Do DC regulars support Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Do DC regulars support Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So guys and gals, a post in this forum said that most here don't support Open Carry and it got me thinking. I believe that ...

View Poll Results: You are legally armed in Virginia, running errands. Friend wants to eat.

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd just go eat at the restauraunt, I'm already Open Carrying.

16 17.58%
  • I'd just expose my holster (tucking in my shirt, taking off sweater/jacket, whatever) to switch from concealed to open carry to stay legal in the restauraunt.

61 67.03%
  • I'd leave the gun in the car while I go to the restauraunt. (Don't want to OC, but still want to eat).

8 8.79%
  • I'd drive home to lock it up then go to the restauraunt. (Don't want to OC, don't want to leave the gun unsupervised in a car, don't mind the extra time)

0 0%
  • I wouldn't go to the restaurant. (I'm not going to be unarmed but not going to open carry either)

6 6.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do DC regulars support Open Carry?

So guys and gals, a post in this forum said that most here don't support Open Carry and it got me thinking. I believe that regular readers of this forum, for the most part, would support open carry.

Here's my somewhat-but-not-really-scientific-at-all poll question to test whether people here support OC (For those that aren't aware, in Virginia you basically can't carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol):

"You live in Virginia, have a Concealed Handgun Permit, and are armed while out running errands with a spouse/significant other/friend. They want to grab a bite to eat at a restaurant that you can't carry concealed in, what do you do?"

1) Just go eat, I'm already Open Carrying.
    2) Expose your holster (tucking in your shirt, taking off sweater/jacket, whatever) to switch from concealed to open carry to stay legal in the restauraunt.
    3) Leave the gun in the car while you go to the restauraunt. (Don't want to OC, but still want to eat).
    4) Drive home to lock it up then go to the restauraunt. (Don't want to OC, don't want to leave the gun unsupervised in a car, don't mind the extra time)
    5) Don't go to the restaurant. (I'm not going to be unarmed but not going to open carry either)

VIP Member
    I support OC, but also am not a huge fan of it. (personally prefer CC)
    I would choose #3, however, I only disarm because I don't want everyone to know
    i'm carrying. In my state I can CC in ANY restraunt, bar, night club, strip club, or pretty much anywhere else I want to go. There are very few exceptions here in Utah.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would leave the gun in my truck for that instance, don't want to tip my hand that I carry. If everyone one sees you open carry they would assume you conceal the rest of the time.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I support OC, but also am not a huge fan of it. (personally prefer CC)...
    +1

However, I don't mind if people notice I CC, depending on the situation. In addition, there are times I OC.

I don't 100% buy into the reasoning that OC in and of itself dentures a BG, because I partially agree you might be making yourself a target. I'm not stating one is right and the other is wrong. I just think they both have merit.

In the end, I support OC for the same reason I support CC, because I think it falls under the application of 2A rights.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    I support OC, I just don't practice it, unless in the circumstances you spelled out. Expose the weapon and go about my business at the restaurant and don't worry about it. I've been doing it for 10 years and have never had anyone say anything about it to me.

Or if you live in NC, you can't carry OC or CC in a restraunt.

We are currently fighting that good fight.

Wish us luck!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Or if you live in NC, you can't carry OC or CC in a restraunt.

We are currently fighting that good fight.

Wish us luck!
    GOOD LUCK! Every state should have some kind of carry available to them in a restraunt.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

IBTL, but I voted anyway. I would tuck in my shirt.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Unfortunately the poll won't answer your premise question (Do you support open carry). But it will answer whether or not people would open carry in these circumstances.

FWIW - I believe you refer to my post, and I answered that I'd tuck in my shirt.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I'd just expose my holster (tucking in my shirt, taking off sweater/jacket, whatever) to switch from concealed to open carry to stay legal in the restauraunt.

I'm always modular and adaptable, and I'll be darned if I'm going anywhere without.
    Do I support open carry? You betchya! By the way....have you signed the petition yet for the home state? Link is in my sig.

I'd expose the weapon (not my preference) and go in to eat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

it depends on the weather. that is, if it's warm, i'm probably already carrying openly. i only conceal when i have to, like when it's cold, or if i'm in the local mall, where they don't want guns.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have open carried before, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I was living in VA and was required to do it by law when entering a restaraunt that serves alcohol. I tend to worry when I lock my gun up in my car, the idea of it winding up on the streets just sickens me. I have a small car safe that is bolted into my vehicle, but someone determined enough could still easily break it loose. I would much rather have my gun on me.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

jfl
    The choice is simple !
    I shall be armed and shall be legal, and since it is my way of life it cannot interfer with my normal activities (like eating).

Actually, I don't really care; I'd rather conceal, but no big deal.

But each of us have different needs ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

kpw
    I support it and, on occasion, do it. We don't have those odd laws about restaurants and bars but if we did, it would be showing everytime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links