Milwaukee Chief Has Officers Ignore AG's Gun Memo

This is a discussion on Milwaukee Chief Has Officers Ignore AG's Gun Memo within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MADISON, Wis. (AP) – Milwaukee’s police chief says he’ll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Attorney General J.B. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Chief Has Officers Ignore AG's Gun Memo

MADISON, Wis. (AP) – Milwaukee’s police chief says he’ll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen’s finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully.

Chief Ed Flynn says officers can’t assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years.

He says that means officers seeing anybody carrying a gun will put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide if the person has a right to carry it.

He says it’s irresponsible to send a message that if someone carries a weapon openly no one can bother them.

Van Hollen issued a memo to the state’s district attorneys this week saying someone openly carrying a gun can’t automatically be charged with disorderly conduct. But he also said police have full rights to stop and question the person.

Flynn says his officers will do more than that in their efforts to fight crime.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The only problem with this guy is he hasn't been sued lately. One good multi-million dollar suit against him and the city will straighten him out. I'm just sorry I don't live in Milwaukee.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

He is a DOPE with an attitude... The department will be sued. Just cause you are an officer of the law does not give you a right to violate a law abiding citizen... Sounds like the first person one of his officers "takes down" without probable cause is going to win a very large discrimination lawsuit.

He basically said I don't care what the law is ,I will break the law as I see fir,time to fire him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Time for me to plan a business trip to Milwaukee, I need a government funded stimulus package of my own :)

On the other hand, it's a lot safer and easier to arrest the decent citizens than to deal with criminals.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

+1 to all of the previous posters!

If open carry is lawful and the AG gives it his blessing, I'm thinking that the first citizen that one of his people prones out is gonna get the keys to the city.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Maybe He thinks only Himself and He Guys can open carry. I think a law suit will follow down the road.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    The only problem with this guy is he hasn't been sued lately. One good multi-million dollar suit against him and the city will straighten him out. I'm just sorry I don't live in Milwaukee.
    +1

Me thinks someone needs to walk into to town open carrying. Have a friend with his camcorder rolling.
    I'd sure like 10% of that award.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I hope we can follow up on this story in a few weeks to see what is happening.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Is this pinhead related to Ray Nagin or did they just go to school together?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    geeez,
    this guy must be related to the former Harris County DA in Houston
    (for those that didn't know....he told Harris Co LEOs that they should arrest people for having handguns in their vehicles even if they were traveling, he said people would have to prove they were traveling; this in part led to our laws being updated for the better....no traveling provision)
    same type of mindset and arrogance
    maybe this chief will get spanked a few times and he'll see the light
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    geeez,
    this guy must be related to the former Harris County DA in Houston
    (for those that didn't know....he told Harris Co LEOs that they should arrest people for having handguns in their vehicles even if they were traveling, he said people would have to prove they were traveling; this in part led to our laws being updated for the better....no traveling provision)
    same type of mindset and arrogance
    maybe this chief will get spanked a few times and he'll see the light
    That's what's great about Colorado's law concerning loaded handguns in private motor vehicles: Anyone, resident or non-resident, CCW or no CCW, who can legally possess a hand gun may have one in their vehicle while traveling anywhere* in the state.

*Of course that excludes places where prohibited by Federal law.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    That's what's great about Colorado's law concerning loaded handguns in private motor vehicles: Anyone, resident or non-resident, CCW or no CCW, who can legally possess a hand gun may have one in their vehicle while traveling anywhere* in the state.

*Of course that excludes places where prohibited by Federal law.
    like I said....ours was fixed...traveling statute is gone, anyone may have one in their car anytime traveling or not (with the usual provisions like felons, members of street gangs, or someone committing crime other than traffic violations)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    already running here under the open carry forum:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rry-legal.html
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links