First experience open carry, probably the last

This is a discussion on First experience open carry, probably the last within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at Target Greatland with my fiancée buying flashlights when, well, here’s the story. I was walking down the main isle, and notice three ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First experience open carry, probably the last

I was at Target Greatland with my fiancée buying flashlights when, well, here’s the story.

I was walking down the main isle, and notice three police officers walking towards me in an isle that ran perpendicular to me. I kept on walking with my fiancée and three seconds later. I hear, “get your hands on your head” while simultaneously my gun gets taken from my holster. I’m standing there, the female officer pats my down, then takes my wallet out of my pants and goes through it. The male officer ask me if it was a real gun and I replied yes and that I had a permit to carry it. He then asked me why I was carrying and I replied, I have the right to protect myself and my family. He then asked me the usual question: where you from, what do you do, ect. Then the officer said I seemed like a good guy, so he wouldn’t keep my firearm overnight. He told me someone called and complained. After that, he walked me to my car and put the gun in the trunk, and the magazine on the passenger seat. My fiancée kept shopping and checked out. As she was leaving the store, the officer said to her, “Just to reiterate, if he would’ve scratched his back we would’ve been totally justified in shooting him. Tell your fiancée to keep that thing concealed.”

Cliff notes:

1: They didn’t tell me who they were while giving me commands and taking my gun.
    -Problem: If I didn’t see the officers three seconds earlier, I would’ve thought some lunatic was trying to grab my gun, and instinctively, I would’ve put my hand on the firearm securing it in the holster. That probably would’ve ended up very very badly.

2: While the officer disarmed me, the muzzle got swung past my waist.
    -Problem: Obvious gun safety.

3: The Female officer frisked me and took my wallet out of my pocket and proceeded to go though it. -Isn’t this America? Plus my fiancée was pretty jealous.

4 The officer told my fiancée, “If he would’ve scratched his back we would’ve been totally justified in shooting him”
    -Now she is absolutely terrified of the police.

Is this standard procedure for someone who is open carrying?

Looks like they may have set you up to retire. I'd consult with an attorney (any good one will do a first consult for free) about a possible Color of Law lawsuit: Federal Bureau of Investigation - Civil Rights - Color of Law

I have one quick question that would help us with your very bad experience with open carry.

You list your location as "midwest." I would help us to know what state you experienced this in to let us know which state laws apply.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I have one quick question that would help us with your very bad experience with open carry.

You list your location as "midwest." I would help us to know what state you experienced this in to let us know which state laws apply.
    His location is MN = Minnesota, isn't it?

Yes. fixed.

The state of LA has open carry laws that allow the common citizen to carry open, but don't try it! You will go to jail!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    The state of LA has open carry laws that allow the common citizen to carry open, but don't try it! You will go to jail!

Yep! Technically it could be like the wild west here...and it would be legal. But I have yet to see someone open carry in plain clothes. I am tempted to on a daily basis...but I figure its not worth the hassle.....which is a true shame. So I just keep it concealed.
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

The cop is a jerk. He knows damn well he couldn't shoot you "for scratching your back". He is a badge heavy cop trying to intimidate your fiance and yourself. I wouldn't let it discourage you, only encourage you.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 13th, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Language.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I would be calling an attorney so fast their heads would spin. Can police officers be charged with making a terroristic threat?

Distinguished Member
    With all these 20/20 and 60 min. shows, plus all of the shootings that have been in headlines, with police officers being killed and what you went through. I think it is a good idea to keep it covered. I would make a complaint, with the Department on how you were handled. It would help if you got the names of a witness and the officers names.

MN is a licensed OC state, correct?

I'd have to follow up on that one officially. Completely uncalled for and unprofessional. I hope you have the names of the officers involved.

Of course, it never would have happened had you been cc'ing......

Sorry, someone had to say it!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The cop is a jerk. He knows damn well he couldn't shoot you "for scratching your back". He is a badge heavy cop trying to intimidate your fiance and yourself. I wouldn't let it discourage you, only encourage you.
    AMEN!
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I would be calling an attorney so fast there heads would spin. Can police officers be charged with making a terroristic threat?

It's an abuse of power under color of law charge. A federal offense. Not only could the cop get prison time, he'll lose his job and the city he works for can go broke over it.

Opinions stating "should have concealed" are not necessary. I personally don't care what your opinion is.

Fact is, he open carried. And this is an Open Carry forum. Thanks.

Unfortunately, cops abuse their power a lot, and they're not called out for it enough. Whether or not he should have carried in a way you prefer, the officer in question still abused his power to enforce his opinion and not the law. Not only that, he used excessive force where no criminal activity was present.

Why do you all simply overlook this fact?

Minnesota issues a carry permit, the carry can be open OR concealed and both are perfectly legal.

I would file a complaint with the police department. Contacting a lawyer is up to you, it depends on your drive. At a minimum, you should emphasize the gun safety as you were disarmed, that they did not identify themselves as police immediately, and that as soon as you showed your CCP it should have been over for you.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

John if you make this the last time you OC then you've allowed the goons to intimidate you into submission and the reliquishment of your rights. I hope you'll report this incident, obtain legal counsel, and begin OC on a more frequent basis. In fact, I might even go back to the same location, again OC, with the addition of a voice recorder.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links