Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

This is a discussion on Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; was comming out of the Dollars store on New shackle island Rd,this evening about 5:00pm,after checking out, was met at the door by 2 Hendersonville ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

Had my first bad LEO experince today,in Hendersonville,Tn.

was comming out of the Dollars store on New shackle island Rd,this evening about 5:00pm,after checking out, was met at the door by 2 Hendersonville cops,snd 1 park officer.Before I came in the store,which I checked first,and was not marked as a no gun zone.I had a IWB holster anyway,but was hot and had taken off my top shirt, still had a t=shirt on,which shouldnt matter anyway,being this is a oipen carry state.

This Park officer,werring a yellow polo shirt,and shorts,see me come in,gets on the radio abd call the big boys(Hendersonville cops).So they stop me at door,ask me what im doing,I say shopping,he says with a uncovered gun,I said I didnt have to cover it,i have a permit...he says,its in your left back pocket right? I say yes,he says how are we going to get it out.I say you can take it out if you want.all this time, people are looking at me like im a theif that gought caught stealing,or breaking the law somehow,they have me in the middle of a triangle,3 against 1, 1 of my hands is holding my sack of items I purchaced,So the park patrol pulled my wallet out,hands it to me,then I hand them my HCP,while the young rookie calls it in,the other older,still lots younger than me,That officer,me asks me what schooll I went to,and what kind of stuff are they teaching us,he says,I know its leagal,but people get scared when they see civiallians wearing guns,im thinking to myself,well,thats there problem ,not mine, this officer IMO was clearly to, me one of those officers that think,no one should carry guns but cops.

Then it really got crazy,the rookie asked me if I was in any gangs,I told him I was too old for gangs,the only one I was in was my NRA card which was showing.Then he ask me my addy,which was on the permit,my SS# and my phone #,im wondering if this guy wants to date me or what???Then after all that they let me go,as im walking to my suv,Im hearing the park patrol.laughing telling these cops how as I came in he saw me and called them, for back up, Clearly sucking up to them,whishing he was a cop instead of a park patrol,they all thought it was cute but me,as soon as I got home,I called the store and talked to the mananger who knows me,sees,me in the store often and for years,said he didnt have anything do with it,it was the park patrol guy,The park patrol guy was telling me he use to be in a big gang called the army,now he in a gangfcalled cops,The park patrol sounded like a wannabee cop to me all that unnecessary garbage,trying to be a big man,where im a law abbiding citizen,trying to do some shoping and minding my own bussinness,while these guys are having a circle jerk around me, Joe Tax Payer, Thern after talking to the store manager,I called the police satation,but like everywhere else,hours from 8 till 5:00 pm so I left a message explaining my frustration about the way I was treated and the questions about gangs,phone numbers andf Social surcuity numbers, this cop can go open a credit card in my name now.They should of asked to see my permit....looked,called it in maybe, then thats then end, im a law abbiding citizen,and wont be treated without the respect I gave and deserve,until I give them a reason to act differently....ole Philip down at the Goodlesville Gun store said there were some LEO up here like that and...I just met some.....

2. Remove Ads

That's too bad. I guess even LEOs aren't all above being immature and picking on someone. Glad you were able to keep your cool.

Sounds like a 'Jellybean Park cop' needs a letter added to his file...might also want to make sure the other LEO's supervisor knows what they were involved in, too...not trying to get anyone in trouble, just trying to get them some 'extra education' in basic CCW laws.
    OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 28th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Someone correct me if im wrong, but there was no reason for them to ask for any more information than for your name and permit. Asking about your SS number is way off the wall and you had no requirement to answer.

Mitch,

You need to write this up on TGO (Tennessee Gun Owners) forum to alert others in the area. I live in Lafayette, Macon County and trade in Hendersonville a lot. I used to teach at Beech High School (retired in 2006)in Hendersonville. Both Hendersonville and Gallatin have some very young and cocky LEOs. Complaining to paper won't help, press in that area is Liberal and anti-gun. Both officers were definitely out of line but I am not sure you will get any satisfaction out of their department, but you can try. There is a real "us against them" mentality among younger officers in both PDs. The Sumner County Sheriff deputies ,on the other hand, tend to be pretty straight and pleasant guys, a real difference between authorities!

No problem with OC or CC in Macon County, all of the LEOs are friendly and understand the rules.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

First off, if you have a common name like John Smith, they were probably just wanting to distinguish you from the John Smith that robbed the liquor store last month. In my opinion, answer all questions presented by a LEO and be polite and respectful. You obviously were as you didn't end up in hand cuffs. We citizens that do carry must remember to cooperate with the LEO's when needed to show that we are not just idiots.
    It takes over 40 muscles to frown. But yet less than 10 to smack the hell outta who makes you frown. Work smarter, not harder......

got section 1983?? something similar to this http://www.georgiacarry.com/marta_raissi/complaint.pdf
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Ouch, I can't believe that! Be sure to file a complaint with the PD, and let us know how it turns out.
    Sig .40 P229 DAK
    XDM 9mm
    CrossBreed SuperTuck

youth equals insecure

i thought it was interesting, i deal with the g.g.s. also, just picked up a firestorm mini 45 last week, those guys are great, and him being an ex cop, he knows what he's talking about

Mitch, please do file a formal complaint with the Police Chief. If that gets you nowhere, then by all means, call the local paper, the TV and radio stations and get someone interested in covering this. You were treated very poorly by some cocky cops and one wanna-be cop.

