We are everywhere (but does anyone see us?)

This is a discussion on We are everywhere (but does anyone see us?) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a farm in VERY rural southern Michigan. While conducting business a couple of men strolled up (they worked for the farm). One ...

Thread: We are everywhere (but does anyone see us?)

I was at a farm in VERY rural southern Michigan. While conducting business a couple of men strolled up (they worked for the farm). One of them had a Ruger strapped crossdraw in a Nylon holster with an extra mag attached to it. It was obvious that it was not his first day OC'ing...covered in cow manure (litterally), nearly toothless and seemingly an 8th grade education...my kind of people!

I have never OC'd as I carry concealed 100% of my waking life. Admitedly this is the first time I have seen anyone OC'ing other that at a OC event. I know it happens regularly...I just found it refreshing to see.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Here in my neck of the woods in Shelby County Tennessee (Not Memphis, small town and unincorporated areas of the county) open carry is fairly common. I personally know over 20 people who open carry, me being one of them. I OC the majority of the time here.

No one freaks out either.

But you are right, I would say about 95% of the people I come in contact with while open carrying are never aware that I have a gun on. Not because it is hard to tell, it's a Glock 23 or Service size (4 inch) XD .40 two tone, both carried in their Blackhawk SERPA holsters on my right hip with an extra mag on my left. It's just that most folks are so deep down in condition white that they never notice the gun's presence. That is a sad commentary on their ability to keep track of what is going on around them and it explains why most people always describe an attack on them as "coming from nowhere". Ity really didn't, they were just too unaware to see it coming.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thats always good to hear. No open carry in OK. But, hearing stories like these make me hopefull that someday it will happen.
    God Bless America!!

Nosights did we meet? If I didn't live so far away from you, that may have been me. I carry a single action .22 in a crossdraw holster. For the last 15 years I have been in the cattle market and spend many hours on farms and ranches carrying this way. I also run an animal control business part time so I carry this same .22 always. It is nothing more than another tool to me. It is generally covered in something (mud, manure, ect.). Even though I carry it very openly, few people comment about it.

No OC here in FL, but I will be headed to that SW area of rural MI you speak of...I may have to experiment a little...still IWB, just tuck my shirt around it...we'll see.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like back home in ND to me !
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Florida does have a provision for open carry.

Carrying

Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about the person without a license.

Exceptions:

* Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.

* Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting, while at, or going to or from shooting practice.

* Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms while at or going to or from exhibitions.

* Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or from such activity.

* Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe place or while going to or from such place.

* Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure indoor range.

* Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the personís manual possession.

* Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.

* Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms.

* Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so employed.
    It is consistently upheld in case law from what I can gather. But, if it is in case law then you went to jail and defended yourself at your own expense.

I personally would like to be able to open carry while in the woods. I have gotten a rash from my holster when camping, hunting and hiking.

But, I think that carrying in the open is a disadvantage from a self-defense stand point. It makes you a primary target for certain crimes.

A guy at work open carries a Taurus 9mm at about 4:30 in a Kydex rig. All I see is gun grab central.

I don't oppose open carry. I support it as I think it should be a right. I just don't think it is a better option than lawfull concealed carry...
    with zero retention.

No open carry in AR but I do open carry here on my property and anyone who comes to visit notices it right away and I can see the concerned look on their faces. As if the gun is magically going to jump out and start firing..sheep! stupid animals!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I CC here in florida, but when on my property I open carry, its just more comfortable. I was getting some firewood from a friend of the family, and my dad and I were both helping unload the truck at the house. I walk out, and so does my dad after getting comfortable. The family friend, a active duty sheriff, just kinda looked at us both and went "Like Father Like Son". My dad is never not carrying, and Im the same. He just had this really surprised look when I come out side, and so does my father, open carrying .45s.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper T View Post
    Nosights did we meet? If I didn't live so far away from you, that may have been me. I carry a single action .22 in a crossdraw holster. For the last 15 years I have been in the cattle market and spend many hours on farms and ranches carrying this way. I also run an animal control business part time so I carry this same .22 always. It is nothing more than another tool to me. It is generally covered in something (mud, manure, ect.). Even though I carry it very openly, few people comment about it.
    I am a little ways away from Utah...kinda neighbors...Kinda like the US is a neighbor to Africa
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Unless you are a MI resident you may not OC in MI however if you have a CPL aka CCW permit from another state feel free to CC!

Make sure you know the specific laws in the state you are going to and how they affect you as a non resident!

Sponsored Links