Open carry in Michigan National Forests? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Open carry in Michigan National Forests? (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to write a letter to the DNR about this later today but I wanted to hear some opinions on this issue on ...

Thread: Open carry in Michigan National Forests? (Merged)

I am going to write a letter to the DNR about this later today but I wanted to hear some opinions on this issue on this site also. I wrote a letter a few years back about CC and I received a letter back promptly telling me that CC is legal in National Forests if the carrier has a license to do so. Here is why I am asking. Michigan is an open carry state. But, the National forests are of course under the jurisdiction of the Federal government. I will of course NOT carry open during my hikes until I get a letter back from an official at the DNR. Any thought or comments are appreciated as always.

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    I am going to write a letter to the DNR about this later today but I wanted to hear some opinions on this issue on this site also. I wrote a letter a few years back about CC and I received a letter back promptly telling me that CC is legal in National Forests if the carrier has a license to do so. Here is why I am asking. Michigan is an open carry state. But, the National forests are of course under the jurisdiction of the Federal government. I will of course NOT carry open during my hikes until I get a letter back from an official at the DNR. Any thought or comments are appreciated as always.
    Normally such things in National Forests go along with the state laws.

Regards,
    Jerry

If in possession of a small game license, I know your legal open carrying in the N.F., if your gun is legal under DNR hunting rules concerning number of rounds that it holds and a few other pain in the a** rules. Concealed carry with a CPL, your good to go.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If you have a CPL you can OC or CC without a hunting license and with any carry gun. No round restriction if you are not hunting. If you are hunting obviously you need the license and the gun you're hunting with must comply with the hunting regs, but not your carry gun if you aren't hunting with it. Example- I go squirel (sp) hunting with my .22 and under the authority of my CPL I carry a 10 shot .45 (too many rounds per hunting regs if hunting with that gun) I am legal. Just can't shoot game with said .45.

Capacity restriction is only with semi autos and only in the shotgun/handgun zone and only during the gun deer season.

DNR - Firearm and Bow and Arrow Rules

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Rifle Zone
    In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow and firearm.
    Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
    In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from November 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a bow and arrow. Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. Legal firearms are as follows:

* A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    * A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    * A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.
    A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Open carry in National Forests Answered

The Huron-Manistee Forest allows for transport of weapons in coordination with the State of Michigan. Although we do have special regulations concerning Camp Grounds, Developed Recreation areas, waterways, Buildings and a few other places where firearms are restricted by Federal Law. But in general if you are hiking in a non developed area, the gun is holstered, and in plain view, and there is no other legal reason you cannot possess a firearm, than you may carry it. If there is any specifics to your question, please ask, but as a general rule, other than the places I have mentioned above, the Huron Manistee National Forest has the same firearms laws as the state of Michigan.
    Thank you for asking,

Matt Spear
    Law Enforcement Officer
    Huron National Forest
    Mio, MI 48647

Interpet??

Maybe a Philly lawyer can.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

This was in response to a previous post of mine. I posted earlier about whether open carry in Michigan was legal in The Manistee and Huron National Forest due to those lands being under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government. The LEO was responding to my letter and informed me that it is indeed legal to open carry. I previously wrote a letter to the DNR asking if a CPL holder could legally CC in National Forests and I was told that that too was legal.

I think that the confusion arises from the different rules established for National "Forests and for National Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I think that the confusion arises from the different rules established for National "Forests and for National Parks.
    That is definitely where where some of my confusion comes from. But whenever I went to the National Forest to go camping with my friends we didn't camp in the Park. I did hear something a while back about a ruling regarding carrying in Yellowstone but I never did hear what the outcome was.

National Forest is OK.

National Park is not OK.

How about National Historical Parks? Is that a National Park or is it not? Calumet, MI is a NHP.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    National Forest is OK.

National Park is not OK.

How about National Historical Parks? Is that a National Park or is it not? Calumet, MI is a NHP.
    Any park or facility managed by the National Park Service, Dep't of the Interior, is not OK.

Keweenaw National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

And does that include the entire village or just the buildings that they manage? Local and state LE says it's OK to carry in the village despite the NHP moniker.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    Good question.

This is an odd case. I don't know which way to go. I guess I would defer to the local authorities.

FAQs don't help, either. (On an NPS web site, the FAQ section is where you will generally find the firearms rules for that park or facility, if any.)

Keweenaw National Historical Park - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service)

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links