I just can't OC

This is a discussion on I just can't OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Evertime I go out I think this is the day. But I just can not do it. I know I have the right to in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just can't OC

I just can't OC

Evertime I go out I think this is the day. But I just can not do it. I know I have the right to in my state but, I can't. Maybe i need to find another person that has to go out with..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

Same here, dude.

I asked my CHP trainer this question about OC in NC. He was a justice department trainer as well, and told me OC was perfectly legal but rarely practiced. I noticed his factual, yet non-specific answers. His body language spoke volumes.

I got the idea that yeah, you can do it, but be prepared for headaches. I see guys going to/from the range OC, but no where else around here.

I guess I just don't feel like becoming the local poster boy for the second amendment.

The good news is that you have the choice and don't have to oc. I , too, can legally oc, but prefer to carry concealed because I want to keep to myself the fact that I carry/own guns.

I think you should do what feels comfortable. Stay armed and stay safe...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm sorry you guys either live in a state that frowns on it or you feel somehow that you just can't take that step. But, don't let it beat you down. The important thing is that you carry.

ZOC is very common here in West Tennessee. Myself and about 20 or more people do it here in my town. But I feel your pain guys. Please let us know if you ever take the plunge.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My instructor here in Western KY informed my class that yes, it is absolutely legal to open carry. At the same time, some LEOs don't necessarily approve and other citizens don't either and you can be asked to remove it by authorities or risk being sited with distubing the peace. I try to keep it concealed knowing this, but I don't always worry about printing (depends on where I'm going).

I'll be in MI for a couple of weeks this summer...not sure if I would try it in the Detroit area.....I would probably just keep it under my shirt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Most of the time I can't suck up the courage to OC, but today was nice and sunny, and warm, so I decided to open carry again. I had to give a friend of mine a ride to a couple places in town, and was carrying my Beretta M9 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard along with two spare magazines on the opposite side. I received a few double takes and odd looks, but nobody commented except my buddy who didn't realize I was open carrying until we were leaving the 2nd place we had to go to.

Then he said he would PREFER that I OPEN carry because he thinks its a deterrent and he knows I am armed. The knowing that I am armed thing doesn't make any sense because I told him flat out I am always armed if I am not at work, all my friends know it because I am required by state law to inform the person of my weapon before entering their home. But anyway, today was an uneventful open carry day for me!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I live in a OC state (KY) and while I did think about it I never have OC and it does not bother me. There are several reasons:
    1. I just do not like calling attention to myself, there is just no reason to advertise as I see it. Its no ones business that I carry.
    2. I really don't want to upset anyone or cause anyone any distress. Since I can carry concealed why bother.
    3. By OC I feel that I would make myself the immediate target of a BG who is out to cause trouble. With CC I am the unknown factor which gives me the tactical advantage.

I understand the 2nd Amendment rights stuff, but for the reasons I stated I just feel that CC is the better option. I have no desire to be the poster boy for the 2nd Amendment, I'm just concerned with personal defense.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    I live in a OC state (KY) and while I did think about it I never have OC and it does not bother me. There are several reasons:
    Let go through them one at a time.

1. I just do not like calling attention to myself, there is just no reason to advertise as I see it. Its no ones business that I carry.
    That is perfectly reasonable as far as I see it. Personal preference and all.

2. I really don't want to upset anyone or cause anyone any distress. Since I can carry concealed why bother.
    It shouldn't cause anyone any distress if you are simply carrying your gun in a quality holster and not doing anything illegal. If there are sheeple out there who freak out at the mere sight of a gun safely holstered on someones hip, I think it is doing them a favor to become acclimated to the thought that citizens carrying is not a bad thing.

As far as why bother since you can CC, there are times when it is way more convenient to OC. Maybe it is due to hot weather (might not be a problem in Ak but here in TN it can be) or some other reason.

3. By OC I feel that I would make myself the immediate target of a BG who is out to cause trouble. With CC I am the unknown factor which gives me the tactical advantage.
    I've heard this reason before and honestly I don't buy into the concept. Most bad guys are looking for an easy score, not looking for any resistance and the fact that you are armed will make them move along to another target. In fact, if you are CCing, it is possible that you may be more likely to be in a bad situation as the bad guy will be willing to rob the store or business you are in because he does not know you are capable of armed defense against him.

Food for thought...

I understand the 2nd Amendment rights stuff, but for the reasons I stated I just feel that CC is the better option. I have no desire to be the poster boy for the 2nd Amendment, I'm just concerned with personal defense.
    Again, personal preference, perfectly reasonable just like the personal preference to OC is perfectly reasonable too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Finding another person, or if you know enough people organize a picnic or an open carry litter clean up.

We've had a number of open carry litter clean ups in NH and they've been very successful.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Taking the first plunge into OC'ing can be a bit rough by your self, I didnt have anyone to OC with when I started. I was actually forced to....pants started to get a little to snug around the waits for my IWB Holster so it was new pants or OC. Luckily for me everyone who has ever said anything about my gun has been more curious about my gun then anything. Nice thing is if you dont like OCing you can always go back to CC

I wish Missouri would change the OC law and get rid of preemption. Unless I've researched the law in every township that I might enter (something that's very hard to do), I'm not comfortable OCing and taking a chance on breaking the law by doing so. We have good CC laws, but not so much OC laws.

Some of you guys are very fortunate to have the clear options.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I wish Missouri would change the OC law and get rid of preemption. Unless I've researched the law in every township that I might enter (something that's very hard to do), I'm not comfortable OCing and taking a chance on breaking the law by doing so. We have good CC laws, but not so much OC laws.

Some of you guys are very fortunate to have the clear options.
    do you mean get preemption??
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    It's legal here, but I choose not to. I prefer concealed. I might forget, and go onto the strip, where I would have a strong chance of enjoying a concrete lunch. Even without that, I just prefer to stay concealed. The only time that I OC is when I'm visiting back home in Virginia, and I'm eating in a restaurant. Va has a stupid requirement of not allowing concealed carry in restaurants, but allowing open carry. So, I pull my shirt out then tuck it behind my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    Evertime I go out I think this is the day. But I just can not do it. I know I have the right to in my state but, I can't. Maybe i need to find another person that has to go out with..
    actually, im going through the same thing... i live in northern colorado and there are SO many gun owners, but OCing is just hard to get through my head... colorados gun laws are great, but i still cant seem to get myself to OC>..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links