Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

This is a discussion on Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right on your SS Card, it states that this number is not to be used for ID purposes. Your SSAN is none of their business ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

Right on your SS Card, it states that this number is not to be used for ID purposes. Your SSAN is none of their business and you are well within your rights to refuse that info to them. That being said, you should be real polite when telling them to Kiss Off.
    Life is too short to be serious!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I too hope you follow up with a complaint. The comments you overheard after they let you go really makes it sounds like they were more worried about harrassing you on a boring Sunday. Sounds like you kept your head and didn't let this park clown goat you into doing anything stupid.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

This may be my youthful naïveté speaking, but I don't see why you shouldn't assert your rights as a law-abiding citizen. No need to act like scared rabbit.

---
    Hello, officer. I'm here doing some shopping, as you can see. Yes I have an uncovered gun, but it's perfectly legal since I have a license. Of course, my ID is right here in my shirt pocket. I'm sorry you had to waste your time to come out here. It's unfortunate that the public is not more educated about lawful gun ownership. If you'll excuse me then, I'll be on my way. Am I free to go? With respect, officer, which school I went to is none of your business. I don't have anything to say about who I associate with. No, you may not have my SSN. No, you may not have my phone number. You already saw my address on my ID card. No you may not look in my shopping bags. I do not consent to any searches. Am I free to go, officer? I don't have anything more to say.
    ---

What's he gonna do, slam your face into the pavement and make a false arrest for standing up for your rights in an assertive, but respectful way?

SS cards used to have the statement-not for ID purposes. I think that disappeared in the late 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but there was no reason for them to ask for any more information than for your name and permit. Asking about your SS number is way off the wall and you had no requirement to answer.
    Well, if they question if you are infact the permit holder, if you could rattel off a SS #, address, etc sort of proves you are one prepared BG or who you say you are. Just sharing what I thing the reply will be, not saying I agree with it.

To OP, you were there, so you be the judge of how far it needs to go. I think it would be best to go to the PD, then report what the higher ups stated to the gun-right groups.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Administrator
    I agree about the SS number, but it is common practice to use that as an ID. Its not the officers fault, its the systems. I always ask for a D/L number first, but nobody ever knows that, they almost always know their SS number.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not a fan of giving out my SS number. Here in Nevada all our various cards (unarmed security/armed security/gaming/etc.) the number is all the same. I can provide the LEO my CCW permit number FROM MEMORY! If the LEO can't verify my CCW permit with that number I wonder about the information he's typing into the car computer!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 30th, 2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Computer glitch
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Man it's a shame you had to deal with that bs. I've got friends up around Sweet Lips. I'll pay closer attention when I'm up through there, now.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
    First off, if you have a common name like John Smith, they were probably just wanting to distinguish you from the John Smith that robbed the liquor store last month. In my opinion, answer all questions presented by a LEO and be polite and respectful. You obviously were as you didn't end up in hand cuffs. We citizens that do carry must remember to cooperate with the LEO's when needed to show that we are not just idiots.
    They can do that with a driver's license. They don't need his SSN for that.

In my opinion, you answer what you are required to by law, anything more, they can go fish.

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    SS cards used to have the statement-not for ID purposes. I think that disappeared in the late 60s.
    Mine still has it, and yes, it's the ORIGINAL card I got when I was about 13, 40 years ago. I don't know how I've managed to keep it this long. Maybe I should laminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If I were a Security Guard or Policeman I would question someone with a gun. Why draw attention to yourself, you got a conceal carry permit for a reason. We don't need negative attention from the public, like people driving down the road with a cell phone in there ear. While I agree they might have been unprofessional, and that you should contact a supervisor, but if he hadn't seen your pistol it wouldn't have happened.
    So, how do you like it out there in left field? Get many fly balls that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    Mine still has it, and yes, it's the ORIGINAL card I got when I was about 13, 40 years ago. I don't know how I've managed to keep it this long. Maybe I should laminate it.
    I got mine too, someplace (grin) think I could find it if I look hard enough.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    In regards to the SSN - (I bet Sixto will agree) it's not necessarily the answer you give but how you give your answer. The OP likely could have declined to give his SSN but it would be his demeanor that would be evaluated. Kind of like when the officer asks you where you're going or where you are coming from - they likely could care less but are just watching your behavior. If the officer noticed the OP getting flushed and extra nervous then red flags would have been going up. But if the OP respectfully declined to give out his SSN and asked the officer for another question to prove his ID, then I am sure the officer would have moved on.

I don't take issue with the officer asking for ID or the CCW permit - I take issue with the Park security clown running his mouth about being in the gang called 'Army' etc...
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

It seems to me you are pissed off because the cops did their job. If you want to complain about someone complain about the park security guy. The cops only showed up because the security guy called them. According to your story they did not disarm you (which they had every right to do) and they just asked you some questions and verified you were a good guy. Personally I think you are overreacting and need to calm down.

You might (I say might because of officer safety) have a reason to be pissed if they would have handcuffed you, taken your gun off of you and unloaded it, and then did their questioning and then, after they were done, gave your gun back to you in 10 parts and said you could put it back together and load it after they left.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    ... According to your story they did not disarm you (which they had every right to do) and they just asked you some questions and verified you were a good....
    Funny how you'd say that, given what's in your signature.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links