OK Who OC's in NC?

This is a discussion on OK Who OC's in NC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bunny I thought I couldn't own w/o a purchase permit? (Well, it's not like anyone's gonna GIVE me one, I had to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK Who OC's in NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I thought I couldn't own w/o a purchase permit? (Well, it's not like anyone's gonna GIVE me one, I had to buy one, so it's moot, I guess.) I knew OC was legal here though. I'm just too scaredy-cat to try it. At least on my own.
    NC law requires a purchase permit for any exchange of handgun between a business and purchaser, or any private transfer (sale or not). Of course failing to comply with the law puts the penalty on the seller (or giver) not the transferee. No permit is required to own a handgun. For instance, if someone moves to North Carolina from Virginia, there is no requirement that the new NC resident obtain a purchase permit for all the handguns he or she owns.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Right, sorry, let me clarify (IronMike told me my post was confusing)

*I* can not own a handgun unless I buy one. I didn't previously own one, no one bequeathed me one, I haven't won one yet, and I can't seem to find any just lying around...so I have to buy one.

Since I live where I do, in order to buy one, I have to get a purchase permit.

Once I own one, then technically (duh) I will have one in my possession and therefore may carry. In NC, since we have open carry, that's my only option until the CC paperwork comes through.

I meant my situation in particular, not as a general NC resident rule or anything. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I know you don't need a permit to own, but since I need to buy to own and need a permit to buy, it works out that I need a permit before I can own. Again, sorry for not being clear :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

What am I missing here. You mean if I want to buy a handgun in NC The state has to give me permission to buy one? WTH is that all about?

Who signs your permission slip? What does it say? Mrs Bunny has my permission to buy a gun today?

That is crapola....
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I had to get a purchase permit from MCSO.

It basically says "I, Sheriff blah blah...find this applicant not to be in violation of anything in state law by having her buy/own a gun, blah blah...demonstrated to be of good moral character, blah...signed this day, yadda yadda."

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Here, straight from the website of Meck Co. SO:

General Information

Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used. Generally, laws require the following:

Permits to buy handguns in North Carolina can be obtained from the county sheriff (or, in 10 counties, the clerk of superior court). In Mecklenburg County it is the Sheriff's Office.

The office hours to fill out a handgun purchase permit are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Cost is $5.00.

Anyone wishing to use the service should come to the Gun Permits Bureau Office which is located at 715 E. Fourth St., Suite 200. The building is across the street from the current Criminal Courthouse and behind the historic Mecklenburg County Courthouse, slightly below street level.

Guns must be carried in plain view. Guns must not be carried in a pocket, purse, under a car seat or in any other concealed manner unless you have a concealed handgun permit.

The North Carolina General Assembly enacted a concealed handgun law that allows qualifying citizens of North Carolina the opportunity to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun. This law became effective on December 1, 1995, and requires that the permit be secured from the sheriff of the permit holder's county of residence.

Gaining competency with firearms is like learning to drive a car or fly an airplane. You need expert instruction and practice. There is no shortcut. If you are not willing to invest the time and effort to become competent, then having a firearm and trying to use it can, in many instances, be more hazardous than any impending threat.

Storage of firearms and ammunition presents a unique responsibility. Children may see weapons as toys, and thieves view them as a tool for crime or an item that can be sold for quick profit. Keep all firearms locked away in a secure place.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Handgun Purchase Permit Requirements

Applicant must:

* be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or a resident alien;
    * be twenty-one (21) years of age;
    * have attained at least one month's residency in Mecklenburg County;
    * provide a valid driver's license or other picture ID with current address provided by the state of North Carolina.

A criminal background check must be performed before granting of permit.

Permit to purchase a handgun costs five dollars ($5.00).

Permit to purchase a handgun is valid for a period of five (5) years from date of issue.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Live in busy Wake County and don't OC - too much potential for weirdness. Prefer to keep it concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    What am I missing here. You mean if I want to buy a handgun in NC The state has to give me permission to buy one? WTH is that all about?

Who signs your permission slip? What does it say? Mrs Bunny has my permission to buy a gun today?

That is crapola....
    In NC one either has to have a handgun purchase permit or a concealed handgun license to purchase (or otherwise come into ownership of) a handgun. The sheriff of one's county of residence issues the purchase permit. Different sheriff's have different hoops one has to jump through to get the purchase permit. The carry permit has uniform requirements statewide. In some counties its easier to get a CHL than a purchase permit.

Yes, its stupid. Its a Jim Crow era law that the gun banners like to pretend is not based in racism.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Been in NC. for 3 years now and have only seen 1 OC. (Salisbury Area)!!!!
    Would think most people CC these days........IMO.

...Nevermind
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

I actually caught a couple of business type guys walking downtown in front of Capital Grille OC'ing last night. I was kind of shocked really.

I get my purchase permit next week and I can pick up my gun.

I just can't see myself OC'ing in Charlotte as I imagine it would take all of 20 minutes for someone to call the cops about me.

Well, looks like I do now. For the meantime.

I have a dog training client at an outdoor shopping area in Huntersville this afternoon, and then a meeting up in Troutman, so I will be OCing to both. So far, so good. Though I may soil myself if someone calls the cops on me. (It's a scary thought, and I'm a little intimidated by law enforcement.)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post

That is crapola....
    You nailed it, crapola
    The ATF comes into the local gun shows in NC.and try to
    sell and buy pistols to/from unpermitted people , basically setting them
    up to arrest them.
    If I buy a gun from an individual he has to keep my permit
    for the rest of his life to give to the ATF so if his old gun
    turns up in a crime to prove it was legal transfer.
    because of this I only deal with gunshops
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links