First experience open carry, probably the last - Page 3

First experience open carry, probably the last

This is a discussion on First experience open carry, probably the last within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zigziggityzo It's an abuse of power under color of law charge. A federal offense. Not only could the cop get prison time, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    It's an abuse of power under color of law charge. A federal offense. Not only could the cop get prison time, he'll lose his job and the city he works for can go broke over it.

Opinions stating "should have concealed" are not necessary. I personally don't care what your opinion is.

Fact is, he open carried. And this is an Open Carry forum. Thanks.

Unfortunately, cops abuse their power a lot, and they're not called out for it enough. Whether or not he should have carried in a way you prefer, the officer in question still abused his power to enforce his opinion and not the law. Not only that, he used excessive force where no criminal activity was present.

Why do you all simply overlook this fact?
    I made it this far and agree!!
    It's tough times for everyone,I would stimulate a lawyers acct for a little of nothing to sue!!
    I would write (LOL) Someone would write a letter to the Chief and Mayor.
    I hate bullies that think their above the law.....push back!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    MN is a licensed OC state, correct?

I'd have to follow up on that one officially. Completely uncalled for and unprofessional. I hope you have the names of the officers involved.

Of course, it never would have happened had you been cc'ing......

Sorry, someone had to say it!

I've stopped posting here more or less for this reason. The more I read about encounters between law enforcement and the law-abiding public, or between suspicious law-breakers and law-abiding citizens, the more disgusted and fed-up with the general population of this forum.

It seems most people not only take the "it's your fault for being in that situation" stance, they take it PROUDLY, as is evidenced in this poster's statement. S/he seems to think they are somehow clever for pointing out that if the protagonist were cravenly stashing his weapon in a pocket or a CC holster, he would be much the wiser.

There was another post a while back about a gentleman who drew his weapon on a guy who appeared to be strangling a young woman in the parking lot of his gun store. The response was similar: it's your fault for being in that situation, how dare you draw a weapon, etc. etc.

In this country, we have a RIGHT to arm ourselves, we have a RIGHT to protect ourselves and our families, and we have a RESPONSIBILITY to protect the lives and safety of those around us, in the hope that they will do the same for us when push comes to shove.

The fellow who was violated by the police officers in question is, in my eyes, a hero, because he stood up for his rights. I hope he sues these officers. That's what it would amount to, by the way: suing them as private citizens, because they violated the law while pretending to act in accordance with it and flashing their badges around.

I caution you, however: if you do sue them and get them fined, demoted, or kicked out of the force, you may find yourself the victim of retribution both from them or from the rest of their buddies at the police force. As such, if you pursue anything, make sure you never go unarmed again. I would hate to see harm come to you as the result of police corruption.

This will be the last time I ever come to this forum though, because there's simply no support for people exercising their rights and way too much cowardly, craven behavior. CCing is all fine and good if that's what you WANT to do, but if you WANT to OC and you get crap from the cops for doing what is LEGAL, the folks at defensivecarry.com should be the last people on earth to give you crap about it.

I say this not because I am some high-profile poster that people will be heart-broken to lose. I am simply letting the people reading know that I am a member of the forum, I do read, I post occasionally, and I won't be doing so anymore. If I am the only one who feels this way, then you may all click your heels and rejoice in your new-forged unity. If, however, I am one of many, as I suspect I am, who is annoyed by this trend in forum-wide behavior, then perhaps it will give people pause for thought about what the Constitution says.

Good day, and God bless you,
    David Stratton

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 View Post
    It seems most people not only take the "it's your fault for being in that situation" stance, they take it PROUDLY, as is evidenced in this poster's statement. S/he seems to think they are somehow clever for pointing out that if the protagonist were cravenly stashing his weapon in a pocket or a CC holster, he would be much the wiser.
    I wasn't going to comment until this poster accused the majority of this forum, dedicated to concealed carry, of being craven. Just for clarification, the word craven means cowardly or contemptibly fainthearted.

Notwithstanding the tactical advantages of concealed carry, which we cannot discuss, the fact is that those who choose to open carry should be aware that their day might be negatvely affected despite that it is not illegal in certain jurisdictions.

By the way, David in Fl responded that it was an attempt at humor, though I will simply say that many confrontations can be easily eliminated. Some enjoy the confrontation and the chance of becoming rich by suing. Others just want to protect themselves and their familiy while going about their day.

