I just can't OC - Page 2

I just can't OC

This is a discussion on I just can't OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by j1999t actually, im going through the same thing... i live in northern colorado and there are SO many gun owners, but OCing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just can't OC

Quote Originally Posted by j1999t View Post
    actually, im going through the same thing... i live in northern colorado and there are SO many gun owners, but OCing is just hard to get through my head... colorados gun laws are great, but i still cant seem to get myself to OC>..
    Drop me a private message man... I am in Northern CO (Greeley/Fort Collins) also, I just received my CCW permit and OC'd a lot before I had it, lets do lunch!!

If OC was legal here, I'd be doing it on day one. If it was OC or no carry, I'd have no legal choice. Options are good, and I would rather have the choice of OC /CC for good reasons. I would OC for myself despite what others may think about it. Being a poster child for the 2A would be far from my thoughts, and I don't figure it would make me a marked man either. It's just me and my personality having to test the waters. I'm one of those who believes experience teaches us vital lessons good or bad, and if you don't try something, you'll never know.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Many people including ourselves were conditioned by the media and other sources to more or less hide our guns out of view of the public. The idea of open carry still seems unnatural to many because almost nobody except law enforcement personnel carry out in the open. The days of being able to strap on a gun belt with one or two six shooters, and walking down the street with a loaded shotgun or lever action rifle are over in the minds of the "sheep" out there. Too many folks have been conditioned into thinking the police will get there in time to save them.

I honestly think the open carry movement is a good thing. The only way we're going to be able to help people realize that its not only criminals and cops who carry guns is by carrying ourselves and letting people know that the common man can protect himself and his loved ones (and ladies too). I think its time we come out of our shells and be proud for what we stand for. It is unfortunate that when we OC in urban areas we run the risk of being harassed by LEOs and even other citizens who view OC as reckless and dumb. I just like to think of what many African Americans went through during the Civil Rights movement. They too were constantly harassed but they stood up and fought, and guess what, the government heard them and they finally got what they were after.

For those of you who still choose to carry concealed, that is cool with me, as long as you are armed!

"A right unexercised is a right lost."
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Many people including ourselves were conditioned by the media and other sources to more or less hide our guns out of view of the public. The idea of open carry still seems unnatural to many because almost nobody except law enforcement personnel carry out in the open. The days of being able to strap on a gun belt with one or two six shooters, and walking down the street with a loaded shotgun or lever action rifle are over in the minds of the "sheep" out there. Too many folks have been conditioned into thinking the police will get there in time to save them.

I honestly think the open carry movement is a good thing. The only way we're going to be able to help people realize that its not only criminals and cops who carry guns is by carrying ourselves and letting people know that the common man can protect himself and his loved ones (and ladies too). I think its time we come out of our shells and be proud for what we stand for. It is unfortunate that when we OC in urban areas we run the risk of being harassed by LEOs and even other citizens who view OC as reckless and dumb. I just like to think of what many African Americans went through during the Civil Rights movement. They too were constantly harassed but they stood up and fought, and guess what, the government heard them and they finally got what they were after.

For those of you who still choose to carry concealed, that is cool with me, as long as you are armed!

"A right unexercised is a right lost."
    Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    Evertime I go out I think this is the day. But I just can not do it. I know I have the right to in my state but, I can't. Maybe i need to find another person that has to go out with..
    Sorry, first post, but just have to add, bravo subnine!

Don't take this the wrong way, but fear comes from ignorance regarding this subject. Not stupidity, I'm not trying to insult you! :P If you're going to OC, you need to know the laws of your state backwards and forwards. Unfortunately MI has some pretty confusing wording in some of their laws, but in general we have a lot of freedom to OC here :)

Take a few mins and chew on this....
    MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE - Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

There is a lot of information to digest in that first post, but it's all Michigan specific, read it and read it again, then read it again, and again.

Also, highly recommended...
    WASH, RINSE, REPEAT - Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Awesome site guys, glad I found it. I really appreciate the attitude already around here. There is far too many gun owners that frown upon OC. Thanks for the good work you guys are doing!

It is legal here in PA. Most of you probably read the thread on the soccer mom. However, I like most are a little apprehensive. I think me and my buddy are going to try it soon just to see what kind of response we get. I'll post my findings later.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    do you mean get preemption??
    Yeh, that's what I mean. For those unfamiliar, here's a note from opencarry.org about Missouri:
    While open carry is generally legal in Missouri, their preemption statute is unique in that it preempts the entire field of firearms law except for the regulation of open carry. Consequently, carrying openly in Missouri will expose you to a checkerboard of local ordinances.
    To the OP: if you can't find anyone to do it with, and still want to, maybe you could start small such as during a visit to the gas station. Paying at the pump gives you the opportunity to shield, or just leave, if you decide it's too uncomfortable. If you want, you could start small and go from there.

