Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn. - Page 2

Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

This is a discussion on Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

Distinguished Member
    I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If I were a Security Guard or Policeman I would question someone with a gun. Why draw attention to yourself, you got a conceal carry permit for a reason. We don't need negative attention from the public, like people driving down the road with a cell phone in there ear. While I agree they might have been unprofessional, and that you should contact a supervisor, but if he hadn't seen your pistol it wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If I were a Security Guard or Policeman I would question someone with a gun. Why draw attention to yourself, you got a conceal carry permit for a reason. We don't need negative attention from the public, like people driving down the road with a cell phone in there ear. While I agree they might have been unprofessional, and that you should contact a supervisor, but if he hadn't seen your pistol it wouldn't have happened.
    All those crazed gunmen conceal right up until the point they're about to kill people.

Just look at the recent shooting in a church in Illinois. The man walked right down the center aisle in the middle of service. The pastor even asked "What can I do for you?" Only then did the man draw his weapon from concealment and begin firing.

See, bad guys like this "Tacticool" element of surprise.

I should remind you that you're in the OC forum. We talk about OC, not CC. Don't say "well you should have CC'd you have a permit" because obviously he didn't want to. That's the point. He didn't break the law. Now move along.

Fife X 3
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

Quote Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
    First off, if you have a common name like John Smith, they were probably just wanting to distinguish you from the John Smith that robbed the liquor store last month. In my opinion, answer all questions presented by a LEO and be polite and respectful. You obviously were as you didn't end up in hand cuffs. We citizens that do carry must remember to cooperate with the LEO's when needed to show that we are not just idiots.
    I agree, but I will also let there superiors know what whent down, you cant let over zealous wanna be cops get away with that kind of behavior
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

VIP Member
    My sister teaches at Beech High School. I've open carried around that area a couple times. Guess I need to watch out for the Rookies.
    The Park Police is use to people not being able to carry in Parks. I guess that includes the Dollar Store too.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Administrator
    I really don't see what was done wrong. OC is out of the norm, perhaps even suspicious in that area. Its an LEO's job to check into such things, and thats what they did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A right not exercised is a right lost. The point here is " IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL."
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Never ever give SSN! I don't carry it and if LEO asks simply state I don't remember it. SSN is not required for a CHL in GA. If you doubt this check Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

VIP Member
    Well, it is what it is and I would think twice before calling the cop shop superior. It’s your neighborhood and you may want to simply chalk this one up and let it fade away. No sense in pushing the matter since it will likely just keep the gossip going.
    Regards,

I always carry concealed but that doesn't change the fact that a TN HCP is not a concealed carry permit, but a handgun carry permit, OC or CCW. Yes the LEOs were in line to check, but once the HCP was shown they should have backed off. TN Mitch was legal and it is not in their pervue to lecture on how they feel about it. A simple "Thank you sir and have a good day" would have sufficed. When you show your driver's license at a routine check do they lecture you as to why you shouldn't drive the kind of car you drive?
    If Mitch had chosen to wear a Desert Eagle in a Bruscadero drop loop rig, he would have been legal. (Admittedly not too socially aware, but legal!)

The point here was not the fact that LEO checked him, but their conduct once it was established that he did possess an HCP. Hits me because I live in this area and I carry. There is always a chance you might "print" enough to draw attention and I will be respectful to LEO checking me, but I have every right as a law abiding citizen to expect courtesy back.

On a positive note, most other LEAs in this area are composed of very decent and friendly officers.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Don't stop with a phone message for this complaint. It is required in most jurisdictions to handle all formal complaints with an investigation. Formal Complaints must be in writing.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I would definatly take the time to inform their boss's that they need to inform their people that it is legal and a little bit of people skills wouldn't hurt either.

You should have not given them your SS#, he is not the tax man.

That's what you call a couple of very immature and unprofessional cops. the rookie learned another bad habit. I bet the chief would be upset if he found out what went on. You should follow up on your complaint to the chief. I would go down to his office to make the complaint.

if he hadnt seen it it wouldnt have happened....right,but Its not against the law to have it showing,or it would have been covered...thats my point,why have it leageal to OC when if you do it old ladies calling in man with a gun or some LEO giving you the third dregree like you did something wrong,or broke the law,,its alotta bu^^Sh&&.They out either make it a CC state or get over seeing them out in the open.Hows it negetive attenion,when its leagal to open carry?? people just dont like guns...the problem is that those people dont stop to think that,PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE,NOT GUNS....

Distinguished Member
    All I'm saying is that if you get enough soccer moms scared to death, it won't be long before your State passes a law against any type of carry and once that hits the news it won't be long before it has a snowball effect in other States, like mine. I don't have a problem with open carry, but why do it if you don't have to. You saw first hand the trouble that it caused you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links