Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

This is a discussion on Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zigziggityzo Funny how you'd say that, given what's in your signature. apples and oranges...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    Funny how you'd say that, given what's in your signature.
    apples and oranges
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

I think I would have marked it up as a successful encounter.

Forget about the Park guy. He is a moron and not worth your efforts.

I think that once the real cops were called, they just felt that they needed to make sure you were a good guy.

I agree that I would feel differently if they had disarmed and/or hand cuffed you. But they didn't.

I would mark it down to just having completed an opportunity to educate the LEO's and the public a little bit about open carry. The more such encounters they see, the more comfortable they will get with them.

Just think of yourself as a activist.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Seems to me the park guy was trying to be a wanna be, and score some points with local leos. The leos were just doing their job. Call the park security supervisor and ask for a response; if he has a poor response, then make a written complaint demanding a formal response on the park's policies and procedures. The park security made your life inconvenient, make him have to explain himself to his supervisor. Maybe he will take something away from trying hassle people without being aware of laws. Then drop it and move on.
    Last edited by funwitHK; April 7th, 2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit Related Laws

Handgun Carry Permit T.C.A. Codes

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(t) Any law enforcement officer of this State or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual(s). The officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual(s) provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

I don't see anything here about requiring to give your SS # or answer non-related questions about whether you are in a gang. Sounds like they pushed the limits of their authority.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I don't see anything here about requiring to give your SS # or answer non-related questions about whether you are in a gang. Sounds like they pushed the limits of their authority.
    Nobody forced him to give a SS#. He was asked for it, thats it. It has become a means of identification, right or wrong on that point it is what it is. The LEO didnt do it, complain to those who did.
    Asking about gangs... whats wrong with that? Are you in a gang?

"Just blame Sixto"

Remember this line...

"Am I being detained?"

If they say no, then state you have nothing else to say and leave. If they say yes, they need to state WHY you are being detained (suspicion of xxxx) and at that point you shut up and stop answering questions. Once you proved you were legally carrying they should have let you go.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nobody forced him to give a SS#. He was asked for it, thats it. It has become a means of identification, right or wrong on that point it is what it is. The LEO didnt do it, complain to those who did.
    Asking about gangs... whats wrong with that? Are you in a gang?

Sixto...my post was to merely point out the laws pertaining to the poster's subject. I just do not understand why he was asked to give his SS # as a means of identification...when the officer was holding his DL & carry permit - both legal TN state issued forms of identification!!! What more would the officer learn by getting his SS #? As a matter of fact the state of Tennessee removed our SS #'s from our DL's because of all the reasons we all are aware of, (ID theft, etc.).

"The LEO didnt do it, complain to those who did."

I don't understand your statement here?

Am I in a gang??? Yeah, I hang with the AARP BOYS!!! Don't mess wif "West Tennessee Old Folks" YO!!!

They don't put SSNs on Michigan DL's either, but we have to submit the number when we first apply for our DL here. I think it may be included in the data on the magnetic strip, but I am not sure about that.

Back in the day, my grand-mother used to get scared of black people in her neighborhood. Called the cops on a couple, if I'm remembering the family stories correctly. Sure they had a right to be there, but they didn't need to scare people unnecessarily. If they had just stayed in their own neighborhoods...

No one should exercise their rights if it bothers other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Back in the day, my grand-mother used to get scared of black people in her neighborhood. Called the cops on a couple, if I'm remembering the family stories correctly. Sure they had a right to be there, but they didn't need to scare people unnecessarily. If they had just stayed in their own neighborhoods...

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If I were a Security Guard or Policeman I would question someone with a gun. Why draw attention to yourself, you got a conceal carry permit for a reason. We don't need negative attention from the public, like people driving down the road with a cell phone in there ear. While I agree they might have been unprofessional, and that you should contact a supervisor, but if he hadn't seen your pistol it wouldn't have happened.
    **Emphasis added
    In Tennessee we do not have Concealed Carry Permits. Our permit is a Handgun Carry Permit because open carry is specifically legal EVERYWHERE in the state of TN that it is legal to be armed with the permit. This is regardless of what any small town or big city police department thinks, believes or wants. Period.

It should never have happened at all because he was not breaking the law in any way at all. In fact, he was specifically following the law, no matter if the police officer(s) were aware of that or not. If they were not aware of the fact that he was legal, then they are not properly trained.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I might be in left field on this, but in this day and age with people going in churches, malls and schools killing people, If I were a Security Guard or Policeman I would question someone with a gun. Why draw attention to yourself, you got a conceal carry permit for a reason. We don't need negative attention from the public, like people driving down the road with a cell phone in there ear. While I agree they might have been unprofessional, and that you should contact a supervisor, but if he hadn't seen your pistol it wouldn't have happened.
    oh, hi! welcome to the open carry subforums, leave your opinion at the door, kthxbai!

Open Carry is the law in my state also and we have concealed permit holders and have to deal with both all the time here in Va and it's no problem for me because I respect the 2nd ammendment as well as being a Veteran Police Officer. I take precautions when dealing with all armed people but I try to do so without giving attitude that only I should be armed. I believe the opposite and know all too well that unfortunately we get to crime scenes after they happen. God Bless lawabiding responsible armed citizens for helping keep the wolves at bey. That said, remember that we have a job to do and when we get calls half the time by people who do not know their own states law about legal firearms carry wheter it's because they are yanks transplanted bringing their liberal anti-gun mindets or just dont choose to know the laws we still are obligated to follow up on our calls for service. Im sorry the guy made you feel the way you do. Trust me, we all will not leave you feeling violated and I sure as heck atleast try to explain myself to people better, especially when there is no law violation in the first place. The fact is though, people do freak when they see a person armed in public and call us. When I get those I make it a point to call them after the call and tell them for future situations that open carry is not illegal and that its accepted that many law abiding people are armed so maybe next time they want just call the cops everytime they see a person carrying legally and not breaking any laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post

I hate to tell you this, but that really hasn't changed much at all. I can not count how many times we get calls for service just because a person is black, especially if it's more than one person of color. And the ironic thing is every call is from a "annoynomous" source who do not wish to meet the Police after the response. Sorry, don't mean to get off topic,especially after just starting here.

Well it seems that the horse has been beaten enough so my only thing question now is: Did you ever do a follow up with the department?
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links