I just want to be able to OC when it is so hot out. It's hard to cover with cargo shorts on and a tank top. I only use a paddle holster cuz I don't like my IWB.
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by subnine View Post
    many people including ourselves were conditioned by the media and other sources to more or less hide our guns out of view of the public. The idea of open carry still seems unnatural to many because almost nobody except law enforcement personnel carry out in the open. The days of being able to strap on a gun belt with one or two six shooters, and walking down the street with a loaded shotgun or lever action rifle are over in the minds of the "sheep" out there. Too many folks have been conditioned into thinking the police will get there in time to save them.

I honestly think the open carry movement is a good thing. The only way we're going to be able to help people realize that its not only criminals and cops who carry guns is by carrying ourselves and letting people know that the common man can protect himself and his loved ones (and ladies too). I think its time we come out of our shells and be proud for what we stand for. It is unfortunate that when we oc in urban areas we run the risk of being harassed by leos and even other citizens who view oc as reckless and dumb. I just like to think of what many african americans went through during the civil rights movement. They too were constantly harassed but they stood up and fought, and guess what, the government heard them and they finally got what they were after.

"a right unexercised is a right lost."

As I've posted elsewhere I live in the 5th largest city in the U.S. and I open carry in banks, walmart, petsmart, fast food places, etc., and never had a problem. Maybe Arizona is unique, maybe not. But I agree if it is legal do it.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Evertime I go out I think this is the day. But I just can not do it. I know I have the right to in my state but, I can't. Maybe i need to find another person that has to go out with..
    I attended an OC event. I found when I was with other people with like interests it made it easier to OC. After the event, I started slowly by filling up at a gas station OC.

Then I slowly started taking my jacket off at a restaurant, then not even putting my jacket on. Worked my way up to OCing in grocery stores and gas stations. Then finally I just got used to it, and carried everywhere.

I still get a little skittish in malls ans such where mall ninjas might have a tendency to harass me about it, at any rate, if you take it slow, it's no biggie after a while.

It' got to be tough to do something that is legal and still get hassled.
    Some of the posts are very well written, and speak volumes about why it is a good thing to OC.
    I would just like to add my thought.
    I grew up in the Fascist state of New Jersey. And I do believe I was "Trained" by the government and media and sheep to feel guns are bad.
    Sheep need to learn that Good people carry guns too. They need more exposure. The more they see, the more Common it will become.
    I don't know who said it but here is the quote. "An armed society, is a polite society."

I just want to be able to OC when it is so hot out. It's hard to cover with cargo shorts on and a tank top. I only use a paddle holster cuz I don't like my IWB.
    Hello there. I am here in now sunny West Michigan awaiting my Don Hume OWB and came across your thread. I bought the OWB for open carry while hiking in the Manistee National Forest. If you find IWB uncomfortable would it be possible to wear a high rise OWB from High Noon or another manufacturer with a wicking undershirt like Underarmor and a polo shirt? I do not know how hot you get but the wicking undershirts help keep you cooler and you could cover up your pistol in the OWB if you cannot get comfortable with the idea of open carry in public. It is a tough one here in Michigan while legal it is not commonplace in most areas.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. OC isn't for everyone, just like carrying a weapon at all isn't for everyone. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

P45
    I can open carry here in CO as well, and i did so a few times before i got my ccw. How ever if you were to go to down town Denver and Open Carry through 16th street mall. I'd imagine people would stare at you like you had the Swine Flu.
    I only OC outside of town going to the mtns.

It takes some getting used to in order to OC. I've gotten very comfortable with it as I was not able to CC yet. I've probably got another 5 weeks before I can CC, but I'll enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I wish Missouri would change the OC law and get rid of preemption. Unless I've researched the law in every township that I might enter (something that's very hard to do), I'm not comfortable OCing and taking a chance on breaking the law by doing so. We have good CC laws, but not so much OC laws.

Some of you guys are very fortunate to have the clear options.
    Grady, if you ever come down to the Memphis area (Lord only knows why you would but if you do) please let me know and we will Open Carry all over the place. St. Louis isn't too far away after all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links