Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

This is a discussion on Since open carry is legal, how do you carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is it that some states laws trump federal and some don't? Why isn't it uniform? And along same lines, what about county/sity laws trumping ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    How is it that some states laws trump federal and some don't? Why isn't it uniform? And along same lines, what about county/sity laws trumping state laws? Same thing?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

In TN concealed or open carry is only legal with a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit. No carry is legal without a permit.

I do open carry a majority of the time in the months that it isn't freezing, or in other words when I am not wearing a coat.

I carry either an XD .40 Service model or a Glock 23. Both are carried open or concealed in their respective Blackhawk SERPA holsters on my right hip, with at least one spare mag on my left.

This is a picture my wife snapped of me last summer when I came home from a run to the grocery store...I was not real enthusiastic about having my picture taken as you can see in the photo...

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

OC is legal in Ga. and it's fairly rare that I OC, but I have, from time to time.

My overall attitude is that it's nobody's business AND I'm not intrested in dealing with scared citizens everytime I OC.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I generally carry in a Desantis OWB holster with a thumb snap for retention. I occasionally carry a single action revolver (Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag) in a Mexican double loop holster by El Paso Saddlery, with a hammer thing for retention.

I OC as much as possible and conceal as discretion dictates.

New Member Array modificationvt's Avatar
    90% of the time I CC but occasionally what I want to wear for the day warrants OC or when I am riding my bike.
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so" Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    I personally know a guy that had a cop come from behind (unnanounced) and attempt to grab his gun out of his Serpa CQC retention holster, and fail.

The officer could have gotten himself hurt pretty bad if he had done that to me. (Think about it: you don't know who he is until you turn around...)
    On rare occasions something like that will happen here, but it's usually downtown and the LEO doing it isn't exactly "Cop of the Year" material. Trying to grab a gun that he has no business touching in the first place is easily one of the dumbest ways a cop could get himself shot.

I hope it never ends up that way because in a situation like that everybody would come out looking bad.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    OC is legal here in NH as well. But, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone exercising that right, and I've lived here 26 years.

The last thing you want to do is alarm an uneducated citizen and have a LEO start questioning you as to your intentions.
    In my 34 years here in Michigan I have never seen anyone open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I wish Texas had open carry laws!
    Last December,when I started getting into all this gun world( Which im in, up to the top of my head),and carrying everyday.I was most shocked to find out that Texas,was not a open carry state.I bet John Whayne is spinning in his grave like a top.Man Texas is the West in my mind,I just took it for granted that all the western open states,Montana,Org,Utah,New Mex,Nev.,all those places would be open carry,without even a permit,I still find it hard to believe,everytime I see a guy from Texas posting here, worring about being arreseted just for Printing...JEEZZZ Whats this Country comming to when Texeans cant hardly carry a gun,even if its concealed.....its allmost enough to make ya move.....

I too thought Texas was an open carry state. When I think of Texas I envision the Wild West. That really is disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    I too thought Texas was an open carry state. When I think of Texas I envision the Wild West. That really is disheartening.
    I think Arizona is the best example of this now. A lot of open carriers there. Not so common here in Nevada, but we'll see how it goes. I'll be open carrying all day today since I'm finally getting to shoot today. After that I'll know I'll feel safe carrying it and then I'll schedule my CC class.

Hi, I'm here in Arizona and I am very much the concealed carry person. BUT, I have been entertaining the idea of open carry for the fact of showing I carry and am proud of it. A couple of days ago I met a fellow gun owner at a gas station to buy some Speer Goldot Short Barrelled ammo for my .45. I had contacted him through an ad he had on backpage.com

He was open carrying a S&W .44 magnum in a leather holster. He said he was waiting for his CCW. Since that encounter I have started open carrying. I live and work here in Phoenix, which is the 5th largest city in the US.

NOBODY has said ANYTHING about the open carry, except my neighbor who started talking about his own 9mm.

I am going to keep trying this from time to time and see how it goes, but so far nobody in this big city seems to care.

Mississippi is an open carry State if you read our Constitution, but our AG stated that a holster Conceals part of the gun. So now you have to have a Firearms permit to open carry.
    I OC about 25% of the time(more in middle of summer) depending on outfit.
    Bad guys don't use holsters, and most people know that.
    I've had a cop ask me" you on the job" I replied "no,but I do have a permit" He replied "that's what I thought, I don't know many officers with a carry rig that nice" And it got me to wondering why?
    I was carrying my Kimber in a VM II with a t-shirt tucked in, so it was just the grip exposed.
    I OC when I want and don't worry that much what other people think....It's impossible to please everyone, so I please me
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Although legal I never OC except when going to and from the range.

It is interesting that one cannot OC in a Walmart, quick stop gas if beer is sold, or anywhere alcohol is sold even if not for consumption on the premises. One can carry in those places if CC, but not any place that serves alcohol.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I've gotta say, I hope you're just referring to your local Wally-World when you say it's illegal due to the amount of OCers I see here doing so! No-one here has ever said anything about how it's not allowed at our local store!!
    I OC everywhere I go. I've OC'd in Target, Borders, Pier 1, IHOP, Sizzler, Wal-Mart, grocery stores and so many other places without incident.

Sorry for digressing. I carry my M&P 45 in a Serpa CQC Holster, strong-side of course!! It's a comfortable setup and an awesome pistol! I love it!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Mississippi is an open carry State if you read our Constitution, but our AG stated that a holster Conceals part of the gun. So now you have to have a Firearms permit to open carry.
    I OC about 25% of the time(more in middle of summer) depending on outfit.
    Bad guys don't use holsters, and most people know that.
    I've had a cop ask me" you on the job" I replied "no,but I do have a permit" He replied "that's what I thought, I don't know many officers with a carry rig that nice" And it got me to wondering why?
    I was carrying my Kimber in a VM II with a t-shirt tucked in, so it was just the grip exposed.
    I OC when I want and don't worry that much what other people think....It's impossible to please everyone, so I please me
    Sounds like it's time for a clear holster!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Sounds like it's time for a clear holster!
    Or this one:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links