My first sheep freakout!

This is a discussion on My first sheep freakout! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier Then, watch all the gun control legislation just go away. Come on you don't really believe that do you? It has ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: My first sheep freakout!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Then, watch all the gun control legislation just go away.
    Come on you don't really believe that do you?
    It has already happened repeatedly it has no effect on the anti self defense fanatics. 2.5 million times violent crimes are stopped with legally used guns. Even when mass murders are stopped it gets such little media attention the public is unaware that it even happened.

February 12, 2007, In Ogden Utah: Kenneth K. Hammond carrying a concealed weapon stopped a massacre at the Trolley Square Mall in Utah

December 11, 2007, In Colorado Springs Colorado: After killing two people at a mission training school the killer drove 65 miles killing two more people in the parking lot before entering New Life Church carrying a rifle, two pistols and a backpack holding more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition. intent on killing 1,000 members inside the church. Which he would have done had Jeanne Assam been there with her legally carried handgun. Jeanne Assam a member of the congregation (not a security guard as the media erroneously reported) stopped the killer before he could begin his massacre

January 16, 2002, In Grundy, Virginia: Tracy Bridges & Mikael Gross stopped a mass murder at Appalachian School of Law, after lives were lost while they retrieved their guns from their cars, where they were required by policy to keep them. ( If college students legally licensed to carry concealed weapons been able to carry gun on school property no innocents would have died)

1998, In Edinboro, Pennsylvania: Restaurant's owner, James Strand stopped a killers rampage in Edinboro, Pennsylvania saving the lives of 240 students at a school dance a full eleven minutes before police arrived. One teacher John Gillette, 48, was killed

October 1997, In Pearl City Mississippi: Principal Joel Myrick stopped a slaughter at Pearl High School with his .45 after lives were lost while he retrieved his .45 from his car, where it was required by law to be kept. (Had legally licensed school principles and teachers been able to carry his gun on school property none would have died)
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Yeah my friend lost his wife and kids in the Mumbai massacre. He was the manager at one of the hotels and refused to tell the terrorists who the Americans were.

I just wish I was there...not sure how many I could have saved, but I am sure I could have taken down at least one perp.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

VIP Member
    Yeah my friend lost his wife and kids in the Mumbai massacre. He was the manager at one of the hotels and refused to tell the terrorists who the Americans were.
    Wow I don't know what to say. I hope I am never in that situtation.

Or What If?

Someday and I pray that day never comes, but I think it will, someday there's going to be an active shooter in a mall, maybe a mumbai kind of situation. It's almost a foregone conclusion. When it happens the odds are pretty good that it won't be a cop or a soldier to stop the rampage. It will more likely be somebody like those of us on this forum that shuts it all DOWN. Then, watch all the gun control legislation just go away. That's why we're sheepdogs.
    Or an ERRANT shot that hits a bystander could set us back.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I would have asked "Why, don't you?"
    Right on, good anwser!

VIP Member
    Someday and I pray that day never comes, but I think it will, someday there's going to be an active shooter in a mall, maybe a mumbai kind of situation. It's almost a foregone conclusion. When it happens the odds are pretty good that it won't be a cop or a soldier to stop the rampage. It will more likely be somebody like those of us on this forum that shuts it all DOWN. Then, watch all the gun control legislation just go away. That's why we're sheepdogs.

+1 Nice post!

I noramlly get the "Are you a policeman?"

If I want to have fun with them I usually answer with a startled look and then nervouly say..............."No.........why are you????"

Try it, it's really fun to watch their face!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trainer23 View Post
    Or an ERRANT shot that hits a bystander could set us back.
    With 2,500,000 times that a gun is used to stop a violent crime by armed citizens of course there are going to be errant shots. But as noted by George F. Will, of Newsweek in "Are We a Nation of Cowards'?
    Quote Originally Posted by George F. Will
    Only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."
    which is a pretty impressive when you consider that
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleck,
    Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606) (Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America,)
    While the media does play it up when an innocent gets hit they do not play it up as much as one would think due to the fear that the above facts are brought up. The anti self defense fanatics are pretty good about avoiding facts that prove that being armed is a safe reasonable way to assure rational laws abiding citizens do not become victims. It is worthy of notice that in each case that an armed citizen stopped a mass murder no innocents were hit.
    Concern of an errant shot is a excellent motive to practice and train to the very best of your abilities. It should not become an excuse for doing the right thing.IMO IF you have the ability to protect the life and well being of an innocent human being, you are obligated to do so. Many would disagree but that is what I believe
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Sorry. Not a chance. There are often potentially tragic situations averted by private citizens with guns. The media pays no attention because it does not advance their anti-gun bias.

