Drop the Ar off Arkansas....question for the KS members

This is a discussion on Drop the Ar off Arkansas....question for the KS members within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, some of you may know that moving to Kansas has become a possibility for me. I posted this question over at opencarry.org as well, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop the Ar off Arkansas....question for the KS members

Drop the Ar off Arkansas....question for the KS members

Well, some of you may know that moving to Kansas has become a possibility for me. I posted this question over at opencarry.org as well, and I also realize that some locations around the KC area are off limits, and some are okay with open carry.
    Well, here's the deal. I've had my Arkansas CHL for 8+ years as if that matters. Kansas recognizes my permit for CC. The girlfriend and I may be moving to the KC area this summer. Olathe, Lawrence, etc. I understand that I must be a resident for six months before I could apply for a Kansas permit, and if the laws don't change, my Arkansas permit should suffice through that period of time. Now...the open carry deal......can I do this in Kansas before I get my Kansas permit with my out of state Arkansas permit for CC? Any links would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry Ramrod, you get to spend six months butt nekkid in Kansas. We do not honor a nonresident permit, so you have to start residency here, making you AR permit void. And open carry while legal some places, isn't a reality.

In Kansas, the AG's office is in charge of CHL, here is the link.
    Office of the Kansas Attorney General - Concealed Carry

Suck it up, get a KS drivers license day one to start the residency clock, take your KS class, get your photos and application ready, and you should be able to carry again in less than six months.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

That was fast! Kansas recognizes my Arkansas permit for CC and so does MO. I was there last weekend asserting my rights and privileges granted to me. I'd rather not go without. I may have to just visit for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That was fast! Kansas recognizes my Arkansas permit for CC and so does MO. I was there last weekend asserting my rights and privileges granted to me. I'd rather not go without. I may have to just visit for a very long time.
    I think what he was getting at is that your residency starts after you get your Ks. DL,It's like a catch 22 most states require you get a new license within 30 days of relocating IIRC,so they may question why you didn't get your license changed within the time frame,on the other hand I believe that a Home/Apartment Lease ,water bill electric/gas bill in your name showing the start date etc. should be enough to show residency,I know in Tx IIRC they have a 6 mth requirement but they don't enforce it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Sorry Ramrod, you get to spend six months butt nekkid in Kansas. We do not honor a nonresident permit, so you have to start residency here, making you AR permit void. And open carry while legal some places, isn't a reality.
    I think you might confuse some with this statement. They way I read it...KS does honor some non-resident licenses (such as OK), as long as you do not live in KS (the diconomy of it all). If you live in KS...you must get a KS license.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, some of you may know that moving to Kansas has become a possibility for me. I posted this question over at opencarry.org as well, and I also realize that some locations around the KC area are off limits, and some are okay with open carry...

Now...the open carry deal......can I do this in Kansas before I get my Kansas permit with my out of state Arkansas permit for CC?
    Where open carry is legal for Kansas residents, it's legal for non-residents---no permit required.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think you might confuse some with this statement. They way I read it...KS does honor some non-resident licenses (such as OK), as long as you do not live in KS (the diconomy of it all). If you live in KS...you must get a KS license.

Rick
    You have to be a resident of the state whose permit they honor,if you live in massachusetts and have a Texas non resident CHL you cannot carry in Ks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You have to be a resident of the state whose permit they honor,if you live in massachusetts and have a Texas non resident CHL you cannot carry in Ks
    True dat...

Rick

Ramrod:
    Sorry, but you're basically out of luck for about 8 months. To establish residency, you'll want to get a Kansas DL. It will be 6 months before you can even apply for a CCH and then a minimum of 45 days before you actually get a license. Once you establish residency by getting a KS DL, your Arkansas permit will no longer be valid. In the meantime, there is no state preemption for open carry so several cities have laws against it. Plus, I've lived around the sticks of SE Kansas my entire life and I've never seen anyone OC that wasn't LE or actively engaged in hunting/fishing. In those cities that have laws against OC, you can't even have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. It's definitely a catch 22, but I see no way around it. The only thing you can do is get your class out of the way so that as soon as you meet the residency requirement, you can get your application in.

p.s. If you haven't already, you may want to check out Kansas Concealed Carry.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Depending how far you need to drive to work, Olathe, KS is just over the border from MO. MO CHL is accepted in many more states than KS.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Ramrod, I think ya'll need to do as you said in a previous post. Remain with all the rest of us hogs, and keep your Arkansas residency, while visiting KS. I think as long as you have a "base address" of some sorts in AR, then you'd be valid, in KS, as a visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Where open carry is legal for Kansas residents, it's legal for non-residents---no permit required.
    Now that is interesting. Thanks everyone thus far, and for the links. I see several options here....all legal.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

Rick
    No KS does not honor ANY non resident CHL.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    No KS does not honor ANY non resident CHL.
    To clarify further, Kansas does honor several other state's cch licenses but you must be a resident of the state that issued the license. For instance, if you are a Missouri resident and have a Missouri license, Kansas honors your license. If you are a Missouri resident and the only license you have is from Florida, Kansas will NOT honor your Florida license as you are not a resident of Florida. Clear as mud?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    To clarify further, Kansas does honor several other state's cch licenses but you must be a resident of the state that issued the license. For instance, if you are a Missouri resident and have a Missouri license, Kansas honors your license. If you are a Missouri resident and the only license you have is from Florida, Kansas will NOT honor your Florida license as you are not a resident of Florida. Clear as mud?

Hoss
    That is exactly what happened to me when I moved here from Florida. One day I could carry with my FL permit, the next day I became a resident of KS and could not. I contacted the AG and he pretty much said, yeah, that's the way it works, nothing can be done about it.

I don't really know much about open carry, except that you can't do it in my county.

I have talked to several of the people who helped draft the KS concealed carry laws (one is a former legislator), and a couple of current legislators whom I know. They admit that it was an oversight in drafting the law, but with the difficulty they had getting it done in the first place, I can see how they might have overlooked this issue. One newly elected legislator I know was willing to propose a change, until we found out that the people who worked so hard to get hsi thing done are absolutely against doing so right now. I backed off and apologized for causing trouble once I found out what was potentially at stake.

As I understand it, to fix the law by adding an amendment like the one in Colorado, would be another major battle against the antis that they don't want to have to fight right now. I suggested an amendment to the newly elected legislator I know based on Colorado's language, but soon realized that no one wants to go there at this point for good reason.

If the law is opened up for amendment, it must be opened to all amendments, therefore the antis will have a chance to attack it and try to weaken it. In other words, they don't see the need to open that can of worms as of yet, with the whole idea being somewhat new here. Luckily, I found out this info and got my legislator friend to not even bring it up before we made a bunch of enemies out of his potentially friendly pro-gun colleagues. That saved us both a bit of embarassment to say the least. I also learned to consult with the experts on our side first from now on before making any stupid moves.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links