First experience open carry, probably the last

This is a discussion on First experience open carry, probably the last within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 It seems most people not only take the "it's your fault for being in that situation" stance, they take it PROUDLY, ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First experience open carry, probably the last

Quote Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 View Post
    It seems most people not only take the "it's your fault for being in that situation" stance, they take it PROUDLY, as is evidenced in this poster's statement.
    It's a simple matter of fact that a sheep who is fearful of the mere sight of a firearm will not be fearful if it cannot be seen. It should be one consideration for folks when heated response is what we're getting, when out and about (carrying).

To point out what should be obvious isn't a crime, nor should it even be lambasted as a prideful swat at others. It is what it is. So is biased, heavy-handed policing in places where law enforcement hates the concept of armed citizens. You want to avoid harassment, in such places? About the only way to avoid it is to pick one of two paths: (a) short term, fly under the radar; or (b) long-term, fight back when harassed, via the courts.

To my way of thinking, the poster was simply reminding folks that using your brain to find the path of least resistance isn't always a bad thing. In places where heavy-handed policing is prevalent, particularly in places known for felony-faceplant takedowns of upstanding citizens for merely carrying, flying under the radar is one of those options folks should consider. To be tolerant of such reminders is a virtue, particularly from a "1John5v7" perspective.

As well, folks should remember that it's also not unreasonable to pine or whine about the virtues or risks of CC or OC on the boards. The rules state that it needs to be done in the appropriate forum.

BTW: I both CC and OC, depending.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In places where heavy-handed policing is prevalent, particularly in places known for felony-faceplant takedowns of upstanding citizens for merely carrying, flying under the radar is one of those options folks should consider.
    Unfortunately, history (and RECENT history at that) shows conclusively that when police are abusive, allowing them to be abusive without consequences doesn't curtail that abuse. It encourages it and encourages the perpetrators to escalate that abuse, sometimes with fatal results.

You can have the kind of police you want. If you want BAD police, let them get away with stuff.

VIP Member
    A right unexcercised is a right lost....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by scottc View Post

So As I look at this you support the 2A-but only if it suits you-the 1A doesn't apply? The postings here are opinions-another right by the Constitution. Maybe you should stay away from any forum as there will always be someone with a different opinion. I welcome different opinions as I may look at things from a different angle-criticism or not. I take that angle and hopefully will learn by it. As for the topic of this post I see a lot of problems-mostly on the LE side. IMO I carry concealed to avoid this, BUT to each his own, I have no problem with people carrying OC-that is their preference.
    well, this is a forum revolving around the practice of the 2A. as it is, it's privately owned so the 1A doesn't apply here. i think his problem mostly about how, no matter how many times it's been repeated by the admins and the mods, people still feel the need to cross into the OC subforums and spout off about how stupid OC is, how much better CC is, etc, etc, and whatnot. there's a small few who do it on a regular basis.

i'm just sayin'.

there are places here in PA where i definitely wouldn't OC. in Philly, some police have threatened to put "two in the melon" of anyone they saw open carrying, or take other, violent and illegal means of discouraging open carry. check out the Domelights forum if you don't believe me ( a forum for Philly LEOs). the risk of getting hassled by uninformed LEO is one thing; i'm willing to take them on. the risk of getting killed by a thug in a uniform is another animal altogether.

i OC when i can, i CC when i have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Not really. Perhaps you both missed "This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry." at the top of every page in this subforum.
    You and others totally missed Dave's joke.

He wasnt debating OC vs CC. He was pointing out that some will.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Unfortunately, history (and RECENT history at that) shows conclusively that when police are abusive, allowing them to be abusive without consequences doesn't curtail that abuse.
    Sure. But not all who are abused can survive giving local law enforcement a legal drubbing, financially or otherwise. Some end up "dead." History can be a bear for those who rush it, in the wrong time and place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    You and others totally missed Dave's joke.

He wasnt debating OC vs CC. He was pointing out that some will.

You know, they say if you have to explain a joke, then you failed in your attempt at humor.........

.......does that still apply if someone else explains it for you?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Why can't we follow the simple rules set up by Bumper?

This post was in the "Open Carry Issues & Discussions" subforum.

The rules state: "This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry".

The topic of OC vs CC always starts a heated discussion that ALWAYS goes down hill. That's why this rule is in place.

You guys who even mentioned in passing that the poster should have concealed are out of line just as anyone who uses the subforum to sing the praises of open carry are out of line.

Come on guys, just let it go. I'm sure that Bumper and the Moderators are tired of spending their time as baby sitters.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sure. But not all who are abused can survive giving local law enforcement a legal drubbing, financially or otherwise. Some end up "dead." History can be a bear for those who rush it, in the wrong time and place.
    My response to ANY bully is "bring it."

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    It would have been so cool if only the PD would have only asked and verified and then let you go on your way as the frightend sheep who called on you watches at the cops leave the building and you remained armed! Maybe next time?
    It would have been even more cool if the PD would have done what was legal and, not seeing any behavior warranting suspicion of illegal activity, not bothered the OP at all.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    You know, they say if you have to explain a joke, then you failed in your attempt at humor.........

.......does that still apply if someone else explains it for you?
    I hope not. We can all be thick at times LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Just because someone might be "uncomforable " about me exercising my rights (including free speech), doesn't mean I won't exercise them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Just because someone might be "uncomforable " about me exercising my rights (including free speech), doesn't mean I won't exercise them.
    Use em or lose em. Sheep are so far detached from the real world because people stopped using their right to carry for fear of harassment. For them it's a win win situation, if you can't ban them then make it hard to carry them. The more people buckle the more they win.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    It's an abuse of power under color of law charge. A federal offense. Not only could the cop get prison time, he'll lose his job and the city he works for can go broke over it.

Opinions stating "should have concealed" are not necessary. I personally don't care what your opinion is.

Fact is, he open carried. And this is an Open Carry forum. Thanks.

Unfortunately, cops abuse their power a lot, and they're not called out for it enough. Whether or not he should have carried in a way you prefer, the officer in question still abused his power to enforce his opinion and not the law. Not only that, he used excessive force where no criminal activity was present.

Why do you all simply overlook this fact?
    I could not of said it better
    This is exactly the reason why i have not tried to OC even though in MI it is legal, people here just dont do it & i never understood why
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

I OC every day at this point. I'll be taking my CC class soon and I know I'll catch heat certain days for carry, but I don't care. A right not exercised is a right lost. I'll probably OC most of the time even once I get my permit unless I'm on a work related venture in my own vehicle then I would conceal. Most of my driving for work is long distances and I'm not wearing company insignia so I just OC during these trips.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links