Open carry in Alabama!

This is a discussion on Open carry in Alabama! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize it is legal to OC in AL but I was wondering the limitations of this?? like where can I OC and cant? what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in Alabama!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Open carry in Alabama!

I realize it is legal to OC in AL but I was wondering the limitations of this?? like where can I OC and cant? what do you do if you are questioned by a police officer or for that matter anybody who asked?
    thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just make sure you are OCing legally, when someone asks or bugs you about it, let them know it is legal and you like to excercise your rights.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I would not open carry in Alabama

My Pistol license states that my weapon must be concealed either on my person or in my vehicle.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would not open carry in Alabama

My Pistol license states that my weapon must be concealed either on my person or in my vehicle.
    And what if you have no license? Yes, that license applies to concealing. If you're carrying openly, you are outside the purview of that license.

Read Alabama AG opinion on the matter: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/oldopinions/8400205.pdf

Senior Moderator
    I am worried about local Police reaction, if you want to be a test case then go ahead.

I can not afford the legal fees it would cost to prove a point.

zigziggy have you ever lived in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am worried about local Police reaction, if you want to be a test case then go ahead.

I can not afford the legal fees it would cost to prove a point.

zigziggy have you ever lived in Alabama

You wouldn't be the first to openly carry in your state. The Alabama subforum on opencarry.org is very active, with many people reporting on their experiences with OC in the state. Check it out.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks zigziggy

thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

I work for the Department of Army in Huntsville. I've asked both LEO and people at Larry's pistol and pawn. Every answer I got has been that Alabama is a concealed carry state. Granted, none of those individuals are part of the judiciary. However, I also have never seen anyone open carry. So, even though open carry may be legal, as mentioned above, the consensus I have experienced seems to suggest that many are unaware that open carry is permitted, assuming that is truly the case (I'm no legal expert).

Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    I work for the Department of Army in Huntsville. I've asked both LEO and people at Larry's pistol and pawn. Every answer I got has been that Alabama is a concealed carry state. Granted, none of those individuals are part of the judiciary. However, I also have never seen anyone open carry. So, even though open carry may be legal, as mentioned above, the consensus I have experienced seems to suggest that many are unaware that open carry is permitted, assuming that is truly the case (I'm no legal expert).

You're no legal expert, and neither are the cops. Check out this article:

Ignorance of the Law Is an Excuse for Law Enforcement : Lone Star Times

Yes, that's right. Ignorance of the law for the average citizen lands you in jail. But when a cop does it? Well, gee! They can't be expected to know every law on the book! (Laying the sarcasm on thick here...)

okay, I've looked into this and this is what I can offer you. It has not been pre-emted by the state. Basically, the state doesn't say anything about it. So it's not necessarily illegal, but it's questionable and you are likely to have trouble if you do OC. I assume you don't want to be a test case.

I've seen that AG opinion, but I think it's a little old. Not that that matter a whole lot, but it's just really risky.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

yeah i agree its to risky unless i am for sure and can carry some proof on my person!! until that time i will just CC. thanks for the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    yeah i agree its to risky unless i am for sure and can carry some proof on my person!! until that time i will just CC. thanks for the info everyone!
    you could carry that AG opinion with you, but I'd be willing to bet that the arresting officer wouldn't care, and you might get a prosecutor that wants to set an example e.g. a test case for open carry in Alabama...lol
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    you could carry that AG opinion with you, but I'd be willing to bet that the arresting officer wouldn't care, and you might get a prosecutor that wants to set an example e.g. a test case for open carry in Alabama...lol
    hahah yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Yes, you may get a cop and prosecuting attorney with a testosterone problem, trying to retain their alpha-male status.

Case law, and AG opinion are already on your side. So is legislation. They'd be hard-pressed to successfully take this to trial. and that's only if the prosecuting attorney had the stones to get this before a grand jury.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links