 is legal right in the state right? Well, try that in any smaller town where the 55mph drops to 35mph. Same highway, same state, different set of laws.

I choose to carry concealed anyway, so this matters not to me.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

So go into further research and look into the individual county and city ordinances as to firearms regulations. I will bet you many will differ from State law.

State law in Florida sets speed limits at 55mph on most all four lane highways. So, 55 is legal right in the state right? Well, try that in any smaller town where the 55mph drops to 35mph. Same highway, same state, different set of laws.

Michigan, like several other states, has complete preemption. This means that local ordinances against possession are unenforceable. Most don't even have them anymore. The people in Michigan are DOING something about it.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I wouldn't say open carry is legal in most states. Its certainly not legal in Florida unless you are hunting, camping or fishing............
    Wasn't it legal years ago...? I heard a story from a friend that her mom walked into a Supermarket and saw a guy with a 'cowboy rig' shopping...I thought open carry, or SASS was in town and the guy just plumb forget, know what I mean?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

In my state (Michigan) We have complete preemption of firearms law, making them uniform across the state. This is something we've had since 1990. MCL 123.1102. No matter where I am in the state, I can openly carry. The only exception (besides certain gun-free zones, which are also invalid if you have your concealed permit) is private property, since I can be asked to leave at any time, for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Wasn't it legal years ago...? I heard a story from a friend that her mom walked into a Supermarket and saw a guy with a 'cowboy rig' shopping...I thought open carry, or SASS was in town and the guy just plumb forget, know what I mean?
    The laws on the books making open carry illegal are part of the old "Jim Crow" laws, because the gov't could easily find a way for a black man to get denied his permit, all the while accepting anyone else, at the sheriff's discretion.

Some states later changed to "shall issue" states, eliminating the discretion, but never re-allowing open carry.

Michigan never disallowed open carry, hence, it's been legal since before the state was incorporated.

Depends on the state. Washington state law trumps any local city county law as is the case in many states. However the topic is not the pros & cons of OC or whether or not it is legal. The topic is since it IS in fact legal in most states how do you open carry. Please keep it on topic

Thanks for the intelligent responses guys. I have never used a retention holster as no one has ever been within touching distance of me without me being acutely aware of it in thirty years. So a gun grab has never been a real concern. However as I age and my reaction time is slowing I have been wondering how much slower a retention holster is
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Depends on the state. Washington state law trumps any local city county law as is the case in many states.
    Beat me to it. Although Nickel's doesn't seem too impressed with the state constitution. I hope his law goes into effect. I would love to be the test case for it; I could use the civil suit money.

The "open carry grab" concern seems logical on its face; but so far I haven't found one verifiable, legitimate story of this happening to any non-LEO. Even the gungrabbers don't have anything on it; and they would literally click their heels with glee if they could prove it.

If anyone can find a legitimate story of an open carrier getting his gun snatched by a criminal please PLEASE post it.

(And no, that one ultra fishy story about the guy in Virginia doesn't count. Unless you've found facts beyond the original allegation.)
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Beat me to it. Although Nickel's doesn't seem too impressed with the state constitution. I hope his law goes into effect. I would love to be the test case for it; I could use the civil suit money.

The "open carry grab" concern seems logical on its face; but so far I haven't found one verifiable, legitimate story of this happening to any non-LEO. Even the gungrabbers don't have anything on it; and they would literally click their heels with glee if they could prove it.

If anyone can find a legitimate story of an open carrier getting his gun snatched by a criminal please PLEASE post it.

(And no, that one ultra fishy story about the guy in Virginia doesn't count. Unless you've found facts beyond the original allegation.)
    I personally know a guy that had a cop come from behind (unnanounced) and attempt to grab his gun out of his Serpa CQC retention holster, and fail.

The officer could have gotten himself hurt pretty bad if he had done that to me. (Think about it: you don't know who he is until you turn around...)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links