1st time open carry

1st time open carry

This is a discussion on 1st time open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I followed TN_Mike's lead this week and for the 1st time "open-carried" my Glock 27 in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake holster. Wednesday night ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time open carry

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

1st time open carry

I followed TN_Mike's lead this week and for the 1st time "open-carried" my Glock 27 in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake holster.
    Wednesday night my wife, daughter and I ate dinner at a local Chinese restaurant, (that serves NO alcohol ) and afterward I went to Walmart to pick up a few things. No one in the restaurant, including the owner, seemed to notice or care and I saw only a few folks at Walmart that seemed to glance at my side as I passed them. I was a LOT more conscious of me carrying out in the open than anyone else seemed to be. I have always been comfortable carrying concealed even if it was very noticable under an untucked shirt, but I was a little uncomfortable wearing my Glock totally exposed. I felt like I was walking around in public with just my boxers on.
    Now before you start giving me all the reasons why open carry is not a good idea, consider this...it is perfectly legal in Tennessee, I don't do it on a regular basis, and my son-in-law is one of Collierville's finest, so I know quite a few members of the local PD.
    Anyone else have a similiar experience?
    Last edited by orangevol; April 3rd, 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: corrected mis-spelling

No OC experience here, but I will be traveing north this summer again. I have wondered about those states where OC is allowed...I would feel funny about not keeping it concealed for several reasons.
    Here in FL where OC is not legal, I have grown accustomed to it and would be curious as to the acceptance of OC when 'in Rome'...so to speak...
    Where legal, I would probably try it, or at least not worry about the wind blowing up the print shirt...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry openly almost every day.

Most every experience isn't worth writing about. I get the occasional "Is that real? (yeah) Is it loaded?? (doesn't do much good if it isn't!)" Or the "Is that thing a tazer?! (uh, no)" but otherwise no one bats an eye.

I open carry in the Chattanooga, TN and North West Georgia - so far with no issues. No looks that I have noticed. Carrying in TN has become a hassle with disarming before eating. Most restuarants serve at least beer. I hate the ones that do not have a beer sign - you get in and realize they serve. You guys in TN need to get this changed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No OC experience here, but I will be traveing north this summer again. I have wondered about those states where OC is allowed...
    Stop up in PA and you can open carry unless you're in Philly, then you'd need a permit.

The first time you OC you always think people will make a big deal about it. If you can OC in your state try OC once in awhile. Once you get over the initial concerns over open carry it only gets easier. I carry everyday to & from work. When I'm at work I secure my G26 in a lock box under my pickup truck seat.

I always make a point of stopping in at fast food restaurants, Wal Marts, etc. No one has ever raised an issue with my OC on a daily basis. It's something that you adjust too.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Been in Arizona less than a year and I saw my first open carrier 2 days ago. Was browsing the empty shelves at Sportsman's and saw young fella with jeans, buttondown shirt, cowboy hat....and a handgun on his hip in a ballistic nylon holster with thumb break. Took me aback for a second b/c this was the first time I've seen a 'civvie' OC. Wanted to go up to him and say "good for you!"

Although perfectly legal in here, I couldn't do it. Already self-conscious about printing under my jacket
    HK45c V1

Ya im not one for open carry. I like to surprise the bg's lol
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I'd be self-conscious as well. We can OC here in NH, but I don't remember ever seeing it in my 26 years living here. I'm not sure I could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Stop up in PA and you can open carry unless you're in Philly, then you'd need a permit.
    since PA recognizes FL's permit, he can OC in Philly. i wouldn't suggest it, though; Philly cops like to "detain" and harass people who OC.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Sounds like another successful OC experience!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I followed TN_Mike's lead this week and for the 1st time "open-carried" my Glock 27 in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake holster.
    Wednesday night my wife, daughter and I ate dinner at a local Chinese restaurant, (that serves NO alcohol ) and afterward I went to Walmart to pick up a few things. No one in the restaurant, including the owner, seemed to notice or care and I saw only a few folks at Walmart that seemed to glance at my side as I passed them. I was a LOT more conscious of me carrying out in the open than anyone else seemed to be. I have always been comfortable carrying concealed even if it was very noticable under an untucked shirt, but I was a little uncomfortable wearing my Glock totally exposed. I felt like I was walking around in public with just my boxers on.
    Now before you start giving me all the reasons why open carry is not a good idea, consider this...it is perfectly legal in Tennessee, I don't do it on a regular basis, and my son-in-law is one of Collierville's finest, so I know quite a few members of the local PD.
    If you plan a trip to Nashville, drop me a note and we could OC together. That may help in overcoming the uneasiness.

I'm lucky in that as an armed guard, I can OC at work. That additional time each day sure helped me get over the "all eyes on me" feeling very quickly.

I followed TN_Mike's lead this week and for the 1st time "open-carried" my Glock 27 in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake holster. I was a LOT more conscious of me carrying out in the open than anyone else seemed to be. I have always been comfortable carrying concealed even if it was very noticable under an untucked shirt, but I was a little uncomfortable wearing my Glock totally exposed. I felt like I was walking around in public with just my boxers on.
    I opened carried most of my life as a cop but as you can see from the story below never as a civilian. I am overly conscious of the gun to, and as you said it feels like your walking around in your underwear

Hi, I'm here in Arizona and I am very much the concealed carry person. BUT, I have been entertaining the idea of open carry for the fact of showing I carry and am proud of it. A couple of days ago I met a fellow gun owner at a gas station to buy some Speer Goldot Short Barrelled ammo for my .45. I had contacted him through an ad he had on backpage.com

He was open carrying a S&W .44 magnum in a leather holster. He said he was waiting for his CCW. Since that encounter I have started open carrying. I live and work here in Phoenix, which is the 5th largest city in the US.

NOBODY has said ANYTHING about the open carry, except my neighbor who started talking about his own 9mm.

I am going to keep trying this from time to time and see how it goes, but so far nobody in this big city seems to care.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Open carry is one of those things that the first time you do it, you think "everyone in the world is starring at me"...

After some time though, you realize the are so involved in their lives and what they are doing that they don't even notice, and when they do they dont care.

Think back to the first time you concealed. You had that feeling that everyone in the world was watching you and knew you had a gun. After a while you got comfortable with it... the same goes for open carry.

Enjoy it.

CONGRATS! And welcome to the OC "club" orangevol! Maybe we should get our families together some time for an open carry day. I am just up the road in Arlington after all.

You experienced much the same thing I do every time I oc. A big non-event. Well done.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links