point in fact UTAH mall shooting hero was a cop

I agree with you 100% on the support of the 2nd ammendment and Im a 15year veteran cop and firearms instructor and I would be the first to tell you most of the time we just respond "after the caranage" has occured. but the fact is the mall scenario has occured and it was a couple of years ago in "Utah" and the person who stopped that nutbag was a off duty cop. Not that a determined brave citizen carrying concealed could not have done the same thing, just that in that case it was a cop. And I wish a off duty "cop" was sitting in the classroom that day when that nut shot all those people. Dont knock the Police. No way are most of us against people observing their second ammendment rights. I dont even think you should have to have a concealed carry permit, if you are a non-felon and law abiding citizen the 2nd ammendment "is" your carry concealed permit. I can't stand gun control morons either.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

quit knockin the cops

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    With 2,500,000 times that a gun is used to stop a violent crime by armed citizens of course there are going to be errant shots. But as noted by George F. Will, of Newsweek in "Are We a Nation of Cowards'?

which is a pretty impressive when you consider that

While the media does play it up when an innocent gets hit they do not play it up as much as one would think due to the fear that the above facts are brought up. The anti self defense fanatics are pretty good about avoiding facts that prove that being armed is a safe reasonable way to assure rational laws abiding citizens do not become victims. It is worthy of notice that in each case that an armed citizen stopped a mass murder no innocents were hit.
    Concern of an errant shot is a excellent motive to practice and train to the very best of your abilities. It should not become an excuse for doing the right thing.IMO IF you have the ability to protect the life and well being of an innocent human being, you are obligated to do so. Many would disagree but that is what I believe
    Pure Rhetoric and malarky comparing Officer shootings to civilian shootings. The reason cops have more so called "bad shoots" is because we deal with dangerous calls on a regular basis and despite the uniform people do not behave and act the way they should. We are big targets versus a regular plain clothes civilian who do not find themselves in dangerous situations as often as the Police. Ofcourse our numbers are gonna be higher, im surprised they are not way more than the bogus 11% you cited when you consider the number of shootouts we are involved in versus a regular citizen. It's not even worth comparing. Its like saying Nascar racers have 11% more car wrecks than joe citizen. apples to oranges...not even close. I pulled my gun out in dangerous situations four times last week alone on various calls, how many did you have to address?
    I do agree 100% with your statement though about believing you are obligated to protect life if you have the ability to do so and I strongly support concealed carry for all law abiding citizens. I just get tired of hearing people bash the police performance when numbers do not address way too many other factors invovled.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Proving once again that Seattle is over run with pansy idiot cowards
    Don't you know it!
    I was born and raised in "Ya, sure ya betcha-Ville" but you couldn't get me to live in Seattle again.
    Too many sheep droppings to step in.

I have been asked that many times over the years, by many folks and my answer is always the same: It is none of your business how or why I carry a firearm....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Last year I was hunting up in Maine, I got a nice 8 point buck on the second day. My Buddie and I field dressed it, had it checked, brought it home to hang up over night. Decided to make a quick run to the store for a few things for dinner that we needed. He had his Beretta 92 on his hip, blood on his pants, hadn't shaved for two days, get the picture? OK, so he's walking down an isle and this little kid walking in front of his mother who was pushing a carriage says "Mommy, how come that man has blood all over his legs?"

She says, with her eyes perfectly straight ahead and quickly pushing the carriage by us "It's none of my business" and around the corner she went. We almost peed ourselves laughing.

I was standing in line OCing ...and a rather large woman behind me yelled,

"Excuse me, why can YOU carry a gun?"
    My first instinct would be to ask back "Excuse ME!!! How much do you eat at one sitting?"

In Missouri I got in the habit of OCing to and from work at a gunshop/range and was frequently asked questions but it was usually along the lines of "Would it be legal for me to do that?" "What do you have to do to buy a gun?" "What do you have to do to get a concealed carry permit?" I did get one, politely asked in a hushed voice "Excuse me sir, (wait till he had my attention) did you know the hammer on your gun was cocked?" I replied: Yes sir, that is the way it was designed and really the safest way to carry it." We then had about a 5 minute conversation on guns and went our own way. In line with the
    "Thrown out of Lowes" thread, I had a Lowes manager at the service counter look at my sidearm, smile and say "I like it when you guys come in, keeps 'em guessing."

One night after work I stopped in a grocery store that caters to the lower end of the economic scale, as I entered I saw a city cop in the office and assumed he was working security. I went about my shopping, about 5 minutes later I see him headed my way so I smile and nod to him, knowing I was about to get the "COP bump", just like a BG will ask an opening question to gauge your reaction so do COPs…

COP “Excuse me; were you aware your pistol’s hammer was cocked?”

Me“Yes sir, it’s basically a Browning design 1911 single action and it was designed to be carried cocked, it has 2 external manual safeties and this is a series 80 so it also an internal safety. So it is perfectly safe this way."

COP “Our pistols are double action on the first shot. That’s our safety”

Me “Yes I know, you're carrying an HK USP in 9mm. The problem with the double action on the first shot is that the first shot is a long hard pull; it takes a practiced marksman to keep his first 2 shots in close proximity to each other. (He gives a small nod of his head) I prefer the crisp clean let off of a single action every time.”

COP “OK, have a safe night.” And goes back to flirt with the night office gal (cute redhead)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links