This will be the last time I ever come to this forum though, because there's simply no support for people exercising their rights and way too much cowardly, craven behavior.
    Bye, bye. You won't be missed.

By the way, is it craven of you to slink away after making a defamatory accusation or hypocritical if you come back and respond?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    That's why I have Pre-Paid Legal
    I can call an attorney 24/7. SWHTF!

To 1John5vs7 - I can't say that I blame you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 View Post

I caution you, however: if you do sue them and get them fined, demoted, or kicked out of the force, you may find yourself the victim of retribution both from them or from the rest of their buddies at the police force. As such, if you pursue anything, make sure you never go unarmed again. I would hate to see harm come to you as the result of police corruption.
    Then you document the retribution and sue them again and again and again as well as making the case VERY PUBLIC.

By allowing ourselves (in any situation not just OC) to live in fear, especially fear of those who are sworn to "serve and protect"; we have lost. Lost utterly and completely.

I think the saying goes, "All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." As such, I have a difficult time doing nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lock View Post

Cliff notes:

3: The Female officer frisked me and took my wallet out of my pocket and proceeded to go though it. -Isn’t this America? Plus my fiancée was pretty jealous.

Is this standard procedure for someone who is open carrying?
    No, this is no longer America. We are quickly becoming Amerika. Our Gestapo units are out of control in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    The state of LA has open carry laws that allow the common citizen to carry open, but don't try it! You will go to jail!
    It needs to be fought. I am not a real proponent of open carry, but, if its legal where you live and you want to fight for that right, then jail may be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fartknocker View Post
    Yep! Technically it could be like the wild west here...and it would be legal. But I have yet to see someone open carry in plain clothes. I am tempted to on a daily basis...but I figure its not worth the hassle.....which is a true shame. So I just keep it concealed.
    It is a shame for sure. So many are too afraid to fight for what they believe in and what is allowed by law.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

It is a shame for sure. So many are too afraid to fight for what they believe in and what is allowed by law.
    It takes too much money and time to fight it alone. Until the masses band together a sole attempt will be futile.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    MN is a licensed OC state, correct?

I'd have to follow up on that one officially. Completely uncalled for and unprofessional. I hope you have the names of the officers involved.

Of course, it never would have happened had you been cc'ing......

Sorry, someone had to say it!
    Wouldn't have happened if he hadnt been OC'ing?? So I guess they should make it ilegal?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Senior Moderator
    I for one can not afford a drawn out legal battle, and that is what I tell everyone in Alabama to be prepared for if they open carry.

Some localities will not bat an eye if you walk downtown with a 1911 on your hip.

Others you'll be kissing the sidewalk with a GLOCK Q-tip.

If you are willing to fight the battle I will cheer for you, but this is one battle I can not afford to fight.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Minnesota issues a carry permit, the carry can be open OR concealed and both are perfectly legal.
    If legal to carry in the manner you did, then you WERE illegally harassed. If you want this sort of behavior changed, you've got to make the leadership at law enforcement take notice of that sort of treatment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I wasn't going to comment until this poster accused the majority of this forum, dedicated to concealed carry, of being craven.
    i'm sorry, i thought the forum was dedicated to defensive carry.

to the OP, stop posting here, and contact a lawyer, ASAP. being detained and disarmed is bad enough, and is unacceptable. having a gun drawn on you? that is insanity. get legal counsel, now.

His State

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    His location is MN = Minnesota, isn't it?
    When I first read his reply the only information I had was that his location was: Midwest. That's not very precise for an accurate reply from our members.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Guy in Norfolk, VA had same run in as you did except he got arrested twice. End result.... he filed suit against city and PD, got $10,000 and $15,000 respectively.

Sit down with a pro-gun attorney - there is a list of them in here, or you may surf the net and find them. It may or it may not cost you a penny - the attorney could work a deal with you to get 33% of whatever you get + court cost (you could en up getting like 55% of whatever sum you are awarded by the court).

This LE modus operandi will continue unless citizens hurtem where it hurts - their (city/PD) budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'm sorry, i thought the forum was dedicated to defensive carry.
    No need to apologize ... to him or anyone else. It IS about carrying defensively, any any legal manner.

OP: If you're game, I'm sure that more than one attorney would like to speak with you. NOBODY needs to put up with the heavy-handed and illegal horsepuckey that is being ramrodded down the throats of upstanding citizens, these days. Nobody. And, yes, it will not stop until it's stopped. Send the criminals to jail ... wallet first.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links