My first sheep freakout!

This is a discussion on My first sheep freakout! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tend to agree with you Jerry. There is a tactful way of trying to explain why we OC. If we come on too strong ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My first sheep freakout!

I tend to agree with you Jerry. There is a tactful way of trying to explain why we OC. If we come on too strong we run the risk of highly offending this type individual. I have not yet had a negative experience with OC to & from work. I do have the odd reaction from kids occasionally. But as to adults, I have had no problems with negative attitudes toward OC.

When it does eventually happen I'll try and be as tactful as possible based upon the degree of attitude this person has about handguns. There is no point in giving the public at large that we handgun owners are rude, crude and obnoxious. We should be trying to convert them to seeing our point of view as best we can.

But that's IMHO!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    rather large woman behind me yelled,

What I want to know is how LARGE was She.

If She attacked You, could You out run Her ?

Would You be able to defend Yourself, if She came at You ?.

Maybe She liked You ?. CowBoy.

I live in an OC state and I do not OC and it is situations like this that is one of the reasons I do not. It really is no ones business if am carrying so why advertise it. I respect the rights of those who do but I just think that it better that we just avoid this kind of thing.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I was standing in line OCing in Walmart on Tropicana in Las Vegas and a rather large woman behind me yelled,

"Excuse me, why can YOU carry a gun?"

My reply was, "because the law says I can. If you can legally own a gun and have it registered, you may carry exactly how I'm doing right now."

"Who can carry a gun?"

Again I reply, "anyone who can legally own a gun"

An older man directly behind me in line in a wheelchair then asked if I was carrying a .45 and I informed him that I had a .357 SIG. He asked if I had a CC permit and I told him I'd taken the class and that I was still waiting on my permit. He said he'd been thinking about doing the class as well because of all the crazies around. At this point one of the woman's friends piped up with the typical "wannabe gangbanger" comment of, "I'mma go get my gat right now!" I'm sure they were once again offended now that a fellow shopper had engaged with me in a conversation about guns. At this point I figured it was a lost cause and now that I had checked out and paid for my merchandise, now was a good of time as ever just to leave the situation. I just wasn't in the mood to argue with non-gun owning idiots that were pretending to own firearms. I felt that my job was well done making a few sheep uncomfortable!
    __________________________________________________ __

He asked if I had a CC permit and I told him I'd taken the class and that I was still waiting on my permit.

__________________________________________________ __
    In Texas you CANNOT carry until you receive your license. Is Nevada an open carry state.

One more advantage of my NO FAT CHICKS T-Shirt. They do not talk to me but if this one had. The response would have been because the Constitution says I can and I am not a coward. What is your husband going to do to protect you? Oh no husband big surprise there. Maybe you should start looking at yourself and stop sticking your nose in grown ups business
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I like the ol' standby:

"Because a cop is too heavy!"

:)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    You are too nice.
    At the first question, I would have answered:"None of your business".
    And it would have been the end of the conversation.
    YES!!! That is the best response, IMO, when an idiot starts yelling questions at you. Remember, simply because you carry a gun does not mean you have to answer every confrontational anti's rude remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    You're probably right! If I was thinking that would have been my answer.
    If it were me I was be as nice as possible, they could me mental midgets and call 911 for being "mean" to them.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    If it were me I was be as nice as possible, they could me mental midgets and call 911 for being "mean" to them.
    Exactly. Her next step to 'get even' would be to call the police and report a 'hostile man with a gun' - no matter how far she had to stretch the truth. Then she and her friends stand there smirking while you interact with police. Even when you are free to go, she has a twisted satisfaction that she somehow 'got you' because you wasted your time (something that she probably has plenty of).

If this ever were to happen, I think I would just reply, "because it's perfectly legal for me to do so" as plainly as possible and dis-engage (appear to ignore her from that point onward).

You have to ignore morons... but only for so long. Then find a witty reply for the situation, such as "you don't look like a person who's opinion I would rely on for much.... esp diet and exercising tips ".

Or.....

"If someone robs the place and starts shooting... I can always stand behind you for cover ".

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Actually, you're too nice as well. I would have added another adjective before the word "business".
    Regards,
    I was waiting for this one. I agree. But then, this is why I cc and would; even if FL had OC which it does not. Whups, sorry. I didn't check to see if this was the OC carry forum, first!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I try and explain anything if someone asks, but when it becomes obvious they just want to argue I tell them good day and please leave me alone now.
    I'm the same way. If someone wants to give me a hard time about it... they can off.

Otherwise I'll be glad to have a conversation about the 2A and PA gun rights, which in most cases it turns out to be.

"Excuse me, why are YOU asking me?"

I've had people drive by screaming, "Why are you carrying a gun?" out a car, then about 10 minutes later there was an officer dispatched to find me over the police scanner.

Another time while they were looking for me, I walked into a store to see if they had something I looked at and as I was leaving I was asked, "Is that a real gun?" I turned, smiled as if that was a silly question and said, "Yes." and turned and left. I walked by 2 officers getting back into their car as I was leaving and messages over the radio saying they couldn't find me....
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Excuse Me!
    but I really liked a few of the posts Including Anubis post about language.
    It is a shame that a low life can call the cops to have you hassled.
    Because if they are polite I will be as well.
    I like interaction with people, I usually will start a conversation while in line or other places.(Never in a stall) haha.
    If she was rude I would like to say " Because the voices in my head tell me to." Then smile and giggle a little, like a crazy giggle. And maybe say, "Maybe we all can talk about it, We like you." Could that get me in trouble?

Now to stand up for the fatty, (I am also Fat) Many people really don't know what is proper. They were raised like animals and pushed through the education system, and have no idea or desire to improve oneself. And many just dislike you for being you.

Smart thinking

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    I live in an OC state and I do not OC and it is situations like this that is one of the reasons I do not. It really is no ones business if am carrying so why advertise it. I respect the rights of those who do but I just think that it better that we just avoid this kind of thing.
    Yep, couldn't agree more.

We as carrying citizens, in most cases concealed, have chosen to do so for exactly this kind of situation. This is not a conversation we need to be having with a person whose opinion we are very unlikely to change (especially seeing as how their opinions are typically given to them, as they rarely have one of their own). The other poster who talked about potentially having the police called to deal with "a hostile person with a gun" is all to real.

And in AZ that is the kind of confrontation that can put your CCW in jeopardy, especially if some other do gooder "witness" tries to put any level of threat to your actions, including implying that you were brandishing even though all you are is carrying. Really not a good thing.
    Be prepared

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links