Open Carry - Legal in 44 states.

This is a discussion on Open Carry - Legal in 44 states. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's a lot of incorrect information being spread among gun owners on this website. Let's try to clear some things up. Every state has its ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - Legal in 44 states.

Open Carry - Legal in 44 states.

There's a lot of incorrect information being spread among gun owners on this website. Let's try to clear some things up.

Every state has its own laws regarding open carry. Please find your state here: OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! and click on it to get a detailed view.

Many people think that if you get a concealed carry permit, you are waiving your right to Open Carry. This is generally not so. You are merely gaining a privilege to conceal.

I get sick of seeing the inaccuracies being spread around as truth. Please, do the research yourself. Don't take advice from anyone, especially people you only know online (including me!). The laws are on the books. You have legislators that can be asked. One caveat: The police are generally as misinformed as most gun owners!

I'm not going to argue with you the benefits or risks taken when you choose to carry openly versus concealed. That's best left for another day. What I will say is this: Regardless of how you carry, the important thing is that you're armed!

Carry on!
    Last edited by zigziggityzo; March 25th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

2. Remove Ads

"Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Legal in 44 states, frowned upon in most of those, and illegal in Texas...what a topsy-turvey world.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

intriguing allegation

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    There's a lot of incorrect information being spread among gun owners on this website.
    Proof is the bottom line for everyone.

Thanks for posting the link.

Obviously opinions against open carry are prevalent here. I admit that I am against open carry in most situations. That said, it's important to know when you can open carry (which is, as you point out, more often than most believe).

I like living in an open carry state. When my gun get's exposed due to activity, the wind, etc. I don't have to worry about suddenly becoming a violator.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Unfortunately I live in one of those states where open carry is a NO NO..

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Obviously opinions against open carry are prevalent here.
    Hopefully not..... but I have said before, "We have met the enemy and they are us". I would imagine that people here are pro-open-carry, even if most choose to conceal whenever possible.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe I'll put up a poll to see.

I get sick of seeing the lies being spread around as truth.
    While I agree with nearly your entire post I must take exception with your use of the word, "lies," when you described the inaccuracies of some of the posts on this forum. I have seen this sort of statement being made more and more and it always troubles me as it assumes that the person making the incorrect statement is doing so intentionally, rather than mistakenly stating something they believe to be the truth. The difference is substantial.

So really 11 states are open carry, meaning that you can pretty much carry anywhere without getting the police called on you.

14 states are licensed open carry states, meaning there are restrictions for folks without licenses.

17 states allow some open carry, but you have a good chance of getting your butt in a crack if you do it where many other people are around.

2 states you can open carry in a rural setting, since they are CA, and IL it means you might get by with it on your own land, and put in jail for pretty much any place else.

6 states and DC don't allow for any open carry.

I still don't see the point or the advantage. Nor do I see much change in any of these standings in the near future. I am prefectly happy with my concealed carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

While open carry may be legal in your state, I would still check with the state Attorney General's office just in case there is some conflict with local ordinances.

I, too am perfectly happy with concealed carry.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I like living in an open carry state. When my gun get's exposed due to activity, the wind, etc. I don't have to worry about suddenly becoming a violator.
    This is something I've thought about as well. I wish Alabama would say something about where they stand on the issue. As of now, they just don't talk about it in the books.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    14 states are licensed open carry states, meaning there are restrictions for folks without licenses.
    HI and NJ are may-issue licensed carry (open or concealed) states. Take HI off your list because the license is never issued to a normal citizen. There may be a few normal citizens with a permit in NJ, but it's virtually the same as HI.

And "restrictions" for those without licenses in those states are total prohibitions.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I still don't see the point or the advantage. Nor do I see much change in any of these standings in the near future. I am prefectly happy with my concealed carry.
    The point is that this is your right to choose to exercise, if you so wish. The second amendment was written expressly to give you the right to keep and bear arms. Concealing (in most states, Vermont being an exception) is considered a privilege, which is why you have to both apply and pay a tax in order to do so.

You can be perfectly happy with paying for a privilege, but there are many who cannot (due to age or other reasons), and this is the right that's remaining.

...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    There are no qualifications listed in this amendment. No taxes allowed. No permits necessary. This is it.

1943 - 2009
    I get sick of seeing the lies being spread around as truth. Please, do the research yourself. Don't take advice from anyone, especially people you only know online (including me!). The laws are on the books. You have legislators that can be asked. One caveat: The police are generally as misinformed as most gun owners!
    This forum was started as a clearinghouse for accurate information dealing with legal concealed and open carry of firearms. The staff works extremely hard to keep it that way. Some things inevitably fall through the cracks, however.

So if you see something in the forum that that you feel is inaccurate or untrue, use the "Report This Post" feature. The moderators will deal with it.

Don't post in the open forum accusing us of spreading lies.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Apologies. Should have said inaccuracies. Will edit post for abrasive language.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links