Please follow up on this with us here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As much as I don't look forward to my first contact with LEO's I am to some degree.

I've already asked several LEO's about the best way to approach an encounter with a LEO. Each of these LEO's mentioned that it would put them at ease if I hand them my driver's license AND my concealed firearms permit. Then they will be asking for my vehicle registration & insurance card.

Despite the fact that Nevada law states that I MUST notify the LEO if my CFP permit is "requested", it would look much better if I provided my driver's license & my concealed firearms permit as the first two items I provide the LEO.

Any thoughts on this topic?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tn Mitch View Post
    I had a IWB holster anyway,but was hot and had taken off my top shirt, still had a t=shirt on,which shouldnt matter anyway,being this is a oipen carry state.

I understand what you're saying about taking off your top shirt and being in an open carry state. However it seems you were originally trying to carry concealed and decided to drop your cover. The result of that made your t-shirt inadequate in maintaining your concealed status and you made it easy for the park cop to spot you.

The fact that you are in an open carry state didn't stop the park cop for calling for backup to check you out, which they did, and yes, I agree the police were probably a little pushy.

Every method of carry is a big responsibility, and our actions reflect on all others who carry as well. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Good luck.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Mitch,

You need to write this up on TGO (Tennessee Gun Owners) forum to alert others in the area. I live in Lafayette, Macon County and trade in Hendersonville a lot. I used to teach at Beech High School (retired in 2006)in Hendersonville. Both Hendersonville and Gallatin have some very young and cocky LEOs. Complaining to paper won't help, press in that area is Liberal and anti-gun. Both officers were definitely out of line but I am not sure you will get any satisfaction out of their department, but you can try. There is a real "us against them" mentality among younger officers in both PDs. The Sumner County Sheriff deputies ,on the other hand, tend to be pretty straight and pleasant guys, a real difference between authorities!

No problem with OC or CC in Macon County, all of the LEOs are friendly and understand the rules.
    Yes I posted it over at TGO,and others said that they had been treated the same way here.I agree that the summner county sherrifs dept guys are alot nicer and more mature,than the young guys we have here,I guess you have a few everywhere you go,Im the type of person,that if im in the wrong,im man enough to admit it,but dont try to give me a hard time when I havent done anything wrong,thats what gets me,and we all should show recpect for each other ,badge or not,these sheep,have some of these guys thinking they are Gods or something.kissing there butts.Its my right in this state to open carry.I had a IWB holster on.but left my cover shirt in car,because It had warmed up,but hey,it shouldnt matter,the Park patrol guy was just bored,and thought it would liven up his day for him and his buddy cops to get a kick outta harassing me,to take up time on their shift.They better get use to seeing my guns,because this doesent change a thing,as far as im concerened,I told that LEO that I wasent breaking any laws,and he agreed,but said it sometimes scared people,well,I guess they shouldnt look,if we are ever going to get anywhere,we have to show the pubic,in force,that we citizens can carry,without shooting the place up when we go shopping in a store or a partk,or anywhere else.As long as we keep hiding it,like the LEOS want,they want to be the saviors,well they are when it comes to trying to stop bad guys,but they cant be everywhere,I am responable for my own protection,to a certant extent,itll never change in my life time. LEO dont want to see any guns on anyone but LEOS.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I understand what you're saying about taking off your top shirt and being in an open carry state. However it seems you were originally trying to carry concealed and decided to drop your cover. The result of that made your t-shirt inadequate in maintaining your concealed status and you made it easy for the park cop to spot you.

The fact that you are in an open carry state didn't stop the park cop for calling for backup to check you out, which they did, and yes, I agree the police were probably a little pushy.

Every method of carry is a big responsibility, and our actions reflect on all others who carry as well. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Good luck.
    I was wearing a new Milt Sparks holster,that I had gotten thre day before in the mail,I wanted to break her in and I didnt want to get my shinly S&W 1911 ss all wet because it had been raining off and on,you know the suns out,then it rains for 10 minuites,then the suns back out kinda days.The anti-gunner people will allways keep it this way,if nothing else but to harress people to not carry...thats there point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Mitch, please do file a formal complaint with the Police Chief. If that gets you nowhere, then by all means, call the local paper, the TV and radio stations and get someone interested in covering this. You were treated very poorly by some cocky cops and one wanna-be cop.

Please follow up on this with us here.
    Hey Mike,hows it going,I was warned from people that this was a ungun freindly town,unless you were a LEO,Ive had several of them see me carrying,in stores,it was this park patrol guy who, caused all this.I called the police Dept. when I got home because I was still pissed,and got a recourding.I left a short message,and my addy and Phone,#and told them id appracaite a call explaining the treatment I recieved,but this is a small town,with mostly young cops, im not sure that anything will change,and I dont want every cop in this town,following me around,waiting for me to make a mistake driving,so they can make my life a living hell.The law and numbers are all on there side,its different in this part of the state,believe me.Good hearing from ya, if I get a call,which I doubt,ill post about it here........Im still gonna open carry,when it suits me....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links