Open carry in Alabama! - Page 2

Open carry in Alabama!

This is a discussion on Open carry in Alabama! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whatever happened to the Al Carry (or whatever it was called) site that I used to see mentioned every now and again? I haven't seen ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in Alabama!

HKR
    Whatever happened to the Al Carry (or whatever it was called) site that I used to see mentioned every now and again? I haven't seen it advertised lately.

I've seen exactly two OC'ers in Alabama in ten years. One in Fort Payne and the other in Bridgeport. May have been LEO, I didn't care to ask.

I occasionally OC in Georgia and even more rarely in Tennessee. I've never OC'ed in Alabama outside of the woods. I don't intend to. There are too many questions left unanswered in Alabama.

We lived in Alabama (mobile County to be exact) from 1993 to 2005. I always wanted to open carry and knew there was a 1984 AG opinion that stated it was legal, but I also knew that there were several people who went to jail for doing it in Alabama.

The deal is, you get charged with disturbing the peace as soon as some blue haired old lady freaks out at the sight of your gun.

Now that we live here in Tennessee, not only do we not worry about hurricanes anymore but, the Tennessee carry law is quite clear. Open carry is legal and you can not be arrested for doing it.

In short, I didn't OC in Alabama, but I OC in Tennessee a lot. Advantage, Tennessee.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    I was considering writing a letter to the DA or someone of a prominent judicial standing and asking them. I was also planning on telling them I planned on putting the response(if said response was positive) on some sort of card so I can carry it on my person as proof that it was legal. What do you guys think? This is only a thought kinda wanted to get yalls input.. Any suggestions on who I might contact? thanks!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    I was considering writing a letter to the DA or someone of a prominent judicial standing and asking them. I was also planning on telling them I planned on putting the response(if said response was positive) on some sort of card so I can carry it on my person as proof that it was legal. What do you guys think? This is only a thought kinda wanted to get yalls input.. Any suggestions on who I might contact? thanks!
    sounds like a start, but I don't know where it will go. I don't know that anyone will say anything more than that old AG opinion, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to find out.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

its worth a try! u never know..He/She may clarify everything!! never know??
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

ok so i found the name of the DA in Huntsville and I have written a draft letter that i plan to email to him. any suggestions on grammar, wording, and content are appreciated. thanks

here is the letter

Dear Mr. Morgan,

Hello my name is Julian Olander. I am contacting you for some clarification on an Alabama law. I would very much appreciate any information on the laws of open carrying a pistol in Alabama. Is it legal to carry openly? If so can you tell me the limitations of the law? The reason for asking is it is a highly debated topic in the gun community and there are a lot of different opinions on this issue. The goal of this email is to clarify the laws so there is no confusion, at least in Alabama. Also I was considering creating a card with the information you provide , if OC is legal. So that if I am confronted I can have some sort of proof other then my word. I really appreciate any information you can provide in regards to this subject.

Thanks,
    Julian Olander

i would mention and attach the AG opinion
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    i would mention and attach the AG opinion
    Seconded.

I can almost guarantee that people will be giving you their opinion on the matter, rather than fact. Giving them hard evidence like the AG opinion will force their hand in giving a truthful response.

does any one have a link to it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    does any one have a link to it?
    just google alabama ag opinion open carry....it's like the third hit
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

here is the updated letter. what do yall think?

Dear, Mr. Morgan

Hello my name is Julian Olander. I am contacting you for some clarification on an Alabama law. I would very much appreciate any information on the laws of open carrying a pistol in Alabama. Is it legal to carry openly? If so can you tell me the limitations of the law? Can I be arrested for OC in public? The reason for asking is it is a highly debated topic in the gun community and there are a lot of different opinions on this issue. The AG opinion(http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf) is what most people base there opinions on. Is this still relevent? The goal of this email is to clarify the laws so there is no confusion, at least in Alabama. Also I was considering creating a card with the information you provide , if OC is legal. So that if I am confronted I can have some sort of proof other then my word. I really appreciate any information you can provide in regards to this subject.

Thanks,
    Julian Olander

Senior Moderator
    Good job, I would like the Alabama law to be clarified please let us know what you hear
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

dont ask if its relevant just cite it in the letter
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

ok guys just sent it! hopefully ill hear something soon!

Have you heard anything? I was detained because a woman called in a complaint saying I was opening carrying. I wasn't open carrying and turns out it was my cell phone (in a phone holster) the woman described. I wasn't booked, even handcuffed on that matter. Just sat in the back of a patrol car until the situation was figured out and released almost immediately. I was able to keep my permit. Complete crap. I thought about taking legal action, but the officer & the officer's field supervisor expressed a sincere apology that I have since accepted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links