1st time open carry - Page 3

1st time open carry

This is a discussion on 1st time open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tubby45. You said it all. Thank you....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st time open carry

Tubby45. You said it all. Thank you.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Posted it here before, but here it is again in case you missed it.
    I am puzzled as to why it is against forum rules to debate the erroneous conclusions you draw but it is fine to post the excuses some use for open carry.

It is not my intention to debate the merits of open carry vs. concealed carry. I open carry myself sometimes. My question, which curiously made some people's blood boil, concerned the pride some exhibit and Glock30Owner answered for himself. I respect that.

For me, I am no more proud of wearing a gun than wearing a pair of socks. I don't see any connection between carrying a gun and patriotism. I certainly don't think somene who does not carry a gun is any less patriotic.

Isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins?

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am puzzled as to why it is against forum rules to debate the erroneous conclusions you draw but it is fine to post the excuses some use for open carry.

It is not my intention to debate the merits of open carry vs. concealed carry. I open carry myself sometimes. My question, which curiously made some people's blood boil, concerned the pride some exhibit and Glock30Owner answered for himself. I respect that.

For me, I am no more proud of wearing a gun than wearing a pair of socks. I don't see any connection between carrying a gun and patriotism. I certainly don't think somene who does not carry a gun is any less patriotic.

I CC or OC because I am licensed to CC and my state allows OC. I carry because I refuse to be a victim. I OC because the local LEO's asked for more people to OC. I mostly CC, but not afraid to OC.

I believe OC is a Constitutional guaranteed right.

And I proud?? You bet, I'm proud to be an American, let me rephrase I'm proud to be an armed American.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Excuses to oc

maybe the last post I made was a little misleading, but OC is my right and I need NO excuses to do so. Am I proud to exercise the rights I have that are protected by the US and my states constitutions YES. Do I wish more people would exercise those rights you bet ya, is it their choice to exercise them or not yes it is, but I wish more made the choice than just following the herd and believing misinformation.

If you believe in that garbage.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

it's funny how you claim it's not your intent to debate OC v. CC, yet here you are, constantly doing it.

my better half doesn't care for open carry, which is fine. i do my thing, she does hers. still, she doesn't feel the need to go into an open carry forum and nag me about it either. your posts curiously seem like attempts to have threads locked. forgive me if i'm wrong.

the concealed carry forum is just down the hall, right past the water fountain. feel free to pull up a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    Maybe I can help you to understand, a little (if only from my personal perspective).

When I OC, I have a similar feeling of pride as when I took my oath upon joining the Army. A similar sort of pride that I get every time I vote. A similar type of pride that I feel when I sing the "Star Spangled Banner". To me, it is the pride of patriotism and pride that I live in (what I consider) the greatest country on the planet.

I do OC for the same reasons you CC (protection of self and family), but I also add in a number of reasons (none really more important than the others). I OC as a political statement (because I feel it is important) and to exercise my personal liberties. I OC to educate the public, most who notice my firearm are actually interested in carry laws in TN. I also OC to deter, I believe as strongly that OC's deterrence is a tactical advantage as those that believe surprise is a tactical advantage.

I hope that this helps you to understand, a little. We don't have to agree, but we need not be enemies.
    Good response. I don't OC, since I'm still brand new at trying the CC thing, but I could see myself trying OC at some point in the future, if only for some of the "additional" reasons that you mentioned above.

The most important reason to OC, in my mind, is that it is an exercise of a right as wel as a display/statement of support of that right. If we don't exercise it, why do we need it? There are many who would love to take the right away, so let's defend and support it.

To me, I don't care if you're a strict CC'r. You should be applauding and encouraging the one's that have the courage to OC.

If people in your own town were accustomed to seeing OC, they would have less fear of gun owners, as they'd see them doing normal, everyday things (like shopping and getting gas, walking in a park with family and friends), and wouldn't have reason to vilify us (as gunowners in general). Perhaps seeing OC will encourage others to think about the role of a firearm in their own (and their family's) protection when they're out and about.

Props to the OC'rs here..I find you guys to be an inspiring breed of patriots. Props to the CC'rs for the same. I hope we can band together instead of being divided, and support the exercise of all healthy gun rights.
    Last edited by coltrane59; April 9th, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    I opened carried most of my life as a cop but as you can see from the story below never as a civilian. I am overly conscious of the gun to, and as you said it feels like your walking around in your underwear

Hi, I'm here in Arizona and I am very much the concealed carry person. BUT, I have been entertaining the idea of open carry for the fact of showing I carry and am proud of it. A couple of days ago I met a fellow gun owner at a gas station to buy some Speer Goldot Short Barrelled ammo for my .45. I had contacted him through an ad he had on backpage.com

He was open carrying a S&W .44 magnum in a leather holster. He said he was waiting for his CCW. Since that encounter I have started open carrying. I live and work here in Phoenix, which is the 5th largest city in the US.

NOBODY has said ANYTHING about the open carry, except my neighbor who started talking about his own 9mm.

I am going to keep trying this from time to time and see how it goes, but so far nobody in this big city seems to care.
    Well it has been 5 days now and I have been open carrying in the big city of Phoenix in 2 banks, a QuickTrip, A veterinarian's office (my dog got injured), of course 2 walmarts , a Petsmart, and various fast food. Guess what? Nothing, nada, zip, nobody said anything. Most people smiled and were very pleasant. One lady asked her young son to open the door for me at the vets office when I was leaving with my hands full.

Overall I'm surprised and pleased to see the positive reactions of everyone that realized I was carrying. And actually it felt more comfortable and natural than CC. Weird huh.

Well it has been 5 days now and I have been open carrying in the big city of Phoenix in 2 banks, a QuickTrip, A veterinarian's office (my dog got injured), of course 2 walmarts , a Petsmart, and various fast food. Guess what? Nothing, nada, zip, nobody said anything. Most people smiled and were very pleasant. One lady asked her young son to open the door for me at the vets office when I was leaving with my hands full.

Overall I'm surprised and pleased to see the positive reactions of everyone that realized I was carrying. And actually it felt more comfortable and natural than CC. Weird huh.
    OMG!!! you mean that you didn't become a target for the BGs? no one freaked out and begged you not to kill them? unfrigginbelievable.

welcome to the mundane world of open carry. get a holster with a retention device, get some retention/force-on-force training, and go on about your day to day life.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Way to go Chroode!!! I'm am glad you had a pleasant OC experience.

I flew in from an out of town business trip last night, strapped on my G 27 and took my wife and daughters to the same Chinese restaurant as in my original post. More people there last night than last time. Yeah, people looked, but no one gasped, shielded their children from me, or made a mad dash for the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Posted it here before, but here it is again in case you missed it.
    Thank you for posting that. You have presented a number of considerations that I had not heard of before!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links