Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

This is a discussion on Since open carry is legal, how do you carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread asks the same question but wrongly assumes that open carry is illegal. By asking 'If open carry was legal, how would you carry?'I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

Another thread asks the same question but wrongly assumes that open carry is illegal. By asking 'If open carry was legal, how would you carry?'I think semantics matter so thought I would re-ask the question. Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?

Fact is that Open Carry is legal in most states and does not require a permit. Weapons permits concealed weapons permits came in to being to vest those that would hide their gun. Concealed carry was thought to be sneaky deceitful and under handed. Honorable men did not need to hide their gun and trick others into thinking they were unarmed. The realm of criminals cowards and sneaks, so concealed weapons permits came into being to exclude those with ill intent from carry a gun covertly. Your concealed weapons permit is evidence that it is believed that you are an honorable person. Personally I am not ashamed of who I am or what I do. I would like others to be open and honest with me. So I am completely transparent in all I do. As open and honest as I can be. I open carry strong side, when it is reasonable to do so.
    Values and opinions have changed, even in todays world open carry remains legal. Since open carry is legal, how do you carry?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

jfl
    No hard truth; you'll find lots of different opinions here, most well thought.

For me it is a matter of circumstances; I'd rather carry concealed, but when it is inconvenient, I'd carry open.
    Like many things in life , it depends on the individual, the circumstances, the environment, etc.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I wish Texas had open carry laws!

I use a Serpa CQC Level 3 retention holster, strong side. I currently every-day carry a Glock 17 9mm with two spare mags on my belt.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    I use a Serpa CQC Level 3 retention holster, strong side. I currently every-day carry a Glock 17 9mm with two spare mags on my belt.
    I've always wondered: can you draw from the weak hand with this type of holsters ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I've always wondered: can you draw from the weak hand with this type of holsters ?
    You can't draw with a firing grip, if that's what you're asking.

It's not much different than drawing from a strong-side holster of any variety, there's no good way to do it. I draw with my off-hand by griping the slide and upper frame with my forefinger and thumb, depress the SERPA release with my middle finger, and then shift to a halfway decent grip and complete the draw.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Although legal I never OC except when going to and from the range.

It is interesting that one cannot OC in a Walmart, quick stop gas if beer is sold, or anywhere alcohol is sold even if not for consumption on the premises. One can carry in those places if CC, but not any place that serves alcohol.

Regards,
    Jerry

wpk
    It's legal to OC here in Ohio, but I always conceal. I don't even worry too much about losing an element of surprise, I just don't want to have to deal with the issues that can arise from it. If I was way out in the woods somewhere I'd think about OC as it would be more comfortable to be hiking around with, but around town (which is where I always am) it's 100% concealed.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I never open carry in town because I'm usually too shot of time and engery to want to risk being slowed down or detained due to some sheep's angst.

I haven't yet, but I intend to open carry when out in the desert or in rural areas, because we've got a lot of crime and a modicum of dangerous dogs, etc. I want to be able to make it clear to criminals while they're still at some distance that I'm armed and won't go down easily -- so go prey on someone else. I also want the fastest draw possible if it comes to that.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I wouldn't say open carry is legal in most states. Its certainly not legal in Florida unless you are hunting, camping or fishing.

However, even if it was legal in Florida, I would still conceal.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Check the link above. Only six states absolutely do not allow it, and those states are currently working to make it so.

ETA: I open carry a 5 shot snubbie in a Galco thumb break strong side, when I choose to open carry.

VIP Member
    I use a level 2 paddle holster, strong side. But I OC only about 10% or less of the time. I prefer CC.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I open carry sometimes when I go out of town. I'd prefer people I work for (and other aquaintances) not know I carry a gun. So I conceal most of the time
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OWB friction retention leather at about 4 o'clock. Would prefer 3 but dunlop disease interferes. Heck if I lost the spare tire it probably would be at 3, at least my arm rests over the slide for retention action.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I plan to OC a lot at first until I get my CC permit. If I like it so much, I'll probably keep doing so. I already have an IWB holster that will work when I'm wearing a shirt tucked in and I'm thinking about getting a paddle holster as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links