Open Carry at the Scranton Tea Party...

This is a discussion on Open Carry at the Scranton Tea Party... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..was a non issue, of course. i actually forgot that it was today; i was downtown, walking around with my daughter, while my son was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry at the Scranton Tea Party...

Open Carry at the Scranton Tea Party...

..was a non issue, of course.

i actually forgot that it was today; i was downtown, walking around with my daughter, while my son was sitting in a doctor's office with his mom. it was a decent turnout; not traffic stopping, but traffic slowing.

my daughter couldn't care less about abolishing property taxes, though. "dad! i said i'm HUNGRY!"

"alright, alright..."

there are a couple of hot dog stands in the area. i find this comforting. a city isn't a city without mobile food vendors. while a falafel stand would be aces, i'll settle for a Sabrett's hot dog. my kid, though, is used to Goodheinz hot dogs, and she saw a Subway across the street. she equates Subway with huge cookies. "DAD! SUBWAY! SUUUUBWAAAYY!!!"

"alright, alright..."

i walked in, and stood in line. the place had enough people in it. while i stood there, i was approached by a guy in a Subway shirt. "uh, sir, you can't have that in here."

"huh?"

"you can't have that gun in here."

"do you work here?"

"yes, sir. i'm sorry."

"sorry for what? sorry you work here, or sorry you want me to leave?"

"i'm sorry i have to ask you to leave."

"ah. is it corporate policy to bar legally carried guns from Subway?"

"i'm not sure, sir."

"well, it's cool, either way. no problem. let's go, Li."

"BUT DAD? MY COOKIE?"

"sorry baby. he said i have to leave," motioning to the Subway guy, who now looked clearly embarrassed. "c'mon, i'll get you a hot dog, and a soda." i don't let my kids drink soda very often.

we shuffled on outta there, and back across the street, to a hot dog stand. "whatchoo need, boss?" chirped the man in the cart.

"tell him, baby."

"I NEED A HOT DOG, WITH KETCHUP. AND A BUN! DON'T FORGET THE BUN."

he smiled, and said, "you sure you want a bun?"

"YES. I"M SURE!"

"the lady knows what she wants."

"don't they all? and we spend our lives, trying to figure it out."

"truth, brother. truth. what does the lady wanna drink?"

"A SODA!"

"what kind?"

"A SPRITE!"

i grabbed her her Sprite, paid the man, wished him well, and left. i collected the rest of my family, and went home.

it's a beautiful day out today, the first in a long time. i hope everyone else gets to enjoy it as much as i did.

2. Remove Ads

You know, if you'd been cc'ing that never would have happened in the Subway..........

OK, OK, OK............IT WAS A JOKE!

Did the Subway dude really tell you to leave and admitted he didn't even know if it was Subway's policy or not? I don't suppose you asked him if it was just his policy, did you? Don't know if it was a corporate store or a franchisee, but it might be worth asking. If it's a franchise, it'd be interesting to know how the owner felt about knucklehead running off a paying customer.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

kpw
    Good to hear. Sounds like a good day. A good dog is better than Subway anyway!

I keep forgettting you people on the wrong side of the state call it soda, and you ain't had a hot dog til you've had a Smith's.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    ....I keep forgettting you people on the wrong side of the state call it soda......
    Let me guess, you call it pop?

(I grew up in northeastern Ohio)

Yep, sounds like a good day.

I could just see that hotdog man and hear him talking. Too bad Subway was posted. Maybe you could use it as an opportunity to illustrate to your kids how the Subway bosses don't want you to be able to protect your family. Who knows... your kids may be making those corporate decisions someday.

It's days like this with your kids that make good memories.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Let me guess, you call it pop?

(I grew up in northeastern Ohio)

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Not to get too far away from the original post, but when I first moved to New England they called it tonic. Yup, even a Coke was called tonic. Haven't heard it much in recent years, probably due to an influx of "outsiders."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Soda, pop, coke, cola, tonic, cold one, those are all used in my family to describe any carbonated drink. Military family thats lived everywhere, heck we even use a smattering of other languages. As to the Open Carry thing, if I ever get a business Im sure to post a sign "Concealed Carry Welcome, and Promoted"
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Sounds like your daughter is more comfortable with the sidearm than the 'sandwich maker'...she wants a Subway, he wants your gun gone.

I'll bet if the place was being robbed, he'd want to stand behing you.

Sounds like you made the best of the situation anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I quit eating at subway a long time ago. No great loss . Publix makes a better sub.
    Last edited by Tom G; April 15th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    As to the Open Carry thing, if I ever get a business Im sure to post a sign "Concealed Carry Welcome, and Promoted"
    Thanks for sharing your opinion in such a subtle way!

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Yep, sounds like a good day.

I could just see that hotdog man and hear him talking. Too bad Subway was posted. Maybe you could use it as an opportunity to illustrate to your kids how the Subway bosses don't want you to be able to protect your family. Who knows... your kids may be making those corporate decisions someday.

It's days like this with your kids that make good memories.

oh, it wasn't posted. the only thing i can figure is, there was a shooting in a Subway in a town called Altoona, which is another part of my state. someone died in that incident, an employee, unfortunately. i only heard about it an hour ago, so the guy might have been on his guard, or something.

like i said, i wasn't too upset. i hate paying $5 for a thick bun and no meat.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    oh, it wasn't posted. the only thing i can figure is, there was a shooting in a Subway in a town called Altoona, which is another part of my state. someone died in that incident, an employee, unfortunately. i only heard about it an hour ago, so the guy might have been on his guard, or something.
    sometimes it's more fun to just be the bigger person and not make a big deal about it. After you leave, those that witnessed it and the employees are left asking themselves, "what's the big deal" and feeling a bit foolish themselves. Make a fuss and you end up looking like the fool and justifying their fears in their mind.

like i said, i wasn't too upset. i hate paying $5 for a thick bun and no meat.
    No kidding! I've learned now to go to the grocery store deli and load up on sandwiches for the week. If you haven't been there, you won't believe the size of the sandwich you get for under $3bucks.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your opinion in such a subtle way!
    My state is Concealed Carry only, I actually would like Open Carry in my state. I was just thinking in my states laws, no slight intended to Open Carry.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Publix Rated #3 Supermarket chain in U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I quit eating at subway a long time ago. No great loss . Publixmakes a better sub.
    About a thousand times better than Subway.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links