My first sheep freakout!

This is a discussion on My first sheep freakout! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you did well. I have yet to have a sheep freak out here in West Tennessee. But, if I do run across one, ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My first sheep freakout!

I think you did well. I have yet to have a sheep freak out here in West Tennessee. But, if I do run across one, I have several come backs for them depending on what they say.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I go to Henderson alot I have an aunt and uncle who live there. My Oklahoma CWL does not convey there. Can you get an non resident CWL in Nevada?
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I was standing in line OCing in Walmart on Tropicana in Las Vegas and a rather large woman behind me yelled,

"Excuse me, why can YOU carry a gun?"

My reply was, "because the law says I can. If you can legally own a gun and have it registered, you may carry exactly how I'm doing right now."

"Who can carry a gun?"

Again I reply, "anyone who can legally own a gun"

An older man directly behind me in line in a wheelchair then asked if I was carrying a .45 and I informed him that I had a .357 SIG. He asked if I had a CC permit and I told him I'd taken the class and that I was still waiting on my permit. He said he'd been thinking about doing the class as well because of all the crazies around. At this point one of the woman's friends piped up with the typical "wannabe gangbanger" comment of, "I'mma go get my gat right now!" I'm sure they were once again offended now that a fellow shopper had engaged with me in a conversation about guns. At this point I figured it was a lost cause and now that I had checked out and paid for my merchandise, now was a good of time as ever just to leave the situation. I just wasn't in the mood to argue with non-gun owning idiots that were pretending to own firearms. I felt that my job was well done making a few sheep uncomfortable!
    Good idea to oc until you get your cc. Las Vegas was just name the 5th most dangerous city in America.

Torrid, Is that the Wal Mart located nearby "The Gun Store" on East Tropicana? If it is I've been in that store many a times in my travels. It is funny the response you get from people who take issue with OC.

It would be interesting if we could organize a regular meeting of DC members in our respective locations. I'd be open to meeting a few of my fellow DC members from Vegas! Maybe a breakfast at some central location would be in order.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

"Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty and pig enjoys it."

"Never argue with an idiot. After a while, observers are hard pressed to tell the difference."
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    You are too nice.
    At the first question, I would have answered:"None of your business".
    And it would have been the end of the conversation.
    Actually, you're too nice as well. I would have added another adjective before the word "business".
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Someone saying "excuse me" about anything irritates me---he or she begins the conversation by issuing me a command. Combined with the "yelling", that would most likely have cause me to show her my back and say nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    "Excuse me" is meant to be a polite way of opening a conversation. What would you prefer?

Regards,
    Jerry
    There is a difference in how its used; If you say "Excuse Me" and then wait for an acknowledgment before going into your question or statement, that is proper.
    But now, because of ignorance, it is common to not wait for the acknowledgment. That is rude and annoying.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Registered Handguns in NV

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Do you have to register your guns in Nevada?
    There is no state requirement to register handguns. BUT, there is a law that within Clark County, Nevada you are required to register all handguns with the LVMPD. This does not apply if you live in Boulder City, NV.
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I go to Henderson alot I have an aunt and uncle who live there. My Oklahoma CWL does not convey there. Can you get an non resident CWL in Nevada?
    I'm pretty sure you can. If not, the Utah permit is accepted here and the Utah permit is slightly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Torrid, Is that the Wal Mart located nearby "The Gun Store" on East Tropicana? If it is I've been in that store many a times in my travels. It is funny the response you get from people who take issue with OC.

It would be interesting if we could organize a regular meeting of DC members in our respective locations. I'd be open to meeting a few of my fellow DC members from Vegas! Maybe a breakfast at some central location would be in order.
    Yep, that's the one. I've been in there carrying so many times that I've lost count, but this is the busiest it has been since I started carrying. No one is ever said anything to me before now.

A local meeting would be cool. I know there are a decent number of us on here. Just like that car show they call Cars and Coffee, we can call it Guns and Grits!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    There is no state requirement to register handguns. BUT, there is a law that within Clark County, Nevada you are required to register all handguns with the LVMPD. This does does not apply if you live in Boulder City, NV.
    Thats the first step in knowing where to go to confiscate them!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Handgun Registration

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Thats the first step in knowing where to go to confiscate them!
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. But, I have to work with the current laws to be able to carry concealed. All the hoping & wishing for what I consider is an very intrusive law won't make it go away.
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Excuse me!

"Excuse me" is meant to be a polite way of opening a conversation.
    English is a slippery language with many choices for getting a single idea across and, depending on context, many possible meanings for a single phrase. I admit that the original usage may have been an example of politesse, with the implied meaning of something like "You may consider my intrusion rude, but I'm not actually trying to be rude, so please excuse me...". Its current usage is anything but polite when leading into an insulting, patronizing, or condescending comment. My instant mental reaction is always "No I won't excuse you, don't tell me what to do, get to the point if you have one".

I don't know the precise origin of the modern usage, but it's frequently exemplified by comedians like John Belushi, Steve Martin, and Jerry Seinfeld. We've all heard them occasionally preface an insult with "Well, excu-u-u-u-u-use me, but...". I think this is the meaning most common in today's vernacular.

The woman mentioned in post #1 of this thread obviously used it with the implied meaning of "I will now demonstrate how wrong or stupid you are".

What would you prefer?
    I speculate that the woman in our example simply wanted to challenge Torrid's open carry, so in this case I would prefer her to say nothing. If she had been genuinely interested in learning details or discussing the legality of OC, I would prefer her to initiate the conversation with "Sir, may I ask you some questions about your carrying the firearm?" This is truly polite and allows the gentleman the choice of accepting or declining her offer.

[Note: posts 22-26 slipped in while I was laboring over this post, so they were not taken into account.]

VIP Member
    Way to go Torrid, it's always fun to stir up the every now and then.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It does make wonder what this lady would have said if there had been 2 or 3 people OC at the same time in line in front of her. I would have seen the look on her face in this situation! lol
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I don't deny that the way the woman probably said it was not meant to be polite. I understand the poster who first addressed it to mean he did not want anyone ordering him around by saying "excuse me" which he took to be an order.

I may have misunderstood.

I believe it is important to realize such things are going to happen with OC. Accordingly, one should realize that and carefully consider how he is going to react and reply.

I see no advantage to "telling her off" as I think some have stated in various ways. I would hope I could refrain from being rude, state my reasons, the law, and leave that person. I have never seen rudeness prove anything advantageous on any subject.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links